• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Support from the forum ticket site

gray1404

Established Member
A friend of my travels on a Canterbury to Formby Off Peak Return regularly. On the Euston to Liverpool after the 1500 time restriction has kicked at Euston but before the time restrictions have kicked in at other London Terminals.

I've advised him to travel out of Marylebone changing in Birmingham (telling him that Paddington changing at Reading and Birmingham is also an option. Am I correct that Kings Cross and St Pancras are not options on this ticket?

I've told him to book on the forums site and that if he's forced to pay more going via another terminal, such as Marylebone, he would be supported by his retailer. In order to obtain this support if needed would he need to generate the itinerary too when booking for would merely booking on the site and attempting to use the ticket on a valid route at a valid time be enough?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
There are so many valid routes that I'm not going to list them, but they are shown in the routeing guide (https://data.atoc.org/routeing-guide) as routes between Faversham and Ashford to Liverpool or Wigan - these are the valid associated routeing points for this journey.

Primarily the route shown is LONDON, so this means that the two route segments can be considered separately, and London-Wigan is valid from Saint Pancras using maps combinations PR and PR+XW. Note that there isn't a valid route Saint Pancras - Liverpool - Formby I don't think.

Paddington/Reading is an option, as is Marylebone, with the associated time restrictions imposed by the 9I restriction code on the ticket of course.

I don't believe King's Cross is an option but I have not eliminated it exhaustively. I'll leave that to the original poster.

The routeing guide is sufficient to validate a route in the absence of an itinerary, but it's not always simple to use.

robbeech

Established Member
Whilst I not related to the forum site in any way, there would certainly be help available if travelling on a valid route. There shouldn’t be a need to have an exact itinerary although the forum’s site does lend itself to generating bespoke ones so it would certainly be a bonus.

JB_B

Established Member
....Am I correct that Kings Cross and St Pancras are not options on this ticket? ...

Via Midland Main Line / Hope Valley should be an option but only if you go via Wigan and rather than Liverpool. ( Maps PR and XR+PR from Wigan Group to LONDON for journeys from Wigan Group to Ashford International ) Obviously, you want to check that with a planner.

jfollows

Established Member
Via Midland Main Line / Hope Valley should be an option but only if you go via Wigan and rather than Liverpool. ( Maps PR and XR+PR from Wigan Group to LONDON for journeys from Wigan Group to Ashford International ) Obviously, you want to check that with a planner.
XW + PR I believe.

paul1609

Established Member
A friend of my travels on a Canterbury to Formby Off Peak Return regularly. On the Euston to Liverpool after the 1500 time restriction has kicked at Euston but before the time restrictions have kicked in at other London Terminals.

I've advised him to travel out of Marylebone changing in Birmingham (telling him that Paddington changing at Reading and Birmingham is also an option. Am I correct that Kings Cross and St Pancras are not options on this ticket?

I've told him to book on the forums site and that if he's forced to pay more going via another terminal, such as Marylebone, he would be supported by his retailer. In order to obtain this support if needed would he need to generate the itinerary too when booking for would merely booking on the site and attempting to use the ticket on a valid route at a valid time be enough?
In my opinion if youre coming in to St Pancras on HS1, Sheffield is generally the best alternative route to the Northwest. Its also for somereason that Ive not quite sussed seems to have plentiful EMR plus connections advances available from Kent.

Adam Williams

Established Member
In order to obtain this support if needed would he need to generate the itinerary too when booking for would merely booking on the site and attempting to use the ticket on a valid route at a valid time be enough?
If you can get it in the itinerary at booking time, it's very helpful (and I would always encourage trying to use the Via/Avoid options to ensure the itinerary is as similar as possible to the intended travel) because it's a much more straightforward case of going to the TOC and politely asking "The customer was exactly following an itinerary issued by an accredited retail system, what were your staff thinking when they asked them to [pay for a new ticket]/[buy an incorrectly issued excess]?" - but it's not a hard requirement and the validity of the tickets does not depend on the existence of such an itinerary, of course. Support would be offered in either case.