• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Storm Pia disruption - Thursday 21st December 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
We (2K22 sat at Cheddington for about 1h20 now) have got power back. Hopefully it stays this time. I guess everything going slow line for the rest of the day...
All lines blocked within the area with multiple stranded trains.

Staff are in process of cutting the conifer now, hopefully not much longer and trains can be moved
Power switched back on and lines reopen at Retford.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Southbound trains, at the very least, seem to be now moving past the location of the blockage at Retford!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Voyager (1A26) showing London Euston on the screens has just gone wrong line north through Cheddington, presumably to go onto the slows at Ledburn and follow us. The stricken train is on the fasts so I guess getting the slows open first is going to be more feasible.

Edit: it's continued north and it looks like we're going back too. Perhaps trying to get a partial service back up.

Last edited:

robbeech

Established Member
Southbound trains, at the very least, seem to be now moving past the location of the blockage at Retford!
The train at the front of the northbound queue and next in line are moving at the very least. Thing the front one is freight so might be steady to get going

liamf656

EMR is very much stopped today...
- Matlock to Derby suspended after a train had struck a few trees
- Nottingham to Worksop suspended as wires are down at Bulwell on the Tram line adjacent
- Nottingham for Newark blocked with 3 trains trapped

St Pancras routes are running with delays and a couple of cancellations, two Meridians fell victim to trees this morning

Slightly off route Crosscountry are diverting between Derby and Birmingham via Leicester due to various issues. Turbostar routes to Nottingham all cancelled to avoid making the issues worse

BRX

Established Member
ECML trains are leaving Kings Cross now, or at least mine is, the 1218 Lumo running about 90mins late.

There were quite big crowds on the concourse, unsurprisingly.

MarkWi72

On Traksy it seems 1Y33 and 2K27 got clear of Euston before the chaos ensued. They are at Watford and Milton Keynes. 9M50 at Rugby is 96 1/2 mins late and doesn't seem to be leaving anytime soon.

Essexman

Established Member
TM on 12.43 at Liverpool has said place wires down is a junction so all four lines affected. Hopes for update in half hour.

james_the_xv

Voyager (1A26) showing London Euston on the screens has just gone wrong line north through Cheddington, presumably to go onto the slows at Ledburn and follow us. The stricken train is on the fasts so I guess getting the slows open first is going to be more feasible.
1A26 looks like it's moved onto the Down Fast at Bourne End, MKC bound i'd expect?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
1A26 looks like it's moved onto the Down Fast at Bourne End, MKC bound i'd expect?

Yes, just edited my post, our driver has also changed ends so it looks like we will go back and they're trying to get a partial service going as far as Leighton or MKC. Guard hasn't given an update for ages but between what's visible and Traksy, RTT etc I can work out what's happening :)

We are apparently going back to Bletchley (only). I guess yet another drive to Aylesbury Vale Parkway on the cards, that's twice in one week! There's talk of RRBs but I suspect that option will be faster.

Last edited:

BRX

Established Member
I count 13 delayed northbound trains currently queued up between Newark & Retford.

Established Member
ECML trains are leaving Kings Cross now, or at least mine is, the 1218 Lumo running about 90mins late.

There were quite big crowds on the concourse, unsurprisingly.
Normal working on both lines at Retford, line speeds applies.

ChrisC

Established Member
EMR is very much stopped today...
- Matlock to Derby suspended after a train had struck a few trees
- Nottingham to Worksop suspended as wires are down at Bulwell on the Tram line adjacent
- Nottingham for Newark blocked with 3 trains trapped

St Pancras routes are running with delays and a couple of cancellations, two Meridians fell victim to trees this morning

Slightly off route Crosscountry are diverting between Derby and Birmingham via Leicester due to various issues. Turbostar routes to Nottingham all cancelled to avoid making the issues worse
I think the problems on the Nottingham to Worksop line must now be due to trees down further north. The wires were down on the tram lines near Bulwell earlier today but trams have been running normally now since mid morning.

Bigvernicus

All trains stopprd between London Euston and Milton Keynes Central since around 12.15 due to overhead line damage, as yet dont think it is down to the stom, as winds in the london area are not as strong as further north, all trains south of Milton Keynes are suspended those on route either stopped at stations or are being worked to stations and the lines cleared. London Overground are operating a normal service to Watford Junction, Southern services also suspended from Clapham Junction to Watford.

MarkWi72

I'm on the tip of the yellow warning area in the southern part of the West Midlands conurbation and the wind is certainly strong here. There's widespread disruption in the West Midlands, a little to the north and east of here on the railways. Maybe there's higher winds between Coventry/Nuneaton and Euston?

EDIT: Seems nothing is moving south of Nuneaton now and nothing south of Coventry.

robbeech

Established Member
I think the problems on the Nottingham to Worksop line must now be due to trees down further north. The wires were down on the tram lines near Bulwell earlier today but trams have been running normally now since mid morning.
It’s entirely likely but maybe not. They find it surprisingly difficult to pick up their towels they’ve thrown in on that line as it’s generally a bit of a burden that they’d rather not have to run.
They did managed a couple of busses I believe. I got to Worksop (in the car) just as a bus was leaving at around 0940 (roughly the time a Nottingham service would be leaving)

Established Member
There are media reports that Euston had been closed “to arriving passengers” (which I assume really means departing passengers wishing to board trains), due to serious overcrowding. Can anyone confirm?

LowLevel

Established Member
A 30ft tree down at Radford and issues further north apparently. They're just running a proving train now. Resources took a while to arrive as they were busy trying to sort out multiple issues on the Matlock branch and numerous stranded trains between Nottingham and Newark.

Established Member
There are media reports that Euston had been closed “to arriving passengers” (which I assume really means departing passengers wishing to board trains), due to serious overcrowding. Can anyone confirm?
I wouldn’t be surprised, one of busiest days of the week with massive delays and cancellations the station will soon reach dangerous levels of passenger numbers.

Established Member
I wouldn’t be surprised, one of busiest days of the week with massive delays and cancellations the station will soon reach dangerous levels of passenger numbers.

Absolutely. St Pancras and Kings + also massively busy. All in all a good day not to be at work.

Established Member
They're not letting anyone into Euston. Marylebone rammed with people trying to get to Birmingham.

londonmidland

Established Member
‘Some lines’ have now reopened out of Euston following OLE damage. Though I’d still expect disruption into the evening peak due to stock and train crew displacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.