Swanage Railway - Appeal Launched As Existence Threatened

Discussion in 'Railtours & Preservation' started by Titfield, 25 Mar 2020 at 13:36.

1. Titfield

Titfield Member

Just seen this on Swanage Railway Trust Website
    https://www.swanagerailwaytrust.org/giving

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Established Member

This will be affecting All of our heritage railways and the best thing to do is "Donate" to your chosen line(s)....as much and as often as you can. It is surprising how much you are saving by not going to visit, petrol, tickets, food and drink......so donate that much for each missed visit, if possible. Most railways have websites with easy on-line "donate" facilities.

4. 341o2

341o2 Established Member

An excellent idea. I would have visited the Diesel Gala over 2 days and believe the Wareham service would have started early May. sorry to be a bit pessimistic over a May reopening, but seems improbable, especially as people still appear not to be heeding the PM about staying at home

5. Maybach

Maybach Member

Easier said than done. Yes, if you're on a guaranteed income over the next few months such as a key worker salary or a pension etc. then it's a commendable idea. But if you've just lost your job, been laid off or are a self-employed person who's following government advice and can't work then this isn't an option. Sadly, donating to your favourite heritage line will have to come bottom of the list - at least for the time being.

In the last couple of days, I've seen two similar appeals from heritage railways who were already in financial difficulties, namely the West Somerset and Llangollen. Their supporters may well step up to the plate (again) but at some point there's just not going to be enough money to go round.

6. packermac

packermac Member

Railway closed until further notice. Those on 12 weeks isolation (before any extension) is mid June. You may get a diesel gala (although I would not put money on it) do not see Wareham happening this year.
    Remember the Mayor of New York is talking about restrictions for 9 months. He may be wrong but if the curve is flattened to help the NHS what happens to those who have not had it when the restrictions are lifted and no vaccination available until next year at least.

7. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Established Member

Maybach.....I did say ..."If possible...." as I too recognise the reality for many people will be hardship and heritage railways may be considered a niche luxury. Nevertheless if we can help, then this is probably the best/only way at present.