• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Supermarkets and Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meerkat

Established Member
Home deliveries are completely inadequate to handle anything other than a very small proportion of customers.

These arrangements are being complied with by consent, not because of the threat of arrest. Once ignoring them becomes widespread there is no way on Earth that compliance can be enforced. You have to be realistic. You see a few snippets of police clearing a beach or a park of sunbathers. All good press. They cannot visit every Tesco
Home deliveries are ramping up.
If the queue gets disorderly the staff will retreat inside and lock up until the police arrive.
The staff won’t accept being put at physical risk by the crowd or health risk by an overcrowded store.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sheff1

Established Member
And as I've said upthread, it's quicker (for us) to have one load up the shopping (at the till) at one end whilst the other packs it at the other end. Much quicker than if you're doing it alone

Same here. Unfortunately, there are some vociferous posters who insist that their method of shopping is the only acceptable one and everyone else must change to fall in line.

Adsy125

Same here. Unfortunately, there are some vociferous posters who insist that their method of shopping is the only acceptable one and everyone else must change to fall in line.
Quicker for you maybe, but slower for the population as a whole.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

That's not what I'm saying, and I couldn't give a monkey's how you shop normally provided your method doesn't impinge on me (so, for example, if children are taken to the supermarket they are properly controlled and not running amok[1]). However, supermarkets, under the advice of the Government, have asked us all to make special effort to shop a certain way to reduce the risk of COVID spread. Like the rest of the advice, we should all follow it for the greater good. Once the virus has gone, you can return to having a family party in the middle aisle of Aldi if you really must.

[1] Stick them on reins if you need to (why does nobody do that any more?). I got quite annoyed a while ago when, to give one example, a small child whose head height happened to be roughly the height of the bottom of a basket held in my hand was running around and ran into and banged his head on my basket[2], then the parent had the temerity to have a go at me for "not watching where I was going".

[2] Being tall I know well about the danger area of the "blind spot". It is very easy to bang your head on something that is *only just* below your head height, such as some doorways, because from a distance it appears you'll fit under it, and up close you don't see it.

sheff1

Established Member
I cannot think of a "multitude of reasons" why shopper would need to shop in store mob-handed.

I don't recall anyone suggesting shopping needs to be done mob-handed.

As for reasons why a couple might need to shop together, many have been listed on this very thread.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don't recall anyone suggesting shopping needs to be done mob-handed.

As for reasons why a couple might need to shop together, many have been listed on this very thread.

And you can do that once the COVID threat is over (which it will be at some point). In the meantime the Government and supermarkets have asked us to make sacrifices for the greater good. Having to go to Tesco on your own is not really a very big one in the scheme of things.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
OK Folks I think we all need to take a deep breath and cool it down a bit. There are various rules imposed by different supermarkets as regards to how many people are allowed in and we need to respect others views on whether they agree with that or not or are comfortable with that method of shopping. Please respect one another. Thanks

scotrail158713

Established Member
I’m not against the way you do it - I just can’t see how it’s easier and/or quicker. Any supermarket I’ve been in the system used seems to be that you unload your shopping onto the conveyor belt whilst the person in front of you is having theirs scanned. It seems to work for a large family shop as well as smaller amounts.

Established Member
I’m not against the way you do it - I just can’t see how it’s easier and/or quicker. Any supermarket I’ve been in the system used seems to be that you unload your shopping onto the conveyor belt whilst the person in front of you is having theirs scanned. It seems to work for a large family shop as well as smaller amounts.
Which is fine as long as your entire shop fits on said conveyor (some are longer than others) and due to social distancing a lot of super markets are only serving one customer or couple at the check out at a time. So by the time you get to load the conveyor the previous customer has been and gone.

sheff1

Established Member
However, supermarkets, under the advice of the Government, have asked us all to make special effort to shop a certain way to reduce the risk of COVID spread. Like the rest of the advice, we should all follow it for the greater good. Once the virus has gone, you can return to having a family party in the middle aisle of Aldi if you really must.

Supermarkets have asked us to shop in a certain way, but that way is not the same in each supermarket - some want individual customers only, some operate a one way system, some prefer people to use the self checkouts, some direct people away from the self checkouts etc. All of these variations are in place at different supermarkets within walking distance of out house - as a result, we concentrate our shopping at those whose chosen method best suits our shopping preference. We have zero effect on anyone who shops at one of the other supermarkets whose chosen method best suits their preference.

As for the suggestion that we "return" to having a family party in the middle of a supermarket .......

Last edited:

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
That's not what I'm saying, and I couldn't give a monkey's how you shop normally provided your method doesn't impinge on me (so, for example, if children are taken to the supermarket they are properly controlled and not running amok. Stick them on reins if you need to (why does nobody do that any more?). I got quite annoyed a while ago when, to give one example, a small child whose head height happened to be roughly the height of the bottom of a basket held in my hand was running around and ran into and banged his head on my basket, then the parent had the temerity to have a go at me for "not watching where I was going".

Nobody at this end of the thread mentioned children, so why you brought this into the thread is irrelevant and beyond me. I don't think any responsible parent would be bringing his or her child shopping during the present climate

And I am sorry for you if you don't like, or have any patience for children. It's not the child's fault if he or she runs around and bangs head on your basket

Anyway, I've had enough of this thread and will not post any more unless people can be more civil and respectful of each other's circumstances

sheff1

Established Member
And you can do that once the COVID threat is over (which it will be at some point). In the meantime the Government and supermarkets have asked us to make sacrifices for the greater good. Having to go to Tesco on your own is not really a very big one in the scheme of things.

Tesco doesn't require us to go on our own, neither does Morrisons or M&S. Many couples use these stores, if it was causing any issues I have no doubt the store(s) would change their policies - one month on it would appear none of them feel it is necessary. The only supermarket nearby which has a one adult policy is Sainsbury's which is why we no longer shop there.

bramling

Veteran Member
That is now the policy at the supermarket with which I am familiar - on the grounds that the verbal and physical abuse from people at the mere suggestion that they might consider going alone to help those behind, wasn't worth it.

It isn't always possible. There are a multitude of reasons why both members of a couple might need to go shopping. There are also a large number of people who don't see an issue and fancy a wander around the aisles shopping together, and stuff all the people waiting.

It was a daft policy, it was never going to work well, and I’m pleased to see it’s being abandoned. That’s not to say people shouldn’t be being encouraged to swiftly move round the store, but a blanket ban was never going to achieve this IMO.

bramling

Veteran Member
I couldn't disagree more about the impact on others of those couples entering the store. I did a medium-size top-up in this morning's 'wrinkly hour' at our local Waitrose, (bread and some fruit rarely lasts more than 4 days without going mouldy). There was a couple in the queue in front of me (M + F) of similar age to me. There was a contract security person manning the door and he just let them both walk in together despite there being notices to the contrary. Shortly after, the female decided that she wanted some flowers (obviously essential but that's another issue). She walked back past several following shoppers and spent about two minutes handling half the bunches and deciding what she wanted. She then tried to push back the her co-shopper who was just standing there waiting for her. Shortly after that there was another pause to debate their next item to purchase, blocking the entire end of aisle. I managed to move past them asap. Then there was another couple, he dawdling along slowly down the middle of the aisle, her darting backwards and forwards past anybody in her way. These couples wouldn't have got in together had the normal security person, or one of the loaned JL staff been on the door.
I mentioned it to one of the staff who said that they would report it to the floor supervisor. I cannot think of a "multitude of reasons" why shopper would need to shop in store mob-handed.

Does it necessarily follow that any of this wouldn’t have happened if this problem person was on their own?

greyman42

Established Member
I don't think any responsible parent would be bringing his or her child shopping during the present climate
There would be lots of reasons why they could not avoid bringing the child. eg; mother needs to go shopping and her husband is at work; single parent.... the list would be a long one.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
And I am sorry for you if you don't like, or have any patience for children. It's not the child's fault if he or she runs around and bangs head on your basket

No, it's the parent's fault. The parent is wholly responsible for ensuring the safety of their child.

There would be lots of reasons why they could not avoid bringing the child. eg; mother needs to go shopping and her husband is at work; single parent.... the list would be a long one.

Indeed, some have no choice. But of families that do, it's better to take one child and involve them in the learning experience.

3rd rail land

I went to a Sainsbury's Local earlier today. A few things had changed since my last visit. It used to be a one out one in operation but once I was at the front of the queue the security guy on the door made me wait until 2 people had left before allowing me to enter. There were certainly less people in the shop than on my last visit, Also they had implemented a one way system which with such few customers in the shops I thought wasn't needed. It just meant it took slightly lounger for me to get my shopping done. The final difference I saw was a staff member came out asking people if they were visiting for click and collect and if they were they didn't have to wait in the queue. That's fair enough since they would be spending hardly any time in the shop.

jkkne

There isn't a one size fits all approach, demand and population intensity will impact how things work. What works in Gateshead doesn't work in Grinstead.

Equally at the moment we have supermarkets 'requesting' people don't enter together. It's not a rule, it's a request. You can criticise peoples' choices here but whilst the choice is there they will make one.

AM9

Veteran Member
Does it necessarily follow that any of this wouldn’t have happened if this problem person was on their own?
If both couples had obeyed the rules, there would have been less obstruction of the restricted gangways in the shop. That is irresepctive of whether they were speedy or slow. The whole reason that customers are requested to restrict themselves to a single shopper (if possible) is to allow the free flowing of both customer and staff within the store. So those that don't obey the rules may be making a quicker shop for themselves, but are doing that at the expense of others who are complying with the rules and the spirit of the current changes. It's unfortuante that those few seem to think that they are so special that the rules needn't be adhered to but I suppose that's typical of this self-entitled age that we are now in.The problem here is that ultimately, these rules are designed to protect peoples health and even lives.

Last edited:

david1212

Established Member
Around 4pm I went to my local Tesco Superstore for my main weekly shop. My experience both here and the nearest Aldi at this time is either no queue or a just a few. By 5pm there is queuing again, I guess people finishing work at 4:30 and 5:00. I thought by the sky lightening I had dodged the showers too but as I was almost there a sharp shower. Glancing across certainly no long queue and the car park was relatively empty.

The trolley collectors were behind and no trolleys at the entry so I had to dash back for one. Four people all on there own ahead of me and I was just undercover. They were soon in followed by me. Trolley wiping with sanitiser was now self-service.

Overall going round most were observing the marked directions for the aisles and maintaining distance. Most people were on their own, a few couples but I didn't see a child. One man wearing a yellow waistcoat and with his phone to his ear just dashed around totally ignoring distancing. A few were wearing masks.

Overall stock of most items and more bread than two weeks ago. No frozen carrots, I bought a couple of tins as will run out within a week, and other items on my list were the same ones as two weeks ago. All Tesco products while more expensive alternatives were in stock e.g. Tesco crackers 300g 40p, Jacobs 200g £1.

Having read the recent comments I looked at pricing. A couple of items were lower as Aldi price match but others had increased if not this week recently. I haven't noticed any smaller packs but generally shrinkflation still goes on, I can't recall what now but this year something I buy occasionally was less quantity than the previous purchase.

Qwerty133

Established Member
Around 4pm I went to my local Tesco Superstore for my main weekly shop. My experience both here and the nearest Aldi at this time is either no queue or a just a few. By 5pm there is queuing again, I guess people finishing work at 4:30 and 5:00. I thought by the sky lightening I had dodged the showers too but as I was almost there a sharp shower. Glancing across certainly no long queue and the car park was relatively empty.

The trolley collectors were behind and no trolleys at the entry so I had to dash back for one. Four people all on there own ahead of me and I was just undercover. They were soon in followed by me. Trolley wiping with sanitiser was now self-service.

Overall going round most were observing the marked directions for the aisles and maintaining distance. Most people were on their own, a few couples but I didn't see a child. One man wearing a yellow waistcoat and with his phone to his ear just dashed around totally ignoring distancing. A few were wearing masks.

Overall stock of most items and more bread than two weeks ago. No frozen carrots, I bought a couple of tins as will run out within a week, and other items on my list were the same ones as two weeks ago. All Tesco products while more expensive alternatives were in stock e.g. Tesco crackers 300g 40p, Jacobs 200g £1.

Having read the recent comments I looked at pricing. A couple of items were lower as Aldi price match but others had increased if not this week recently. I haven't noticed any smaller packs but generally shrinkflation still goes on, I can't recall what now but this year something I buy occasionally was less quantity than the previous purchase.
A recent example of shrinkflation is Wrigleys Extra Chewing Gum, of which the multi packs available in Aldi have changed from 3x10 to 3x9 in the past few weeks.

sheff1

Established Member
If both couples had obeyed the rules, there would have been less obstruction of the restricted gangways in the shop. That is irresepctive of whether they were speedy or slow. The whole reason that customers are requested to restrict themselves to a single shopper (if possible) is to allow the free flowing of both customer and staff within the store. So those that don't obey the rules may be making a quicker shop for themselves, but are doing that at the expense of others who are complying with the rules and the spirit of the current changes. It's unfortuante that those few seem to think that they are so special that the rules needn't be adhered to but I suppose that's typical of this self-entitled age that we are now in.The problem here is that ultimately, these rules are designed to protect peoples health and even lives.

As has been explained many times, these alleged 'rules' are not in place at every supermarket. Even different branches of the same chain have different policies. I follow the actual rules pertaining at the store at which I am shopping (exactly as I did before Covid-19 was even known) not some 'rules' which random people on the interent think should apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.