• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Suggestions for Aire Valley services such as using class 350/2 units or extending platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veteran Member
Generally speaking to all of us on here, although this may be in the long term, what do we do when the peak services reach capacity after being lengthened to 6 cars ?

Don't forget this is only 2 more carriages than the existing 4 car sets that as we know are already stretched to capacity!
8-car working on all-stations Aire/Wharfe services will be some way away.
There comes a time when commuting levels stabilise because there are finite numbers of dwellings in a given area.
At that stage you look further afield and a different area takes the strain.
It happened with Airedale around 1990 (I lived in Cononley, the station had just reopened); it happened in the mid 60s SE with Longfield, Rainham, Staplehurst, Fleet etc (I lived in 30s London suburbia then!)....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Halifaxlad

Established Member
Once again I found myself unable to sleep and now looking at capacity stats.

Due to that 331's are only 2+2 seating, running 6 car sets during the peaks will only raise seating capacity by 48 seats.

With the middle seats on the 333's really only occupied during the peaks, having 2+2 seating in the 331's does make sense.

If we used 350/2's with the 3+2 arrangement this would raise seating capacity by approximately 170 seats.

Personally if the Aire and Wharf Valley were to get some 350/2's I would refurbish them and convert the insides to match the 350/1 & 350/3s that have the 2+2 arrangement.

If this was done then they're would be a rise of 74 seats per train when doubled up during the peaks. When running off peak these would have about 13 more seats in comparison to the 331's and more if you didn't have first class.

Importantly it retains capacity off peak without having to double up all day and employ a second conductor, as employing more conductors especially off peak is unlikely to win the operator over which is an equally important consideration.

I hope this explains my rational for wanting the 350/s and why I'm keen to see all platforms lengthened to cater for 8 cars.

Halifaxlad

Established Member
Just to add:

due to that 350/s are slightly shorter per car than 333's & 331's, when doubled up to 8 they are only 20.4 meters longer than 2, 3 car 331's coupled together.

and 25.16 meters shorter than 2, 4 car 333's coupled together

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.