• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Suggestions Please - Travel from Nottingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveoh

I've a budget of £89 in vouchers which I can probably supplement slightly but not by too much. Say another £50. I need to return home each evening as a condition of my pass out and probably need to be back into Nottingham by 8pm

I want to make a series of trips from Nottingham over the course of a week probably 3 or 4 days. I've done an East Midlands Rover before and have covered most of that track. I've also looked at doing a Heart of England rover but for some reason it doesn't appeal.

Has anyone any suggestions on some trips I could make? What I'm looking for is a set of day trips like a return to Llandudno which is available with a cheap day return (I've done this) with different routes I can take out and back, within my budget. I'm having trouble finding any others though. I'd prefer to be flexible rather than use advance tickets.

Early starts aren't a problem it's just late returns. They just don't seem to be compatible with the cheaper fares.

Any ideas greatly received.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

James Wake

Start with an obvious one, head down to London on EMT and have a day out around London with a Travelcard.

Steveoh

Start with an obvious one, head down to London on EMT and have a day out around London with a Travelcard.

Thanks. I've done that a few times before and I have to go down quite often with work so tend to vary my routes out and back to St Pancras. I find it very expensive even with advance tickets too.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Manchester? Out via EMT and return via Stoke on Trent and Derby?

Connections work better the other way round. The Super Offpeak Day Return is good value at £22.80, but you can't start back until the 1843 from Piccadilly (or so much earlier that it's hardly worth going) so you will miss your 2000 deadline. Otherwise get an Offpeak Day Return which costs about a fiver more. The Manchester PlusBus is good value too but not valid on Metrolink.

NottsPhil

Worth doing London on a Saturday with EMT's 'London Day Out' ticket - £79 gets you parking, return first class travel inc breakfast on the 08.32 ex Nottingham, and a Travelcard. You are tied to specific trains though.

I did a Ffestiniog Round Robin starting in Nottingham last year, you have to get to Birmingham first and can buy a ticket allowing travel from there which is good value.

The Manchester fare is surprisingly cheap, and good that it allows travel via either Stoke/Crewe or Sheffield. The fares going east on the Liverpool-Norwich services are rather more expensive if I recall.

You can do York quite reasonably, but split it at Sheffield to save money.

Veteran Member
I did a Ffestiniog Round Robin starting in Nottingham last year, you have to get to Birmingham first and can buy a ticket allowing travel from there which is good value.

You can also start from Crewe. To be home by 8pm you need a day when the 1335 from Porthmadog runs, which means the 0930 off Salop.

From here I do N Wales trips by driving (sorry purists) to Flint or Chester, don't know whether you have or are allowed a car?!

Steveoh

Thanks all for the suggestions. I don't drive so it's public transport for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.