• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

super express acceleration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGV

Bet thats a FGW HST ??, XC and East Coast drivers are a lot less cautious from a stand.

Played for and got, sir.

Agreed. I have some rough data on a (then) GNER HST and it was slightly quicker to 125mph than this - even with the extra carriage!!! Although we would have to compare gradient profiles (the brown line) to see what effect that had too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheWalrus

Established Member
Hence I said "assuming linear acceleration". Unless you've got the acceleration curve for the IEP, a train that doesn't and probably won't ever exist, there's not much else to go on is there?
Read my first post!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Played for and got, sir.

Agreed. I have some rough data on a (then) GNER HST and it was slightly quicker to 125mph than this - even with the extra carriage!!! Although we would have to compare gradient profiles (the brown line) to see what effect that had too.

Apart from a slight wobble on a steeper uphill bit in the first mile, that curve seems pretty unaffected by gradient to my eye?

TGV

Apart from a slight wobble on a steeper uphill bit in the first mile, that curve seems pretty unaffected by gradient to my eye?

Yes, it's not much of a gradient in truth. What I meant is that the GNER plot shows the train reaching 125mph slightly sooner than the FGW one despite the extra load of another carriage - but if it's almost ALL downhill on the GNER example then it doesn't make the comparison fair. I'd have to dig out the trace to see.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.