• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Strange regulation Derby - Sheffield 2/03.

Mugby

Established Member
Today (Saturday) I was at Derby to get the 1229 EMR service to Sheffield. It was late arriving due to some trouble on the train and was further delayed at Derby whilst several BTP officers took witness contact details, it eventually departed at 1252.
Whilst I was sitting on it, I saw the 1245 XC service to York depart on time and I wished I'd taken that train instead. However, the XC was held at the first signal north of Derby for almost 10 minutes and the EMR service went ahead of it, so I thought perhaps I'd made the right choice after all.
Then, on reaching Clay Cross, the EMR was slowed and crossed onto the Down Erewash Line at Clay Cross North Junction. It was brought to a stand at Chesterfield South Jcn. and the XC service overtook us on the Down Fast from Derby, obviously because it wasn't stopping at Chesterfield.

I couldn't understand why the XC service was stopped and made late north of Derby when it could have run on time to Sheffield, then the EMR was stopped to allow the XC to overtake and regain some of it's lost time!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spartacus

Established Member
The BTP attention wasn't expected to last half as long as it did, I think by the time it was realised when it would be departing it'd take just as long for the route to time out and reset for the XC as to just let the EMR go. They were crossed back at Clay Cross to give the XC a chance of regaining it, which it managed, departing on time from Leeds.

Mugby

Established Member
The BTP attention wasn't expected to last half as long as it did, I think by the time it was realised when it would be departing it'd take just as long for the route to time out and reset for the XC as to just let the EMR go. They were crossed back at Clay Cross to give the XC a chance of regaining it, which it managed, departing on time from Leeds.
Thanks for the information.
Another thing I noticed when the EMR approached Clay Cross was a Northern 195 unit on the 1219 Nottm-Leeds service going ahead on the Down Erewash line. This, I thought, would cause further delay by virtue of stopping at Dronfield but apparently it was cancelled at Nottingham and was returning empty towards Sheffield, don't know if it ran via Dronfield or Barrow Hill though.