• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Summer Saturday Crosscountry HST To Newquay

Status
Not open for further replies.

mralexn

Do you think it is likely that XC will Hire in an East Coast HST set to do MAN PIC to Newquay this year.. or ever again?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TEW

Established Member
No, seems very unlikely it will ever happen again. Certainly not under the current XC franchise where cutting all avoidable costs seems to be the fashion.

The HST's wont run from manchester i dont think as Manchester crews dont have traction knowledge im led to believe

NXEA!

I don't think they could hire an EC set, they're used intensively, I think 12 sets out of 14 a day. If there were to be any hire-ins I'd expect it to be from EMT, as they're not used quite so intensively.

MCR247

Established Member
Well every year in the summer XC need 100% fleet availability for a few days, although I can't remember whether that was just voyagers

D1009

Established Member
Last year they got away with just using 4 HSTs, and the Manchester Newquay was a voyager. Not ideal.

I remember a few years back they used to hire a HST off GNER for the weekend, if working the said set on Friday night we had to box all the cups and saucers up and take them back to RG Leeds<(

redthunder

cant see it being a HST, even the trips they do thats supposed to be a HST has been 220's or 221's, today was the 8th journey that was supposed to be a HST in this calendar year but instead they layed on a 220,

which was the 1703 Birmingham to Edinburgh!!!!! FULL STANDING LOAD!!!!!

CC 72100

Established Member
So even if that specific train isn't going to be a HST, are any hire-ins for any other services likely?

TEW

Established Member
Considering last year XC didn't even use their own HSTs as much as in previous summers it seems unlikely that they'll hire in HSTs this year.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Manchester crew no longer sign HSTs so its a non starter I'm afraid

Presumably they no longer sign the ECS route from Neville Hill to Manchester either.

Status
Not open for further replies.