• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stratford (London) to Gatwick Airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

JW16

Hello

I have a PAYG Oyster card. Does anyone know whether it will be cheaper tomorrow off-peak to travel from Stratford-London Bridge-Gatwick using my Oyster card for the whole journey, or Oyster between Stratford-LB and then a one-way paper ticket bought at London Bridge for the LB-Gatwick section?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Cheaper to use Oyster the whole way. Even cheaper to touch out and in again at East Croydon. Cheaper still to avoid London Bridge and get to East Croydon via Canada Water and New Cross Gate.

JW16

Thanks! I'm conscious of additional changes as we will have luggage, do you think it will be worth changing at Canada Water and NCG rather than just at LB?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Stratford to Gatwick via London Bridge: £10.20
Stratford to Gatwick via Canada Water: £8.60
Stratford to East Croydon via London Bridge: £4.70
Stratford to East Croydon via Canada Water: £2.50
East Croydon to Gatwick: £3.00

All adult off-peak fares

Veteran Member
Thanks! I'm conscious of additional changes as we will have luggage, do you think it will be worth changing at Canada Water and NCG rather than just at LB?

There are reasonable chances off peak of cross platform connections at New Cross Gate (in fact, of same platform connections at e.g. Sydenham) or at Norwood Junction (from the West Croydon branch of LO only).

To avoid the change at East Croydon (if you wish) you need to join the London Bridge-Horsham service which is booked cross platform at Norwood but NOT at NXG.

JW16

Thanks very much, we will change at Canada Water, NXG and E Croydon. That should only cost £5.50, right?

CheapAndNerdy

Yes, as long as you tap the pink oyster card reader at Canada Water (near the top of the escalators, if I recall correctly), and tap out/back in at East Croydon when changing platforms (I think nearly all the fast trains to Gatwick go from platform 3).

Clip

Established Member
Why would I need to tap the reader at Canada Water?
Thanks

Its a pink reader which is on the entrance to the platforms at Canada Water and this tells the Oyster system you didnt go into zone 1 so will charge you the lower fare.

James Wake

You will need to go up the ramp to the bridge, go through the gateline touching out at East Croydon, then turn around and touch back in to get the £5.50 fare. Fast trains to Gatwick mainly go from platform 3, with some from platform 2. Your train from New Cross Gate or Norwood should arrive on platform 5 or 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.