• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Super off Peak ticket- Does not show on most sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdrennan

Hi. I was looking on Trainsplit for a journey and discovered a local ticket I was unaware of (Cheaper than a single if you meet the time conditions)

This is a Super off Peak (H4 Restrictions) and for Paisley Gilmour St (PYG) to Glasgow (GLC) it is £3.10 compared with £3.60 single or £3.90 Off peak.

Problem is that is does not appear on many booking sites and National rail site does not show either?

Is this invalid or are sites hiding this option

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
It think it may be to do with the fact that many of these tickets are designed only to be available on the Scotrail smartcard. In an apparent effort to do this, Scotrail have set the ticket type code to an uncommon one (OPB), which most ticket issuing systems do not recognise and therefore do not sell. However, as they have not set the data such that these tickets cannot be sold, they are still sold by retailers such as TrainSplit which can accommodate any ticket type.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I don't think most sites will even search return tickets if you indicate you are making a one-way journey.

sdrennan

I put in a return to see what happened. Nothing on Trainline (I need to use this for business) but Scotrail has it as Smartcard only. Not sure how Trainsplit can do that if it needs me to have a Smartcard??

Romilly

Established Member
It comes up on the LNER journey planner but isn't capable of being booked.

On trainline, it comes up in the list of alternative tickets but shows as unavailable because it needs to be downloaded to a smartcard.

Last edited:

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I put in a return to see what happened. Nothing on Trainline (I need to use this for business) but Scotrail has it as Smartcard only. Not sure how Trainsplit can do that if it needs me to have a Smartcard??
It can be printed via FastTicket/ToD or sent to you by post (if you leave enough time before travel). You don't need a smartcard and TrainSplit correctly sells it as a paper ticket.

alistairlees

Established Member
It can be printed via FastTicket/ToD or sent to you by post (if you leave enough time before travel). You don't need a smartcard and TrainSplit correctly sells it as a paper ticket.

If it's a smartcard only ticket type, why don't you need a smartcard?

krus_aragon

Established Member
If it's a smartcard only ticket type, why don't you need a smartcard?
I believe it's a "meant to be sold on a smartcard only" ticket type, but it's been put in the system as a "normal ticket with an obscure type code" one instead.

'ForTheLoveOf' ruminates above that there are no stated restrictions about selling it as a paper ticket (within the ticketing system), so it's fine for those booking engines that recognise the obscure type code to issue it on a paper ticket. Scotrail probably don't intend for it to be sold by TrainSplit on a paper ticket, but they didn't "forbid" it correctly.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't think they should be allowed to sell walk-up products on smart cards only as a matter of principle.

Pay As You Go (PAYG) is a different concept entirely, but for a traditional fare the medium should be irrelevant.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
It comes up on the LNER journey planner but isn't capable of being booked.

On trainline, it comes up in the list of alternative tickets but shows as unavailable because it needs to be downloaded to a smartcard.
Shouldn't now, looks like the site couldn't find a valid fulfillment method. It appears the ticket category is also incorrect as it was showing as an Advance type ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.