• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stratford (London )- Canopys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pugwash

It appears only the Suburban and Underground / DLR Platforms have canopy's given the usage ( particularly over the olympic period ) this would seem to be an oversight.

Is anyone aware why platforms 9 and 10 were left out ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

asylumxl

Established Member
I'm not really sure but I know a lot of freight passes through those platforms if they are the ones I am thinking of. Perhaps it's something to do with clearance?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The suburban (and LU) platforms already had canopies - they were altered over the last few years to match the straightened platform edge, (eg P5?) and the lengthening for longer trains and the area around the new lifts at the London end.

The current DLR and new LO platforms were completely new - so I'd expect TfL specified canopies for the new build.

The long distance platforms on the other hand had no existing canopies (apart from over the stairwells) to extend or alter, so I doubt it was an oversight - there was nothing there to extend or alter so maybe it was just outside the scope of the project.

dk1

Veteran Member
The suburban (and LU) platforms already had canopies - they were altered over the last few years to match the straightened platform edge, (eg P5?) and the lengthening for longer trains and the area around the new lifts at the London end.

The current DLR and new LO platforms were completely new - so I'd expect TfL specified canopies for the new build.

The long distance platforms on the other hand had no existing canopies (apart from over the stairwells) to extend or alter, so I doubt it was an oversight - there was nothing there to extend or alter so maybe it was just outside the scope of the project.

Platforms 9 & 10 where never intended to be used much originally. In fact BR had no confidence in the Docklands & Canary Wharf area hence the 80/70mph speeds on UM/DM & the spaced signalling for this which was carried out during resignalling in the 90s. As times went on inter-connecting passengers grew a miss-match of shelters & seating appeared. This has been greatly tidied up in time for the Olympics & other subways re-opened but there would be little or no roon for a canopy. Perhaps the best result would be the European style of a full overall roof across the entire site. Now the Olympics are nearing the end i cannot see a chance of this anytime this century.

Status
Not open for further replies.