• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Summer patronage on Highland sleepers

Status
Not open for further replies.

4SRKT

Established Member
Did the Fort William one ever have a portion that continued to Mallaig do you know? I'm sure my dad has described using such a service...back in the 50s/60s though I guess.

I can't ever recall this, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen before my time. In the southbound direction it looked in the timetable like the sleeper started back at Mallaig, but this was misleading. The normal West Highland Mk I/II stock ran through from Mallaig to Queen St (the only through working of the day in either direction), but the sleepers and WCML seating accomodation were attached at FW. If you wanted a through train Mallaig > London you could get on at Mallaig, and walk through the gangway after the London portion was attached at FW.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I seem to remember there was a sleeper service to Barrow in the 1980's does anyone know when that one finished?

I remember it too, along with several daytime trains per day to Euston, which could sometimes produce class 40s on the non-electrified section. All bar one through train up in the morning and down in the evening gone by 1985, leaving Barrow all about the 108s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
BRX - I don't consider the Sleeper cabin equal to a 3 star hotel, but they are adquate for their purpose; and I usually pay extra for sole occupancy as well to ensure that I don't get disturbed by someone who spends a couple of hours in the lounge car and then comes into the cabin at 02.00 or something and wakes me up in the process.

Having said that, I've never had any problems with shared occupancy, but there is also the factor that I don't want to disturb anyone either, and being an astronome I will, if the weather is clear, spend the first hour or so of the journey looking out of the window with the blind up.

I consider the convenience of the through Sleeper journey a huge advantage; I wouldn't go with the block booking on a late evening service and then a late hotel transfer.

A60K - yes, now you mention it I had long since forgotten one thing; the only reason I was in Oban that day was because I couldn't get to Fort William as planned because the line was blocked by a landslip, so that explains my sighting of the Sleepers at Oban. I guess I now need to dig out that picture for the rare photos thread?

Edited to add:

Just checked the press releases, and I got the Night Riviera figures wrong; the four Sleepers is the increased level, it used to be three Sleepers until a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The sleeper simply can;t be compared to a 3 star hotel! Even the smallest single room I've had in a 2 star hotel was ensuite and bigger than a sleeper compartment for 2 people!

I that one of the reasons for the delcline of sleeper travel, along with the rise of low cost airlines and the introduction of faster trains, has been the reluctance to share a cabin with a stranger. It is simply not so acceptable as it once was.

It would be more acceptable in a couchette, but we've never had such things in the UK!

rail-britain

Established Member
Note :
The AA run two distinct different star schemes, one for Guest Houses and one for Hotels

I've never been asked how a sleeper berth compares to a AA hotel rating, so here goes :

1 star
Basically due to the lack of en-suite facilities

2 star
All rooms have private facilities (these can be found at the end of each coach)
However this refers to a private bathroom, the sleeper trains don't have these and showers are only available at certain stations

It is more likely a 1 star rating would be awarded, due to the dimensions
However, I do not know how the AA would like at having to share a berth with a stranger!
Therefore 1st Class and Solo would probably be awarded 1 star

Now turning to Guest Houses
The sleeper would easily attain 2 star
It would stumble on the 3 star as this requires "freshly cooked food for breakfast"

Last edited:

EltonRoad

Did the Fort William one ever have a portion that continued to Mallaig do you know? I'm sure my dad has described using such a service...back in the 50s/60s though I guess.

According to the book West Highland Railway, there were through sleeping cars to Mallaig from King's Cross in the first full year of its operation (ie about 1901/2), but none since. Guess there wouldn't be much demand; if you extended the current sleeper to Mallaig it would probably arrive at about 12 noon, allowing for shunting and speed restrictions, and would have to depart Mallaig at about 5.45 pm. Not much point putting on sleeping cars at that time of day.

Connections off the northbound sleeper to both Oban and Mallaig are pretty poor though. Surely needs a rethink.

Should go with my previous idea, split the sleeper at Carstairs thus running it about 90 mins earlier up the Fort William line. Would be much more useful for locals to use to arrive in FW at 8.30 am, and it would connect to Mallaig.

clock

What with this talk about a sleeper to Newcastle - thought I'd post this here.

The Scotrail online booking engine shows the Highland (down) sleeper on Sunday 25th July as diverted down the ECML, with a passenger stop at Newcastle. Anyone know if this stop is normal when it's diverted down the ECML, or perhaps just an error?

Eg. searching from Fort William to Newcastle, it gives you a fare of £93.00 + the supplement. It arrives at NCL at 03.11.

Perhaps SR have been having a look at this thread? :D

But really - Just an error in loading the schedule? Or do you think you really can travel Fort William/Aberdeen/Inverness etc. to Newcastle? (although, getting up at 3am...not sure anyone would want to)

EltonRoad

If you try and book either a berth or a seat from Inverness to Newcastle, or from Newcastle to Euston, it will give you fares but just gives an error message if you try and progress further.

Maybe it's a booked stop that accidentally found its way into the public timetable? There's no corresponding stop in the northbound direction.

clock

If you try and book either a berth or a seat from Inverness to Newcastle, or from Newcastle to Euston, it will give you fares but just gives an error message if you try and progress further.

Maybe it's a booked stop that accidentally found its way into the public timetable? There's no corresponding stop in the northbound direction.

Thought that must be it...thanks

rail-britain

Established Member
You can't book online for Newcastle, you need to phone FSR
The stop southbound is included so that passengers can travel onwards
There is no pickup northbound as there are better options direct from Crewe and Preston

Status
Not open for further replies.