• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Super Off Peak Day Travelcard - Virgin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiggaz

Been reading the forums for a while, but now posting for the first time.

On playing around on the East Coast website this morning for day trips (Saturdays) to London from various stations in the north west - e.g. Runcorn, Wigan, Preston, etc - the system kept offering me the above ticket (priced at £32.40 from Runcorn/Wigan and £40.15 from Preston), but apparently with different time restrictions on different dates.

I've never come across this ticket before - which may be due to my ignorance - but it seems very good value. However, I couldn't find it on Virgin's own website. Does it exist and, if so, how can I establish the restrictions on different dates?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

First class

Established Member
Only available on a Saturday. No actual restrictions other than you must have a quota-controlled reserved seat going down there, (so subject to availability). You can come back on any service, and you don't need a reservation, although one is recommended. Comes in Standard class only, but you can upgrade on board for £15 each way to travel 1st Class.

Only valid on Virgin trains between the North West and London, and then any operator in the Zones 1-6 Travelcard area.

Saturday Day Travel card is a
Standard Class product
allowing customers to travel
from a number of Virgin Trains
stations to London and enjoy
unlimited travel throughout
London Fare Zones 1-6.
Reservations are compulsory
for the outward journey and
customers must travel on this
service. The return journey
can be made at any time on the
same day, although it is not
reservation compulsory,
reservations are recommended.
Please note that the ticket is
quota controlled on the
outward journey, and
reservations must be made out
of the correct quota. For
reservations for the return
journey, the default standard
class quota can be used.

WDT - SAT DYTCRD VWC
00474 - VIRGIN TRNS ONLY

1 Adult @£ 32.40 = £ 32.40

Wiggaz

Thanks - very helpful.

As regards the return leg, if you can use any service why does the East Coast website say that the ticket is not available on some trains (on some dates)? Is this an error that can be safely ignored?

Polarbear

Established Member
Apologies for bumping an old thread.

I've purchased this (excellent value) ticket for myself and a friend for next Saturday from Chester to London. Thank you for the information which was obtained from this very forum!:D

My question is regarding my return journey. The last through Virgin train from London to Chester on a Saturday is 18.10. There are of course later journey opportunities but these involve changing at Crewe & using Arriva trains.

I note the ticket is marketed as Virgin trains only - does that exclude connections such as the Crewe-Chester shuttle on Arriva?

Whilst I've not reserved a seat on my return journey, I did note when I was booking the ticket on the East Coast website that I could reserve seats on trains after 18.10 from Euston. The tickets only say that the ticket is routed via Rugby, not that they are only valid on Virgin trains.

Any assistance appreciiated!:)

Last edited:

nedchester

Established Member
Apologies for bumping an old thread.

I've purchased this (excellent value) ticket for myself and a friend for next Saturday from Chester to London. Thank you for the information which was obtained from this very forum!:D

My question is regarding my return journey. The last through Virgin train from London to Chester on a Saturday is 18.10. There are of course later journey opportunities but these involve changing at Crewe & using Arriva trains.

I note the ticket is marketed as Virgin trains only - does that exclude connections such as the Crewe-Chester shuttle on Arriva?

Whilst I've not reserved a seat on my return journy, I did note when I was booking the ticket on the East Coast website that I could reserve seats on trains after 18.10 from Euston. The tickets only say that the ticket is routed via Rugby, not that they are only valid on Virgin trains.

Any assistance appreciiated!:)

and interestingly the selection of southbound trains include use of ATW connection trains and also a few northbound as well so can't so why they can't be used on the Crewe to Chester with ATW????

clagmonster

Established Member
The conditions of carriage have this to say on the matter:
"10. Tickets valid only in trains of particular Train Companies
The validity of a ticket may:
a) be restricted to; or
b) prohibit
travel in the trains of a particular Train Company or Train Companies. Any such restriction
or prohibition will be shown on the ticket. If you travel in a train with a ticket that is not
valid, the relevant parts of Condition 2 or 4 will apply. If you are unable to use a ticket or
any part of it, you may be able to claim a refund under Condition 26 or Condition 36."
So if the ticket does not mention any operator restriction, then you are valid on any companies trains.

Green Lane

Thanks for the mention of this potentially very useful ticket, I had no idea it existed.

As it happens I went down to Greenwich Saturday just gone on a London Midland ticket from Liverpool to Euston then another ticket to Greenwich.

Total price of the tickets was only about a quid cheaper than this single Virgin ticket which would've covered the whole journey, but to be honest I don't at all mind the longer train rides and the non-reservation flexibility offered by LM (enjoying train travel as I do as an end in itself).

However, it is also definitely knowing about this Virgin one for when I want to get to London quicker, or have less time available.

Funnily enough I notice putting in Saturday 8th May I do not get offered this ticket on the Virgin Trains website, but I do get offered it on the London Midland website. No doubt, I'm missing the correct place to click on the VT website or something.

I had planned to go to Kew Gardens sometime in the summer. Was originally going to get an LM ticket to Watford Junction, then on the Overground to Kew via Willesden Junction, bypassing central London altogether. But I see now I could instead simply get the Virgin off peak ticket and use the underground through London from Euston to Kew instead, due to time saved on the Virgin train. Depends on what particular offers are on nearer the time I suppose!

trickyvegas

I used this to get from Manchester to the cup final on Saturday, excellent deal and having the flexibility on my return journey was very useful. Strangely enough the ticket was only available from Stockport even though my seat was unreserved from Manchester Piccadilly which is where I boarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.