• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Summer 2016 timetables

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xtradj

Is there any major changes or new services planned for summer 2016 in the uk?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Technically Queen Street is in the timetable. Its almost certainly a date set until August.

But the Summer, as with the December one, Timetable shows the regular service. Irrespective of when Engineering Work takes place they are special workings out side of it.

Scotrail88

Would be better if national rail page updated in advance of the changes.

If any insider knowledge of changes it would be beneficial and will try and collate myself.

Martin_1981

Well done CrossCountry! They always seem to be first off the mark.

No change from the existing timetable by the looks of it. Once again, there are the usual summer Saturday holiday extras to Paignton, Penzance and Newquay from the Midlands and the North. No doubt the HST diagrams of these will be the same as the last few years.

Mark62

No change from the existing timetable by the looks of it. Once again, there are the usual summer Saturday holiday extras to Paignton, Penzance and Newquay from the Midlands and the North. No doubt the HST diagrams of these will be the same as the last few years.
Today there are virtually extra summer Saturday trains to Torbay, Newquay etc. I believe five coach voyagers ran to Newquay last years. Many years ago there were trains leaving Paignton every 10 minutes on Saturday mornings plus there were overnight trains from all over the nOrth to the West Country. I believe that Last year Sheffield had two trains to Paignton and one to Newquay. We're these not trains that were diverted away from Plymouth. I don't think XC actually put any extra trains on they just diverted or extended some trains.
Not exactly service improvements is it?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Today there are virtually extra summer Saturday trains to Torbay, Newquay etc. I believe five coach voyagers ran to Newquay last years. Many years ago there were trains leaving Paignton every 10 minutes on Saturday mornings plus there were overnight trains from all over the nOrth to the West Country. I believe that Last year Sheffield had two trains to Paignton and one to Newquay. We're these not trains that were diverted away from Plymouth. I don't think XC actually put any extra trains on they just diverted or extended some trains.
Not exactly service improvements is it?

Back in BR days you didn't have a service every half hour between Bristol and Birmingham like you have today. The summer Saturday TT nowadays is basically the normal weekday service with some Bristol terminators/starters terminating/starting further west. The service pattern on Summer Saturdays between Bristol and Birmingham is the same as during the week i.e. stops at Bristol Parkway and Cheltenham. I can remember summer Saturday services running non-stop Bristol TM - Birmingham in the 80's/90's

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
But the Summer, as with the December one, Timetable shows the regular service. Irrespective of when Engineering Work takes place they are special workings out side of it.

Surely it depends on the scale of the engineering work? I wouldn't expect any timetable to show the 'normal' service on Southeastern while we are in a period of 20 months where Charing Cross trains can't call at London Bridge! My recollection of printed timetables in the past is that major engineering work was shown in the timetable, either as a separate dated sub-section of the table or with wavy lines down some columns.

TEW

Established Member
I can remember summer Saturday services running non-stop Bristol TM - Birmingham in the 80's/90's
Those sort of patterns carried on until Cross Country recast their timetable in December 2008 shortly after they took over the franchise. Under Virgin a lot of the Summer Saturday services to Newquay/Paignton were limited stop. The afternoon service to Newquay used to call Birmingham New Street, Bristol Temple Meads, Plymouth and Newquay only for example.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Those sort of patterns carried on until Cross Country recast their timetable in December 2008 shortly after they took over the franchise. Under Virgin a lot of the Summer Saturday services to Newquay/Paignton were limited stop. The afternoon service to Newquay used to call Birmingham New Street, Bristol Temple Meads, Plymouth and Newquay only for example.

Ahhh. Those were the days, when we had proper trains. Sadly something that's long since gone. :(

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Nah, Nothing like turning up at New St on the off chance and finding an unusual loco on the front of a rake of LHCS and belting off down Lickey at a rate of knots.

BR certainly knew how to do things "On the hoof" and whilst an HST is a proper train, there's still nothing like a good old fashioned rake of coaches and a loco 47/50/31/33s!

Oh how I wish I could turn back time to do it all again!

D1009

Established Member
I never got the HST to the Zance, maybe this time round. Apart from XC anything else of interest? I hope Pembroke Dock on an HST is doable again.
According to RTT, both are as last year, though it looks as though engineering work will scupper the Penzance working on the late Spring bank holiday Saturday. They are going via Kemble and Swindon that day.

Martin_1981

Back in BR days you didn't have a service every half hour between Bristol and Birmingham like you have today. The summer Saturday TT nowadays is basically the normal weekday service with some Bristol terminators/starters terminating/starting further west. The service pattern on Summer Saturdays between Bristol and Birmingham is the same as during the week i.e. stops at Bristol Parkway and Cheltenham. I can remember summer Saturday services running non-stop Bristol TM - Birmingham in the 80's/90's

Good point there. The summer Saturday timetable is generally an extension of the normal weekday timetable, albeit with some trains diverted from Plymouth to start/terminate at Paignton (the HST's to and from Leeds and Glasgow). Nowhere near as exciting as the summer Saturday timetable of the 1990's and no overnight trains either. Who remembers trains from Rose Grove (Burnley), Bradford and Nottingham to Paignton, and trains between the North and Weymouth, Eastbourne and Ramsgate (the latter being famous for Deltic haulage in Virgin XC days). Traction was often anything which could be found at the time, with the double headed Class 31's on some of the Paignton trains particularly standing out. Unfortunately, the XC HST's are the best we can hope for these days. Not even any HST hire ins from EMT or EC like there were back in 2008.

xtradj

East Midlands trains timetable for May 2016 is now up also
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Tp express times up now as well. However only until 23rd October. Is there a reason for this?

Bigfoot

East Midlands trains timetable for May 2016 is now up also
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Tp express times up now as well. However only until 23rd October. Is there a reason for this?

Start of leaf fall...

DaveHarries

Established Member
SouthWest Trains have, it seems, decided to build on their revisions around Wiltshire from last November. This means:

Additional Weekday Service:
0514 Yeovil Pen Mill - London Waterloo

and, on summer Saturdays some new trips, albeit seasonal, which should allow a day out at the seaside for those who don't fancy the drive to Weymouth:

- 1L15 (0750 WAT - SAL) extended to Weymouth, calling at Tisbury, Gillingham (Dorset), Templecombe, Sherborne, Yeovil Junction, Yeovil Pen Mill, Maiden Newton, Dorchester West and Upwey. Due to arrive WEY at 1126.

- 2V34 (1210 WEY - YVJ) calling all stations. Due to arrive YVJ at 1303.

- 2V38 (1307 YVJ - YVP), arriving YVP at 1312.

- 2O39 (1328 YVP - YVJ), arriving YVJ at 1333.

- 2V42 (1345 YVJ - YVP), arriving YVP at 1350.

- 2O43 (1355 YVP - YVJ), arriving YVJ at 1400.

- 2V46 (1405 YVJ - WEY), calling all stations. Arriving WEY at 1508.

- 1L66 (1847 SAL - WAT) extended to start back from WEY at 1656, calling Dorchester West, Maiden Newton, Yeovil Pen Mill, Yeovil Junction, Sherborne, Templecombe, Gillingham (Dorset), Tisbury and Salisbury, then as per normal schedule.

I know SWT said that these were only proposals and they haven't said on their website that the seasonal trains will run for certain. However the diagrams are all on RealTimeTrains now.

HTIOI,
Dave

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
SouthWest Trains have, it seems, decided to build on their revisions around Wiltshire from last November. This means:

Additional Weekday Service:
0514 Yeovil Pen Mill - London Waterloo

and, on summer Saturdays some new trips, albeit seasonal, which should allow a day out at the seaside for those who don't fancy the drive to Weymouth:

- 1L15 (0750 WAT - SAL) extended to Weymouth, calling at Tisbury, Gillingham (Dorset), Templecombe, Sherborne, Yeovil Junction, Yeovil Pen Mill, Maiden Newton, Dorchester West and Upwey. Due to arrive WEY at 1126.

- 2V34 (1210 WEY - YVJ) calling all stations. Due to arrive YVJ at 1303.

- 2V38 (1307 YVJ - YVP), arriving YVP at 1312.

- 2O39 (1328 YVP - YVJ), arriving YVJ at 1333.

- 2V42 (1345 YVJ - YVP), arriving YVP at 1350.

- 2O43 (1355 YVP - YVJ), arriving YVJ at 1400.

- 2V46 (1405 YVJ - WEY), calling all stations. Arriving WEY at 1508.

- 1L66 (1847 SAL - WAT) extended to start back from WEY at 1656, calling Dorchester West, Maiden Newton, Yeovil Pen Mill, Yeovil Junction, Sherborne, Templecombe, Gillingham (Dorset), Tisbury and Salisbury, then as per normal schedule.

I know SWT said that these were only proposals and they haven't said on their website that the seasonal trains will run for certain. However the diagrams are all on RealTimeTrains now.

HTIOI,
Dave

Don't want to be pedantic but I wish the Diagrams were on Real Time Trains. RTT shows a list of trains and some of their details whereas a diagram is the daily duty of traction and traincrew.

berneyarms

Established Member
So far I can see the following TOC timetables:

CrossCountry
East Midlands Trains
Southeastern (to August 27th)
Transpennine Express (only 2 routes so far)
Scotrail (Existing timetables continue until 7 August)

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Also remember the Birmingham - Shrewsbury - Crewe Virgin Trains schedules were on RTT for Easter and never actually happened, so they may be removed again ;)

The VT diversions via Shrewsbury to Crewe were intended for Engineering work. The SWT ones are Permanent Timetable ones.

backontrack

Established Member
Of course, the thing about XC running to Newquay is that, if you live in Bugle, Luxulyan or Roche, then you can't get around on a Saturday. Surely they should be able to fit in a train to Newquay for XC each way? I know it's 'full to capacity' but wouldn't they be able to do a bit of re-jiggin?

Polarbear

Established Member
Any inkling as to when the NRT from May to December 2016 will become available.

It wasn't there the other day & it's around 4 weeks to the timetable change?

berneyarms

Established Member
Any inkling as to when the NRT from May to December 2016 will become available.

It wasn't there the other day & it's around 4 weeks to the timetable change?

The last few times it has been a fortnight or so beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.