• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Summer Holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thought I would share my recent trip to London, Newquay and Wakefield with you all. I don't jot down locomotive or unit numbers but I hope you enjoy it.

It all started on the 01/07/13 at Poole departing on the 16.07 service to London Waterloo which was 3 minutes down at Poole. The usual 444 EMU did the honours and I sat down in my first class seat. The trip to London was quite uneventful saw the usual class 08, 66 and 70's just before we got to Southampton. A couple of class 73's were seen at Eastleigh along with a few class 66 just past Eastleigh.

I soon arrived into London with the usual EMU's seen at Waterloo (class 444, 450, 455 and 458's). Had to travel to Queensway so got the Jubilee Line to Bond Street and Central Line to Queensway. I booked tickets to the Icebar (which I highly recommend) so back on the Central Line to Oxford Circus. I ended up by Tottenham Court Road so back on the Central Line once again.

Day 2 started with a trip to Newquay. I decided to walk to Paddington early to make full use of the first class lounge at Paddington. Was well worth the early start as the louge is very nice with complimentary refreshments freshly being bought out by the host twice whilst I was there. The usual array of HST's were at Paddington. I was booked on the 10.06 Penzance train as far as Par. The service was very busy in first class and the hosts soon came around offering drinks and snacks. We were around 6 minutes late departing Reading after being held outside for several minutes. I haven't been to Reading for several years and can't believe the transformation. Off we went down the Berks and Hants line and after a few drinks on the train we were soon at Exeter St. Davids around 3 minutes down due to once again waiting outside for a platform. There was a class 150 DMU waiting at Exeter ona local service but other than that seemed quite quiet. We soon departed and after around an hour found myself in Plymouth around 3 minutes but the train seemed to wait there ages before leaving (Is this normal at Plymouth?) Once again we left and on the final approach to Par where I left the train and crossed the platform for the local Class 150 to Newquay.

Day 4 of my trip started on the 10.13 class 150 service to Par the trip was uneventful on the branch line and found myself soon at Par ready for the cross platform transfer for the 11.07 HST service to London Paddington. The HST soon arrived and we were on our way. It was quite an uneventful journey and soon found myself at Paddington once again ready for the trip on the Circle Line service to Kings Cross St. Pancras. I was booked on the 16.05 service to Wakefield Westgate which produced a HST. I was quite surprised it was not a class 91. There was a class 67 on the blocks on the way out of Kings Cross. I decided to have a hours kip and woke up at Doncaster, 15 odd minutes we were in Wakefield where I departed.

Day 6 started at Wakefield Westgate waiting on the 10.16 service to Kings Cross which saw a class 91 in service. A class 91 on a Leeds service, a pacer on a local service and another pacer on a shunting move were seen at Wakefield before my service arrived on platform 1. Would be just my luck that the aircon wasn't working in coach E but there was free water handed out to passengers, this was warm though so the cold cans of lager I bought at the shop before I boarded proved very useful. Was soon at platform 1 at Kings Cross where the usual HST's and Class 91's were being prepared for service. I was then ready for the uncomfortable journey on the tube on the Piccadilly Line as far as Leicester Square to change to the Northern Line to Waterloo. I did this journey in 27 minutes and could of caught the 13.05 Southwest Trains service to Weymouth as far as Poole but decided to go to Sainsburys to pick up supplies so opted for the 13.35 instead. Soon I was leaving London on the Class 444 EMU. The train was held outside of Basingstoke and continued to be held up outside every station to Bournemouth. Apparently a delayed Crosscountry service from Manchester was to blame. Eastleigh soon arrived again going through non stop I noticed some class 57's (I presume) parked in the old Eastleigh Works (What are these doing there?). Bournemouth was soon upon us around 7 minutes late and I noticed the 15.22 10 coach London Waterloo service in platform 2 which hadn't departed yet which surprised me, the destination board app on my phone just said delayed, (Does anyone know why this was?) Another 14 minutes and I was back home in Poole after a brilliant holiday to some places I have never been. I hope you enjoyed my travels as much as I did. Sorry for any spelling or grammar error I typed this on my phone after a long day at work.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Requeststop

Hello 47832.

Welcome to the trip Reports and Nostalgia Section.. Congratulations on your first report.

I can understand that you are not into the unit numbers etc, but it does help if you can include them as there are members here who do respond when you somehow quote a unit number or combination of numbers that can spark excited responses. A few photos can also help especially when you are at places that very few can get to. Sometimes there are a few things in the background that you may not see that others can spot. If you look at Green Lane's???? Wirral reports, or my own pathetic efforts on my second UK trip there are different things you can add to a trip report.

Some guys seem to want to talk about local beers, largers and ales, some like to talk about comfort, sleep or lack of, some have a thing about, Weatherspoons and their proximity to the stations they are visiting.

So mate, keep at it, find your own style. So pleased you did Newquay and found it satisfactory. Hope you get back down to Cornwall some day and do my "home" line St. Erth to St. Ives.

What you write here does matter even if you get no replies. Look at the number of "views" you get and use that as your guide rather than the number of replies.

Good luck and I look forward to reading more from you in the future. :p :p :p :p :p

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
In the case of 150s shewn in the West Country I would like to see 150/1s and 150/2s identifued from each other.

IanD

Established Member
I enjoyed this.

Wakefield Westgate AND Newquay as destinations in the same summer holiday can only be the idea of a rail enthusiast! Take my last year's summer holiday, the places I really wanted to visit were Cleethorpes, Worksop, Nottingham and Stoke. Got some funny looks at work when people asked where I was going!

It's a shame when you were in Wakefield you didn't have time to do the rest of West Yorkshire (my old stamping ground). Quite cheap on a DayRover and lots of variety scenery wise.

Same with Cornwall, quite cheap on the RideCornwall ticket. A cheap advance to Plymouth, a couple of cheap nights in the travelodge and a day riding the rails in Cornwall followed by a day riding the rails in Devon (cheap on a DevonRanger) and then a cheap Advance home would make a good couple of days away for me.

As Requeststop says, keep it up!

Last edited:

Thankyou for your replies. I have noted down your points and if I do a long journey again I will note down more details for you all to enjoy. I used to jot down loco and unit numbers in the late 80's and early 90's when thing were in my point of view just that bit more interesting.

The journies that I made on this occasion were purely for pleasure and not of a rail enthusiast. I do still enjoy travelling by train but the fun has gone out of it for me. I do wish I had more time at each London terminus though just to relive days gone by. This is when my father used to take me out in London to places like Old Oak Common, Stratford, Euston, Kings Cross etc to spot as many locos as we could. They were very good times indeed.

IanD

Established Member
I meant enthusiast as "someone whole likes train travel" rather than "trainspotter" - I count myself in the former group rather than the latter. I wouldn't remember the numbers if it wasn't for the photos I take!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm a bit obsessed with numbers, but quite happily understand not everyone is. Good first write up, I've only just seen it as I don't have regular access to the forums at the moment. Indeed, I've had so little time for anything other than food and sleep away from my commuting and work lately. Beyond desperate for a proper day on the rails, it's been way too long :cry:

As Requeststop says, it's up to you entirely what you write or add to a write-up. Photos do indeed add life to it mind, although I've a hugely wild imagination so not such an issue for me.

Hope you do some more at some point, I will be doing one sometime within the next two weeks. Having cut back on work for a while again, I'll have some time to write it up after the trip in about 7 days time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.