• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Suggestions for an excursion from Dublin

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuartmoss

Hi All,

I'm flying into Dublin for the day in a couple of weeks, been many times before so want to get out of the city. I land at 07:35 and will fly back at 20:55. So I should have from around 09:00 to 18:30 to play with. I've been to Bray and Howth. I'm looking for somewhere I can walk around for a couple of hours with places of interest, do a bit of filming, have a pint that sort of thing....any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
If it's a nice day, bus 102 from the airport to Malahide for the castle and coastal village.

duesselmartin

Established Member
its certainly worth going down south of Bray to Rosslare.The line is very scenic and the Wexford Quay is certainly a great opportunity to film.
As to train variety, its worth going to Kildare as a large amount of Intercity and commuter trains pass.

Hornet

You can film the local gangsters killing each other under the gaze of the Election Candidate posters that infest every lamp post in this City at the moment. Just bring a flak jacket and learn to say "don't shoot" in English, Irish (and Spanish).

Crossover

Established Member
I have only travelled on trains in the "Commuter" (and DART) areas of Dublin, but have been around in the car a bit and went to Wexford last year. Ended up in the town and got a surprise to find the line and road follow each other with virtually no division between the two! All very scenic. The only problem with that line is the lack of trains

feline1

Hi All,

I'm flying into Dublin for the day in a couple of weeks, been many times before so want to get out of the city. I land at 07:35 and will fly back at 20:55. So I should have from around 09:00 to 18:30 to play with. I've been to Bray and Howth. I'm looking for somewhere I can walk around for a couple of hours with places of interest, do a bit of filming, have a pint that sort of thing....any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

If you're really ambitious you can get the Enterprise train from Dublin Connolly to Belfast Central, shuttle across to Great Victoria Street, catch a train to Portrush, quick taxi to Bushmills and ride the heritage tramway to the Giants Causeway. And then having enjoyed the pleasures of hexagonal basalt, leg it all the way back again to get your flight ;)

NornIronMan

If you're really ambitious you can get the Enterprise train from Dublin Connolly to Belfast Central, shuttle across to Great Victoria Street, catch a train to Portrush, quick taxi to Bushmills and ride the heritage tramway to the Giants Causeway. And then having enjoyed the pleasures of hexagonal basalt, leg it all the way back again to get your flight ;)

For Portrush/Derry-Londonderry connections you don't need to go anywhere near Great Victoria St as they all call at Central enroute, just change platform ;)

berneyarms

Established Member

Given the times quoted this is not an option.

You can film the local gangsters killing each other under the gaze of the Election Candidate posters that infest every lamp post in this City at the moment. Just bring a flak jacket and learn to say "don't shoot" in English, Irish (and Spanish).

Don't film on the LUAS.

"Luas staff filmed stopping Independent.ie from speaking to morning commuters about strike action"

http://www.independent.ie/irish-new...g-commuters-about-strike-action-34441019.html

Itchy trigger fingers over here at the moment as well.

Let's not get carried away here. Dublin is perfectly safe - this is very much a feud between two drugs gangs and as such does not impact on the vast majority of the population.

As for LUAS, you have always had to have permission to take photos/film on LUAS property. However, there is no legal issue with taking photos from the public street. Given the dispute, staff were somewhat tetchy, but went OTT with their reactions. I've never had any issue taking a photo of a tram anywhere on the LUAS network.

its certainly worth going down south of Bray to Rosslare.The line is very scenic and the Wexford Quay is certainly a great opportunity to film.
As to train variety, its worth going to Kildare as a large amount of Intercity and commuter trains pass.

I'd second this. It's most definitely the most scenic rail route out of Dublin.

You could easily take the 09:40 train to Wexford, arrive there at 12:02 and then get the 13:20 back, perhaps breaking the journey at Greystones and taking a DART back to Dublin.

Alternatively, if you wish to stay in the Dublin area and want to just explore around the city, I would suggest getting a LEAP card at the Spar shop in the Airport, and loading €10 on it.

You could take the 41 or 102 to Swords Main Street and connect with a 33 or 33a there, and take that to either Skerries or Balbriggan - it's a lovely trip on the upper deck. Then you could get a train back to Malahide, and have some lunch there and perhaps visit Malahide Castle.

Then take the 32 from Malahide back to Dublin via Portmarnock, again a lovely trip with nice views on the upper deck of Howth and Dublin Bay.

Then any 16 or 41 bus will take you back to the Airport.

Using the real time information on Dublin Bus is very handy - www.dublinbus.ie/rtpi

Dublin Bus timetables are here:
http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/

Irish Rail timetables are here:
http://www.irishrail.ie/timetables/timetable-pdfs

Be aware that there are LUAS strikes scheduled for 18 and 19 February, and 8 and 17 March.

Last edited:

Hornet

berneyarms wrote "Let's not get carried away here. Dublin is perfectly safe."

Do you live here like I do? Do you speak to the local population like I do? Do you read the local forums like I do? you would find the reality quite different. Dublin is a drug addled, gangster (25 various groupings, not 2) riven kip. Tourists have been randomly attacked in the City. As someone who lives here I would warn anyone visiting this City to be very careful about where they are and what they are doing. It's not safe.

Last edited:

berneyarms

Established Member
berneyarms wrote "Let's not get carried away here. Dublin is perfectly safe."

Do you live here like I do? Do you speak to the local population like I do? Do you read the local forums like I do? you would find the reality quite different. Dublin is a drug addled, gangster (25 various groupings, not 2) riven kip. Tourists have been randomly attacked in the City. As someone who lives here I would warn anyone visiting this City to be very careful about where they are and what they are doing. It's not safe.

Yes I do live in Dublin and have done my entire life.

So please do not try to lecture me about what Dublin is like. I travel all over the city and never have I felt unsafe.

Taking the same precautions as any other city, Dublin is not unsafe for any tourist to visit. Suggesting otherwise is pandering to tabloid nonsense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.