• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Strangest bus destination screens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

James101

Don’t think Warrington’s use on the display on the Cheshire Cat routes has been mentioned?

The LED display is used to depict an animated cat ‘peeking’ onto the screen, alternating with the word ‘CAT’ e.g. ‘Northwich CAT9’

Attachments

• 2A763D36-BB29-452B-8C07-372E6A6CBB9D.jpeg
    2A763D36-BB29-452B-8C07-372E6A6CBB9D.jpeg
    839.8 KB · Views: 89
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kez19

Established Member
I guess if you live within the area for this one at least if you are looking for the GCHQ -- I understand people work there but yet I thought areas like this would be off limits, guess not :)

MotCO

Established Member
I guess if you live within the area for this one at least if you are looking for the GCHQ -- I understand people work there but yet I thought areas like this would be off limits, guess not :)

As an aside, I found it strange that in Cheltenham there were clear direction signs for GCHQ - I thought that it was the secret headquarters!

kez19

Established Member
As an aside, I found it strange that in Cheltenham there were clear direction signs for GCHQ - I thought that it was the secret headquarters!

I guess Google/Apple maps tell you where it is also :lol:

CBlue

That Merseybus reminds me of when I used to work at Timeline in the late 90's, they had destination boxes that allowed you to independently set 'route' and 'destination' ... the route option had every number AND letter available along with a digital version of a roller blind (all types of towns and destinations around Lancashire and Greater Manchester, presumably done so any routes that changed or got won on tender could easily be set without the constant need to reset the destination boxes) .. a couple of the regular tame ones I can post were usually someone putting 'S' as a route number and 'HAG FOLD' (Nr. Atherton) ... Route BEN going to DOVER LOCK in Abram... or the always witty 1ST (or 2ND) MANCHESTER.... which ended up owning them anyway

A Glaswegian driver once told me about the "Ring and Ride" service which was available as a destination. Took on another meaning if you set the number blinds to "ME".....

kez19

Established Member
18918849711_1bcb340384_o.jpg

I guess this is when things go wrong with destination displays! the "16" (2) and in different fonts!

kez19

Established Member
Here is another I believe its from ARRIVA Yorkshire destination is pretty unreadable but the number is on display (this is a similar case I have seen with one of the Stagecocach Strathtay buses I spoke about awhile back) with the pic below just change it that the display was rolling and the whole screen was unreadable!

TheSel

We've had several variations on the 'Not in Service' theme, but what about this? Exactly the opposite, in Letham, a district of Perth, 1 July 1989. A positive confirmation of being 'On Service'.

1593274954797.png

(close-up, for clarity)

1593275056652.png

kez19

Established Member
I guess this one gets its message across! (not sure if this was the same bus that was trialled out in Newcastle for Go North East)

kez19

Established Member
I don't know the area but can someone explain the service? The display says: Crook Town Service but says "water" next to it?

duncombec

I don't know the area but can someone explain the service? The display says: Crook Town Service but says "water" next to it?

It seems that one of the terminus points is Watergate Estate, which may at least explain the word, if not the positioning on the display.

kez19

Established Member
It seems that one of the terminus points is Watergate Estate, which may at least explain the word, if not the positioning on the display.

Aah thanks for that! At a guess its been an error inputting on system? The display would then be really saying:
Crook Town Service ---- 84
Watergate Estate

For the explanation it does make sense :)

TheSel

Aah thanks for that! At a guess its been an error inputting on system? The display would then be really saying:
Crook Town Service ---- 84
Watergate Estate

For the explanation it does make sense :)
For what it's worth, Rossendale (now Rosso) used to have services that terminated at Water, so 'Water' appeared on linen blinds. Still served (routes 483 / 883), but seemingly no longer a terminus,

1593618552694.png
[Caption - added as requested in post #469 below: Rossendale 12 - JDK912P - an East Lancs bodied Bristol RESL6L - makes the point described in my post, displaying 'WATER' on its linen destination blind. Photo taken at the 'Water' terminus of what was then route '5', on Saturday 31 December 1988]

And, of course, Crosville used to have a route numbered H20 (H2o). :rolleyes:

Last edited:

kez19

Established Member
For what it's worth, Rossendale (now Rosso) used to have services that terminated at Water, so 'Water' appeared on linen blinds. Still served (routes 483 / 883), but seemingly no longer a terminus,

View attachment 80228

And, of course, Crosville used to have a route numbered H20 (H2o). :rolleyes:

The more you know...

Status
Not open for further replies.