• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Strange happening at Tamworth 10/08

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugby

Established Member
I can't make sense of the RTT report for the 1445 XC service from Cardiff to Nottingham today.

On time passing Five Ways at 1642.
Departed New Street 50 late.
Proof House 96 late
Water Orton 82 late
Kingsbury 1700 right time
Tamworth 1713, 5 late, train terminated due to high winds.

I understand a couple of following North East services may have been diverted via Lichfield City to Wichnor but Tamworth seems an odd place to terminate an XC service. Could a tree have been down?
What would have happened to the passengers who were turfed out at Tamworth, particularly if there were no following services? I imagine it would have been well loaded.
Also, what would have happened to the empty unit, is there a crossover at Tamworth by which it could have returned to Birmingham?

Does anyone have any further details?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DavidGrain

Established Member
This is a post I have made on the thread
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/weather-related-disruption-10-08.188188/#post-4147567

Was at Birmingham New Street this evening. XC trains badly affected by tree on line near Tamworth. My sister going for the 1933 to Reading actually caught the 1833 running an hour late and was advised to get off at Leamington and catch the following train 4 minutes behind as her train was being terminated at Banbury.

All Nottingham trains cancelled so the Newcastle train was making extra stops at Tamworth and Burton on Trent. The Leeds train diverted via Lichfield with a bus from there to Tamworth.

Separately a train from London was expected 30 minutes late.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I can't make sense of the RTT report for the 1445 XC service from Cardiff to Nottingham today.

On time passing Five Ways at 1642.
Departed New Street 50 late.
Proof House 96 late
Water Orton 82 late
Kingsbury 1700 right time
Tamworth 1713, 5 late, train terminated due to high winds.
I wouldn't trust RealTimeTrains!

The train departed New Street on time; see: See: https://www.opentraintimes.com/schedule/P38393/2019-08-10

The times you are seeing at Proof House Jn & Water Orton are the times the unit would have passed in the opposite direction; those times would be impossible otherwise without time travel ;)
I understand a couple of following North East services may have been diverted via Lichfield City to Wichnor but Tamworth seems an odd place to terminate an XC service. Could a tree have been down?
Yes https://twitter.com/nationalrailenq/status/1160248581531602944
A tree is blocking the railway between Tamworth and Derby. You can also use Arriva Midlands on bus 110 from Birmingham to Tamworth. ...
What would have happened to the passengers who were turfed out at Tamworth, particularly if there were no following services? I imagine it would have been well loaded.
Presumably either by bus to Derby/Lichfield or back to Birmingham. (edit: bus to Lichfield; just seen post above)
Also, what would have happened to the empty unit, is there a crossover at Tamworth by which it could have returned to Birmingham?
There isn't a crossover at Tamworth itself but you can see crossovers in the vicinity on Traksy.

Mugby

Established Member
Thanks very much for the information. I'd just arrived back at Derby at 1900 (from Sheffield) and passengers for Birmingham were being advised to travel by EMT to Leicester and change there.

Status
Not open for further replies.