• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Strange destinations in southern PIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzureOtsu

3 years ago, I was travelling on a west worthing service out of Brighton and all of a sudden the announcements started glitching out, it even called out the disused station Newhaven marine, I didn't know this was even programmed into the PIS

Unfortunately, I was only able to record the second half of these announcements, but I have put it on YouTube for all to see Youtube Link

Notable destinations in the video are Moorgate and Newhaven Marine

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Steddenm

It sounds as though the PIS had gone into test mode and read every station off they the PIS is programmed for.

As Southern is the same TOC as Thameslink, Gatwick Express and Great Northern some of the Southern EMUs can be used on TL or GN services at times, hence Moorgate (Thameslink), New Milton (old Southern route to Bournemouth) and Luton/Luton Airport Parkway (Thameslink).

Alex365Dash

Seems it’s just reading out every single station audio recording in alphabetical order in its database. I imagine they have two recordings for each just so the end of the audio doesn’t sound off.

AzureOtsu

What i don't understand is why it read out Newhaven marine, a long disused station.

Gloster

Established Member
I would presume that, although Newhaven Marine hasn’t been served by trains since (I think) 2006, it remained technically open until last October. “Change at Newhaven Town for a taxi service to Newhaven Marine”.

Energy

Established Member
I would presume that, although Newhaven Marine hasn’t been served by trains since (I think) 2006, it remained technically open until last October. “Change at Newhaven Town for a taxi service to Newhaven Marine”.
OP is on an older 377 from before 2006 so it would have had to be programmed in back then. When they program in the rest of GTR's stations they left it in for “Change at Newhaven Town for a taxi service to Newhaven Marine” or that it was too much bother to remove it and easier just to leave an unused audio file.
What i don't understand is why it read out Newhaven marine, a long disused station.
It will have the Newhaven Marine audio file on the train, it had gone into test mode and read out all the stations, including the ones which aren't usually read out.

londonteacher

It sounds as though the PIS had gone into test mode and read every station off they the PIS is programmed for.

As Southern is the same TOC as Thameslink, Gatwick Express and Great Northern some of the Southern EMUs can be used on TL or GN services at times, hence Moorgate (Thameslink), New Milton (old Southern route to Bournemouth) and Luton/Luton Airport Parkway (Thameslink).
Is it possible it has all Govia destinations? For example it said Northampton which is an ex London Midland destination. London Midland were Govia

AzureOtsu

OP is on an older 377 from before 2006 so it would have had to be programmed in back then. When they program in the rest of GTR's stations they left it in for “Change at Newhaven Town for a taxi service to Newhaven Marine” or that it was too much bother to remove it and easier just to leave an unused audio file.
Notice the lack of yellow hand holders on the edges of the seats in the video, perhaps this will help identify which train I was on

Parallel

Established Member
Interesting that 2 Julie Berry recordings seem to exist for some stations but not all! There was also a video of something similar from Scotland quite a few years ago

Energy

Established Member
Notice the lack of yellow hand holders on the edges of the seats in the video, perhaps this will help identify which train I was on
Its got the older style of seats (not ironing boards) so got to be either a /1 /2 /3 or /4, all of which were built before 2006.

aleggatta

Never thought this info would ever be useful, but going by that video, the decals that are fitted and the arrangement of the handrails/lack of 1st class doors, you are sitting in a DMOS of a lot 1b or lot 2, and in unit numbers lot 1b starts at either 377110 or 377130(pretty sure the latter) up to end of the /1s. Lot 2 is 377201-215.

Also worth stating, I'm not aware of that test mode exhibited in the video, when I prepped it was either PIS test in the PIS settings page, or what I'd call PIS code bingo to see what the most unusual destination that could be found. Never did find the code for MKC, as much as I liked the irony of wanting to use it on a DC only unit!

Shame you weren't sitting in the table the other side of the aisle! You'd have caught a nice shot of the coach number!

Steddenm

Southern were to continue with the service to Rugby and the Electrostars have been to Rugby on numerous occasions. Not only on delivery runs (as the story below states) but also as an extension to the Milton Keynes Central services. I think the reason they were canned was due to improvement works on the WCML.

unnamed (2).jpg

Image and story from https://images.app.goo.gl/wws9F4WZmYvUc61K6

RichardKing

Never thought this info would ever be useful, but going by that video, the decals that are fitted and the arrangement of the handrails/lack of 1st class doors, you are sitting in a DMOS of a lot 1b or lot 2, and in unit numbers lot 1b starts at either 377110 or 377130(pretty sure the latter) up to end of the /1s. Lot 2 is 377201-215.
It would have to be a unit between 377 140 and 165, seeing as it's not in the style of the ex-Connex 377 101-139 units.

aleggatta

It would have to be a unit between 377 140 and 165, seeing as it's not in the style of the ex-Connex 377 101-139 units.
Ah fair enough, always get mixed up with the differences between the toilet system changes (changes at 110) CCTV systems (which change at 130) and the seating layouts. mind you I can't see how it couldn't be a 3772xx as the interiors on those are identical to that of the late 1's (they were effectively the same batch interior design wise but additional AC equipment)

RichardKing

Ah fair enough, always get mixed up with the differences between the toilet system changes (changes at 110) CCTV systems (which change at 130) and the seating layouts. mind you I can't see how it couldn't be a 3772xx as the interiors on those are identical to that of the late 1's (they were effectively the same batch interior design wise but additional AC equipment)
Oh that's true, it could be a /2 as well. I think the seating layout and overall comfort of the 101-119 units are by far the best.

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Used to love driving 387s.

Sherborne, Yeovil Junction, various Southeastern stations (etc.) all programmed in.

21C101

Established Member
I remember when 319's had Dunstable on the blinds and the (current) Croydon Trams had Embankment and Purley on theirs.

Used to love driving 387s.

Sherborne, Yeovil Junction, various Southeastern stations (etc.) all programmed in.
Were they planning to fit a generator or push pull working with Class 33s?

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
I remember when 319's had Dunstable on the blinds and the (current) Croydon Trams had Embankment and Purley on theirs.

Were they planning to fit a generator or push pull working with Class 33s?

Or they have just pre-loaded stacks of information into the system, future-proofing for almost anything. What a nice idea!

Parallel

Established Member
They might also have additional stations in the recording bank for information regarding connections announced as the train approaches an interchange station like Clapham Junction or Southampton Central. I know GWR’s IETs have Bournemouth included which triggers when they approach Reading.

Bedpan

Established Member
I remember when 319's had Dunstable on the blinds
I remember that, or at least seeing a picture in the railway magazine of one showing Dunstable North as the destination. I can't for the life of me remember whether there was any form of automatic public address system in those days or whether the driver just read out the calling points periodically, but if there had been, I assume Dunstable Town and Dunstable North would have been included.

Energy

Established Member
Just out of interest, what is the message scrolling on the dot matrix indicator in the video?
This is a Southern service from unsure to Hove
The current PIS on Sprinters operated by Northern, for reasons I can't even begin to understand, has FCC programmed in! See video below:
Maybe they programmed the Sprinters and 319s the same way so FCC came from the 319s.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
This is a Southern service from unsure to Hove

Maybe they programmed the Sprinters and 319s the same way so FCC came from the 319s.

The 319s internal PIS was never fitted in the end when with FCC. The mountings just had a "Coming Soon!" notice on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.