• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Student Travel Window: Impact on Capacity of Train Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
Do we expect or have any indicators already that train services will be running at capacity and be much more busy during the upcoming student travel window? If so, are there any particular train services, TOCs or train routes that are looking to be more adversely effected by this?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

irish_rail

Established Member
I would think some XC services could be interesting, especially where a 4 or 5 car voyager is provided.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I can see NatEx and Megabus doing well out of this.

Perhaps they should be given an exemption for that week from PSVAR provided one vehicle on each timetabled service is compliant (so the non-compliant coaches would be duplicates), so as to get as many coaches in use as possible?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Do we expect or have any indicators already that services will be running at capacity and be much more busy during the upcoming student travel window? If so, are there any particular services, TOCs or routes that are looking to be more adversely effected by this?

Most students will probably be collected by mum or dad (is the case in normal times, even more this year), so unlikely to be a major issue.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I would think some XC services could be interesting, especially where a 4 or 5 car voyager is provided.
Maybe, though all the ones I've had in the past few months have been 7 car HSTs, or 8/9 car Voyagers, and it's rare that I've had more than about 3 other people in my coach. On my last journey, a 3-car Northern train had about three times as many passengers as my next train which was a 9-car Voyager.

In 99+% of cases there are going to be absolutely loads of empty seats. Of course the tiny number of exceptions will grab the headlines from the hysterical brigade, as usual.

gray1404

Established Member
Maybe, though all the ones I've had in the past few months have been 7 car HSTs, or 8/9 car Voyagers, and it's rare that I've had more than about 3 other people in my coach. On my last journey, a 3-car Northern train had about three times as many passengers as my next train which was a 9-car Voyager.

In 99+% of cases there are going to be absolutely loads of empty seats. Of course the tiny number of exceptions will grab the headlines from the hysterical brigade, as usual.
This is encouraging to know. Thanks. I don't fancy a crammed Voyager Stafford-Reading/Reading-Stafford over the next 2 weeks!

peters

On Moderation
The Liverpool to Newcastle services will be interesting. Multiple universities in each of Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, York and Newcastle, plus universities in Huddersfield and Durham.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I can see NatEx and Megabus doing well out of this.

Perhaps they should be given an exemption for that week from PSVAR provided one vehicle on each timetabled service is compliant (so the non-compliant coaches would be duplicates), so as to get as many coaches in use as possible?
Are they putting on more than the minimal routes currently in operation ?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It will all be fine. I thought we’d had this discussion before, perhaps not.

If you look at the total number of students in the country, discount international students and those living at home, then discount those who have already gone home or will do so before or after the window, then discount those who will travel by road (in their own vehicle, lift sharing, being collected, or by coach), you are left with about half a million people. Asssuming they spread themselves out across the window, and across each day (not before midday, obviously), it is still well within the capacity of the network.

A handful of places might have pinch points - on stations as much as on trains - but it will be localised.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
My impression of National Express is that if they expect to have additional demand then they run duplicate services.

Probably quite easy for them to do - call off extra coaches from operators as tickets sell. There won't be a huge demand for coaches for anything else (e.g. schools are off)

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Probably quite easy for them to do - call off extra coaches from operators as tickets sell. There won't be a huge demand for coaches for anything else (e.g. schools are off)
Which schools are off during the time that the Uni students travel?

FQTV

Most students will probably be collected by mum or dad (is the case in normal times, even more this year), so unlikely to be a major issue.

Hereabouts, parents have been repatriating their kids in numbers since October half term at least.

Are they putting on more than the minimal routes currently in operation ?

Yes, reportedly, under specific contracts to individual universities.

If you look at the total number of students in the country, discount international students and those living at home, then discount those who have already gone home or will do so before or after the window, then discount those who will travel by road (in their own vehicle, lift sharing, being collected, or by coach), you are left with about half a million people. Asssuming they spread themselves out across the window, and across each day (not before midday, obviously), it is still well within the capacity of the network.

A handful of places might have pinch points - on stations as much as on trains - but it will be localised.

I thought that we had, too.

In any event, usually, the majority of students leave for Christmas on the same morning - the Saturday before the jolly portly one sleighs-in, and they do so as the entire populations of everywhere goes to somewhere else’s traditional shanty town of fairy lit garden sheds dispensing pre-mixed lukewarm gluhwein and flogging personalised plant pot warmers and associated chocolate teapottery.

So, as you say, bar a few constrictions here and there, I’d be surprised if there’s much of an issue this year...!

And, if it’s those who have been enjoying their 150 person household gatherings that my Constabulary friends have been having to deal with who bleat about a busy station, I shan’t have a great deal of sympathy - other than for the staff lumbered with dealing with them.

Last edited:

Mak1981

Never mind the students, the Xmas travel window will end on the 27th, no trains on 26th coupled with 27th is a Sunday, that will be the busy day

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Any particular XC services?

Most key XC services are surely coupled sets , as they have been for many months. How much optional travel is there ,with for example, no Xmas Markets, major football matches , pantomimes etc. ?

irish_rail

Established Member
Most key XC services are surely coupled sets , as they have been for many months. How much optional travel is there ,with for example, no Xmas Markets, major football matches , pantomimes etc. ?
There are some single voyagers on the plymouth route including one plymouth drivers regularly pass on from Bristol. I had the misfortune to be on it recently on a Friday, let's just say it wasn't pleasant.

SuperNova

Universities are also encouraging a staggering of students returning home - if they haven't already. It won't be much of an issue.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
So here we are in the student travel window. Has chaos ensued? Didn’t think so.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
It would be interesting for any "real" passenger observations , yesterday on ECML (OLE problems again at Claypole) and a fatality early this morning north of Wembley Central on the WCML which led to all lines blocked (bar the glorious DC) until lunchtime.

Certainly , both tubes and Thameslink were "reasonably" busy today but far from overwhelmed. (and you would expect some diversions of flows onto them as appropriate) - my conversations with young adults and friends show a very staged procession to the comforts of home.

i

BJames

Established Member
I'm actually travelling after the travel window - need to finish my assignments first, and I need the library for that. Most people I know are going any time between 6th and 12th.

Status
Not open for further replies.