• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Suggestions for a Northern Comp Ticket Journey (Start/Finish @ Preston)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stew

I have a Northern Comp return ticket and looking for suggestions for a full day out. Starting / Finishing at Preston, I’m relatively new to the Northern area so haven’t really explored much (unless you call Manchester to Preston exploring!)

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
A trip to/from Appleby would make for a scenic day out.

From Preston up to Lancaster, then along the Bentham line to Giggleswick/Long Preston, change there for a train from Long Preston/Settle along the Settle and Carlisle line up to Appleby and then onwards to Carlisle.

Return to Preston via Cumbrian Coast line and Lancaster.

stew

A trip to/from Appleby would make for a scenic day out.

From Preston up to Lancaster, then along the Bentham line to Giggleswick/Long Preston, change there for a train from Long Preston/Settle along the Settle and Carlisle line up to Appleby and then onwards to Carlisle.

Return to Preston via Cumbrian Coast line and Lancaster.
Would this be feasible in a day?

D6130

Established Member
Would this be feasible in a day?
Yes....with a little care in planning (Real Time Trains is your friend!). You may have to change at Hellifield rather than Long Preston, as more trains stop there.

Other options would be Preston->Leeds->Carlisle->Barrow->Preston, or vice-versa....or Preston->Manchester->Sheffield->Leeds->(via Lancaster or Hebden Bridge)->Preston.

All of the above are interesting scenic routes.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
One possible midweek itinerary to give you an idea of likely timings...

Depart Preston 0833
Arrive Lancaster 0850

Depart Lancaster 0941
Arrive Long Preston 1036

(Or Arrive Hellifield 1039, Depart 1141 for Appleby/Carlisle and make use of Hellifield station cafe facilities, normally open Tuesdays-Saturdays).

Depart Long Preston 1144
Arrive Appleby 1248 and maybe stay on train to arrive Carlisle 1331

Depart Carlisle 1408
Arrive Barrow-in-Furness 1644

Depart Barrow-in-Furness 1651 (*)
Arrive Preston 1810.

(*) Tight connection, but certainly not the last train of day back to Lancaster/Preston if you don't quite make it.

Numerous (slightly longer) variations on the above should you wish to briefly explore various intermediate locations on your day out.

_toommm_

Established Member
If you don’t mind filling the gap with a TPE, LNER, or XC advance, you could do Preston to Lancaster via the Cumbrian Coast, onto Newcastle, down to York, Leeds, onto Sheffield either via Doncaster or direct, then through the Hope Valley to Manchester, and back to Preston.

stew

Depart Preston 0833
Arrive Lancaster 0850

Depart Lancaster 0941
Arrive Long Preston 1036

(Or Arrive Hellifield 1039, Depart 1141 for Appleby/Carlisle and make use of Hellifield station cafe facilities, normally open Tuesdays-Saturdays).

Depart Long Preston 1144

Depart Carlisle 1408

Arrive Preston 1810.

(*) Tight connection, but certainly not the last train of day back to Lancaster/Preston if you don't quite make it.

Numerous (slightly longer) variations on the above should you wish to briefly explore various intermediate locations on your day out.
Thanks so much. So on the Northern comp ticket, what other station would I put?

Yes....with a little care in planning (Real Time Trains is your friend!). You may have to change at Hellifield rather than Long Preston, as more trains stop there.

Other options would be Preston->Leeds->Carlisle->Barrow->Preston, or vice-versa....or Preston->Manchester->Sheffield->Leeds->(via Lancaster or Hebden Bridge)->Preston.

All of the above are interesting scenic routes.
Thanks for this

Veteran Member
Thanks so much. So on the Northern comp ticket, what other station would I put?
I assume this is a return ticket?
Carlisle should do, as you are using the only two possible Northern routes from A to B I can't see any objection (certainly not from a Northern guard)

stew

I assume this is a return ticket?
Carlisle should do, as you are using the only two possible Northern routes from A to B I can't see any objection (certainly not from a Northern guard)
That’s correct, it’s a return comp

xotGD

Established Member
Heading in the opposite direction, you could go to Nottingham. Calder Valley one way, Hope Valley the other.

stew

Depart Preston 0833
Arrive Lancaster 0850

Depart Lancaster 0941
Arrive Long Preston 1036

Depart Long Preston 1144

Depart Carlisle 1408

Arrive Preston 1810.

Thank you so much for this suggestion @Mcr Warrior. I did this exact journey last week and made all the connections perfectly. The Hellifield to Carlisle part got delayed just before the Viaduct and meant arriving in to Carlisle 15 mins late. A quick dash for a coffee and sandwich and I made the onward connection to Barrow, although I did try to board this service through the incorrect doors on Platform 2 (?). I did wonder if doors on both sides of the platform would open!

My next planned journey is Blackpool South to Chester. I was hoping to use another Northern Comp Ticket and wondered if a journey via Manchester would be acceptable (as I have a meeting there)?

Many thanks again

danm14

My next planned journey is Blackpool South to Chester. I was hoping to use another Northern Comp Ticket and wondered if a journey via Manchester would be acceptable (as I have a meeting there)?
Via Manchester is a permitted route for either Blackpool station to Chester.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I did try to board this service through the incorrect doors on Platform 2 (?). I did wonder if doors on both sides of the platform would open!
Yes, it's easy to get confused when attempting to board a Cumbrian Coast train from Carlisle from bay platform 2.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Via Manchester is a permitted route for either Blackpool station to Chester.
Surely if it's a Northern comp ticket, it doesn't matter whether the route is permitted or not? So long as your journey is wholly on Northern trains your ticket allows you to get from your origin to your destination by any route you like.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Surely if it's a Northern comp ticket, it doesn't matter whether the route is permitted or not? So long as your journey is wholly on Northern trains your ticket allows you to get from your origin to your destination by any route you like.
Note what you say, but Blackpool South to Chester via, say Barrow, Carlisle, Leeds, York, Sheffield and Manchester, might raise some eyebrows, even though it'd be all on Northern.

Status
Not open for further replies.