• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stuttgart ticket stamping or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeverseSam

“In U-Bahns there is a small machine to stamp 4-ride tickets. Single ride and other tickets need no validation. Systems vary from region to region. In Munich for example, one buys a single ride ticket and has to have it validated upon entering a U-Bahn.”

Please can you confirm whether Single ride and other tickets need no validation is correct for Stuttgart? The source above is unofficial and I can’t see an official one.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duesselmartin

Established Member
To make it more confusing, it depends on the operator of the ticket machine. If it is validated there should be a printed strip on the side of the ticket. If unsure best ask a friendly looking co passenger.

Veteran Member
“In U-Bahns there is a small machine to stamp 4-ride tickets. Single ride and other tickets need no validation. Systems vary from region to region. In Munich for example, one buys a single ride ticket and has to have it validated upon entering a U-Bahn.”

Please can you confirm whether Single ride and other tickets need no validation is correct for Stuttgart? The source above is unofficial and I can’t see an official one.
Not sure where your quote is from?

The Stuttgart Tramways website specifically refers to validation for single and 4-journey tickets - the exception will be if it is already time-stamped when you buy it.
https://www.ssb-ag.de/tickets/einzelne-fahrten/einzelticket/
(Can't find it in English, sorry!).

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
It's probably worth checking the ticket itself when it's issued. If you can't see any sort of time of expiry mentioned then it'll need to be stamped.

IIRC in Munich, when I needed a single ticket, I was given the option by the TVM to validate it straight away or to do it myself.

johncrossley

Established Member

The easiest option is normally to get an app ticket. This removes the problem. It should be clear whether activation is needed within the app.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The easiest option is normally to get an app ticket. This removes the problem. It should be clear whether activation is needed within the app.
Agreed, and for some transport associations there is also a small discount for app tickets.

DeverseSam

So, bought at 15:45 but that’s not necessarily the same as being stamped for starting the journey?!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 65

U-Bahnfreund

I think that ticket would have been validated already even without the stamp as it clearly states the zone, starting station and time. The SSB sites tickets are validated when issued from the machine, although there might be an option to issue it without validation as well, but you seem not to have used that.

I'm not a ticket controller in the VVS though.

zero

I think the general rule is that if you buy a ticket inside a tram/train it's already validiated (because you've started your journey so you need a valid ticket), if you buy it at a station then it isn't but some station machines can validate it as part of the purchase.

bubieyehyeh

I seem to remember 5 years ago there was a 3 day ticket you could buy at the airport if you had a hotel reservation, which was better value for me.

zuriblue

Looking at these Stuttgart tickets the tickets that need to be stamped have an instruction “vor Fahrtantritt entwerten” (when boarding stamp the ticket. The stamps are at the entrance of the tram or bus)

Single tickets don’t need to be stamped but multiple tickets and day tickets need to be stamped.
IMG_0164.png
(Photo shows 2 day tickets issued by Verkehrsbetriebe Stuttgart, including an instruction to stamp the ticket before boarding the vehicle.)

Source https://living-in-stuttgart.com/2018/02/19/public-transport-in-stuttgart/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.