• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stupid when drunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Worried wales

Hi
I caught a train to Cardiff Fri eve and was rather merry there was no conductor on the train so we got to Cardiff Station and stupidly I said we got on at Newport I know now it was the wrong thing to say
The lady serving us our ticket called a man over who asked again I couldn't retract it and it got deeper and deeper
He took me to one side along with my mate who was taken by another and he took a statement he rang the Newport station to ask kf the barriers were down they said yes I shoikd have said the we got in cwmbran but I was stupod
He took my details and explained a letter woild bee sent out we would have to pay for the ticket when it was sent to us and more now what will I have to pay ?
He wrote the conversation down and I told him I couldn't read it as I didn't have my glasses on but he told me I had to sign it we then paid for a single to Newport and left
My head is all over the place as I have never done this before and I'm readinf the worst scenarios aboit prosecution and jail
Please tell me its not that bad as I haven't slept since Fri with worry
The train was arriva trains I think
Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

father_jack

Hi
I caught a train to Cardiff Fri eve and was rather merry there was no conductor on the train so we got to Cardiff Station and stupidly I said we got on at Newport I know now it was the wrong thing to say
The lady serving us our ticket called a man over who asked again I couldn't retract it and it got deeper and deeper
He took me to one side along with my mate who was taken by another and he took a statement he rang the Newport station to ask kf the barriers were down they said yes I shoikd have said the we got in cwmbran but I was stupod
He took my details and explained a letter woild bee sent out we would have to pay for the ticket when it was sent to us and more now what will I have to pay ?
He wrote the conversation down and I told him I couldn't read it as I didn't have my glasses on but he told me I had to sign it we then paid for a single to Newport and left
My head is all over the place as I have never done this before and I'm readinf the worst scenarios aboit prosecution and jail
Please tell me its not that bad as I haven't slept since Fri with worry
The train was arriva trains I think
Thanks in advance
You won't get jailed or prosecuted. You'll get a settlement figure in the post. Pay it.

Worried wales

You won't get jailed or prosecuted. You'll get a settlement figure in the post. Pay it.
I hope so im so stupid and once it was out I coukdnt retract it just getting a myself deeper and deeper into the whole conversation I def wouldn't do it again

londonboi198o5

On Moderation
Sorry i am confused.

You said you boarded at Newport to the inspector but didn't but you purchased a ticket from Newport to Cardiff ??

If you didn't board at Newport why did you then buy a ticket from Newport?

Haywain

Veteran Member
Wrong. You won't get jailed but you could be prosecuted. There is, however, a reasonable chance that you could settle the matter without going to court.

Worried wales

Sorry i am confused.

You said you boarded at Newport to the inspector but didn't but you purchased a ticket from Newport to Cardiff ??

If you didn't board at Newport why did you then buy a ticket from Newport?
I got on at cwmbran but said Newport on the return journey we got off at Newport not cwmbran so purchased a single to Newport

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Fare evasion in South Wales is rife by all accounts and Arriva Trains Wales are reportedly taking a harder line with people who are caught, so a court appearance is a possibility.

You will receive a letter saying that they are considering prosecution and asking for your version of events. Reply to this letter in a polite, concise manner stating that you made a mistake, you now realise the seriousness of it and it won't happen again. Offer to pay the outstanding fare plus the train company's administrative costs in dealing with the matter. Hopefully the train company will agree to an administrative settlement to deal with the matter rather than prosecuting you. This is likely to cost around £100 plus the outstanding fare but crucially you avoid a court appearance.

There is no right to an administrative settlement, it is up to the train company to decide whether to prosecute or not. Please do not worry in the meantime, what's done is done.

Worried wales

Fare evasion in South Wales is rife by all accounts and Arriva Trains Wales are reportedly taking a harder line with people who are caught, so a court appearance is a possibility.

You will receive a letter saying that they are considering prosecution and asking for your version of events. Reply to this letter in a polite, concise manner stating that you made a mistake, you now realise the seriousness of it and it won't happen again. Offer to pay the outstanding fare plus the train company's administrative costs in dealing with the matter. Hopefully the train company will agree to an administrative settlement to deal with the matter rather than prosecuting you. This is likely to cost around £100 plus the outstanding fare but crucially you avoid a court appearance.

There is no right to an administrative settlement, it is up to the train company to decide whether to prosecute or not. Please do not worry in the meantime, what's done is done.
I can't help but worry I know it was a stupid mistake and now I'm not sleeping with worry over it

Worried wales

I a very worried to be hinest I haven't slept how long doesit take for the letter to arrive please

Clip

Established Member
I can't help but worry I know it was a stupid mistake and now I'm not sleeping with worry over it
Don't worry or lose sleep. what is done is done and that wont change.

Do as outlined above and if you can pay a settlement then do it and move on.

Life is too short to worry yourself daft over this

Last edited by a moderator:

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Thank you I will take a look don't think I will stop worrying untill it's sorted I've ever been in trouble and this is killing me my own stupidity
They have up to 6 months after an event to lay information before the Court for prosecution. This is a strict deadline and it is highly likely that they will write to you before initiating a prosecution. Therefore, I would expect that you would probably receive a letter within about 5 months. In most cases it will be significantly sooner - i.e. within a few weeks or a month or so.

As others have said (and as is admittedly easy to say in a rational state of mind when not threatened by prosecution/Court!), what's done is done and there is little point worrying about it. Instead, consider what you might write when/if you get a letter from ATW, so that you are better prepared.

Worried wales

They have up to 6 months after an event to lay information before the Court for prosecution. This is a strict deadline and it is highly likely that they will write to you before initiating a prosecution. Therefore, I would expect that you would probably receive a letter within about 5 months. In most cases it will be significantly sooner - i.e. within a few weeks or a month or so.

As others have said (and as is admittedly easy to say in a rational state of mind when not threatened by prosecution/Court!), what's done is done and there is little point worrying about it. Instead, consider what you might write when/if you get a letter from ATW, so that you are better prepared.
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.