• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stourbridge Shuttle Suspended 08/05/2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Noooo.... the answer is investing in subways with daylight LED lighting and CCTV, and maybe even widening them. Why should pedestrians have to WAIT in the freezing cold/blazing sun/pouring rain [delete as appropriate] while a computer decides when it can deign to hold up traffic to allow them to cross? In practice people tend to jaywalk, which isn't exactly conducive to 'pedestrian safety'. I agree about the Coventry Street subway in Kidder though, it has been in that burned out unlit state for months on end - damned incompetence I say!

Long subways are horrid places. Crossing on the level with long pedestrian phases and cars subject to a 20mph limit is much better.

The short subways we have in Milton Keynes work fairly well when well-lit and whitewashed because they still get natural light as well, but not long ones like Stourbridge or Chester. They belong in the 1970s. These days, it's finally being understood that town centres are for people, not cars. If you're going to put anything underground, put the road underground.

Having used it, the Stourbridge one way system is a horrible example of such things, anyway, so it could be broken there to allow better pedestrian access and the rest of it changed back to two-way.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

peteb

Long subways are horrid places. Crossing on the level with long pedestrian phases and cars subject to a 20mph limit is much better.

The short subways we have in Milton Keynes work fairly well when well-lit and whitewashed because they still get natural light as well, but not long ones like Stourbridge or Chester. They belong in the 1970s. These days, it's finally being understood that town centres are for people, not cars. If you're going to put anything underground, put the road underground.

Having used it, the Stourbridge one way system is a horrible example of such things, anyway, so it could be broken there to allow better pedestrian access and the rest of it changed back to two-way.
Stourbridge ring road is at least a ring, Kidderminster's is a horseshoe shape which has resulted in traffic congestion since the 1970s! Kiddy used to have a tram link between station and town, now that would be a good idea.......

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Noooo.... the answer is investing in subways with daylight LED lighting and CCTV, and maybe even widening them. Why should pedestrians have to WAIT in the freezing cold/blazing sun/pouring rain [delete as appropriate] while a computer decides when it can deign to hold up traffic to allow them to cross? In practice people tend to jaywalk, which isn't exactly conducive to 'pedestrian safety'. I agree about the Coventry Street subway in Kidder though, it has been in that burned out unlit state for months on end - damned incompetence I say!
Absolutely not. I "jaywalk" across the road at Chester to avoid the horrid subway. Other than that, I avoid backward thinking towns that use subways and stick with the more enlightened ones that use crossings. If they are programmed wrongly keep hounding the council to sort it out. They'll adapt the sequencing to the group who shouts the loudest.

Status
Not open for further replies.