• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

student photographer seeks stationary freights!

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigmcp

Hi guys. I am new on here.. Currently working on a new project.. called "freights". For the past two years I have been working with Network rail in Stoke on Trent, visiting the lonely trackside walls and bridges for my degree year however now it is the trains I am interested in, in particular EWS freights... I admit I know nothing about trains but wish to improve my knowledge on what happens on the tracks that many of us do not see.

Anyway I am at home in Nuneaton now. I have been speaking to many train-spotters in my area and have been informing me to get down and photograph nr DAW MILL COLLERY in which now i have visited twice. I am looking for freights that are still/ stationary/ not in movement and I thought Daw Mill was the ideal place as it is a mining location where Coal is loaded etc... If anyone has any spots for me to visit and shoot wheather it be morning, day, night. Maybe even if there is a small layup around the midlands somewhere? I know of Toton, but that is quite a treck from Nuneaton.

I would really appreiciate any help.
Thankyou.
Craig.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Phoenix

Established Member
You can always try Bescot yard it's right next to Bescot Stadium station.
You can get some nice shots of the yard from the footbridge in the day or at night.

craigmcp

Hi Emunit, thankyou for the reply. Yes I have been informed to get myself and the camera to that yard.. I will eventually but I been looking at that place via google earth but it isnt quite what I am looking for, I am wanting to capture trains in the coutryside, or where they load up, not a yard as such if you understand that? I am looking for over-night lay-ups or somthing like that where trains may stop for just a few minutes then pull off.

Thankyou for your help.
Craig.

Nym

Established Member
So somwhere like Ardwick wouldn't be a good idea then, with a city backdrop?

Ardwick is next to the approach signals for the slow lines into piccadilly, quite a few EWS 92s, 66s, and FL 86, 90 and 66s stop there for access through 13/14 onto castlefeild to get to trafford park...

Either that or what may not be helpul, one of the ECML loops?

ungreat

Try Holme Crossing on the ECML near Peterborough..freights very often hang about there for a while to let us passenger boys by!! Plus its a long straight,so you will get all the train on photo as well

wensley

Established Member
I know it's a long way but Monk Fryston near(ish) York is good as freights head South very slowly and with yards to the North (and loops) there is plenty of photographic scope with a zoom lens. Here's a photo from the spot. Trains often snake over the points on the way to various power stations. EWS, Freightliner & GBRf use the route for coal and there are only a handful of passenegrs per day.

http://trainspots.co.uk/locpage.php?ts_number=389

This link is from a great website about different locations and you can use the map on the homepage to find and assess locations. Hope This Helps!

Attachments

• DSCF0204.JPG
    DSCF0204.JPG
    475.8 KB · Views: 14

craigmcp

Thankyou for the reply guys. Ive just checked them out on google earth.. all look fine, however I have another dilema... getting there.. argggh! I have no transport at the mo as I has to write my car off... I live right nr dawmill and usually friends give lifts.. is there anything nr Nuneaton, Coventry way??

Status
Not open for further replies.