• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Swanage Railway Diesel Gala 24 - 26 April 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titfield

Established Member
Swanage Railway have moved their diesel gala from its "traditional date" of the first week end after the first May Bank Holiday to the last weekend of April.

Apparently this is because the first bank holiday in May has been moved to Friday 8th May as part of the VE 75 commemorations.

Deltic 55 019 appears to be in the guest line up as it is doing driver experiences on the 18th and 19th of April. https://swanagerailway.co.uk/events/detail/deltic-driving-experience

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Edders23

I have never made it to this one partly due to the distance involved and partly because something always crops up last minute

Done the Deltic many times but always wanted to visit the Swanage line

AnthonyRail

Established Member
April diesel gala sounds good. Nowt happening then so I'll do that Fri/Sat

gazthomas

Established Member
This was scheduled for this date last year. Shame other railways, specially Embsay and Bolton Abbey have only just announced their diesel gala for the same weekend. I appreciate they're a distance apart but information one would have gone to both if they had been on different weekends

xotGD

Established Member
This was scheduled for this date last year. Shame other railways, specially Embsay and Bolton Abbey have only just announced their diesel gala for the same weekend. I appreciate they're a distance apart but information one would have gone to both if they had been on different weekends
Do you have a link to the gen about the Embsay & Bolton Abbey?

gazthomas

Established Member
This is what popped up on Facebook

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200215-193944_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20200215-193944_Facebook.jpg
    732.3 KB · Views: 61

Edders23

Did go to BA & E a few years ago for their diesel gala it was Ok but got a bit fed up of the staff constantly pestering you to buy a skipton extender.

As a line I would rate then 6 or 7 out of 10 but not been tempted to go back it's the sort of line that's great to do once but once ticked off not a big enough draw for me

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
I have been threatening to join my colleague from Thirsk for many years at this event (since our XC days I think) yet still not managed to actually commit to it. Really depends on what shifts and discos I have booked that weekend but if the wife can spend a weekend chasing Jedward on their UK tour, then it’s about time I spent a weekend chasing rats, bagpipes and Brewster from Chuggington!!!

Has all of the traction been announced yet?

Edders23

there seems to be quite a few locos dropping out of diesel galas might be a bit of a thin season for runners this year

AnthonyRail

Established Member
First visit from a DRS loco this years gala. Class to be confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.