• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sway - Issues all day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Does anyone know what is causing the issues at Sway, near Bournemouth? Been ongoing since this morning, have noticed Crosscountry saying they will not serve Bournemouth for the remainder of the day, quoting a broken down train.

Is a broken down train really causing issues this late in the day if it failed this morning?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AVK17

The conductor rail has become displaced and there is a train stuck because of it, which will need to be recovered.

W'looMan

Yes 2B13 failed with power issues this morning, a rescue train (1Z99) was sent in to the section to assist. It then also gapped, so it has stopped the job. Single line working is now being set up on the up line in order to have some sort of service south of Southampton.

pompeyfan

Established Member
If the con rail have been displaced it leaves a lot of questions, how, when, why, why has it only just been noticed.

It’s a shame rescue locos that are compatible can’t be resourced.

W'looMan

The con rail was inspected after the first failure and defects were seen, but it was declared that the con rail was still within spec, until the rescue unit was went in and then promptly gapped! There is talk of asking Cross Country of sending in a train to attach to the failures and going wrong road to Brockenhurst, which can be done, as the trains involved have Dellner couplers.

dgl

Established Member
The con rail was inspected after the first failure and defects were seen, but it was declared that the con rail was still within spec, until the rescue unit was went in and then promptly gapped! There is talk of asking Cross Country of sending in a train to attach to the failures and going wrong road to Brockenhurst, which can be done, as the trains involved have Dellner couplers.
If a crosscountry Voyager can assist I assume then that the coupler heights are the same then, naturally power shouldn't be a problem as the Voyagers have more HP than a 47!

Established Member
If the con rail have been displaced it leaves a lot of questions, how, when, why, why has it only just been noticed.

It’s a shame rescue locos that are compatible can’t be resourced.
Do the failed units not carry emergency couplers that enable locos to rescue?

W'looMan

Well the SWR Desiro fleet do not carry them, so it is a headache when this happens.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Do the failed units not carry emergency couplers that enable locos to rescue?
They’re only compatible mechanically, although in hindsight it is likely that towing both dead units back at 5mph using a 66 might have been quicker, assuming there was the platform space at Brockenhurst and the ability to run wrong road Totton - Brockenhurst and assuming a 66 and driver was available at Millbrook or Eastleigh.

Bob M

Utter chaos at Southampton Airport at lunchtime, and still the same at 2200 tonight. No trains, no information, PIS showing a mixture of lies and nonsense and automated announcements ditto.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Utter chaos at Southampton Airport at lunchtime, and still the same at 2200 tonight. No trains, no information, PIS showing a mixture of lies and nonsense and automated announcements ditto.
Up to the usual standard in these situations, then.

So the con rail was damaged enough to cause an unexpected gap? That suggests a section was at least dead, if not missing!

Wychwood93

Mrs. Wychwood and I were caught up in this. We arrived in Southampton around 11.00 on a Victoria/Southampton service - I could tell immediately that something was up as there were assorted trains in the 'wrong' platforms for that time. We boarded what could have been the next train to leave - the somewhat delayed 09.05 Waterloo/Weymouth. Good info. from the guard as to the lack of progress - until we had the 'this train is being terminated here' bit. Buses had been requested and should be available fairly soon. Around 12.00 we boarded a RRB - a single decker Xelabus - destined for Brockenhurst, New Milton, Christchurch and Bournemouth. As we were heading home this was fine and we hopped off at Christchurch at around 13.40. We caught the bus back home and were delayed overall by some two hours as a result - not too bad and, as retired staff, we are not looking for 'delay repay'. We were told at the time that it was a train failure - having read the above I can see that it was, although not the fault of the train itself! Re. the negative comments above about PIS - very hard for the staff involved to ensure someone keeps that updated in an evolving situation. The platform and gateline staff did the best they could with the information they had and the number of people wanting to know what the 'clucking bell' was going on.

I did wonder about the 'failed train' bit - had it been just that, it would have been resolved sooner and I was surprised when I was at home that it was still ongoing. All of us on here who are current and former staff have stumbled across similar situations on many occasions. The staff that I observed yesterday did as well as they could and a thank you to them for that!

Bob M

I understand that the problem at Sway disrupted travel beyond Southampton, and I 'm pleased to hear Mr and Mrs Wychwood were provided with a bus, but why on earth was there no service between Southampton and Waterloo that evening?

Wychwood93

I understand that the problem at Sway disrupted travel beyond Southampton, and I 'm pleased to hear Mr and Mrs Wychwood were provided with a bus, but why on earth was there no service between Southampton and Waterloo that evening?
15 services between 1600 and 2300.

From RTT: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...22-12-03/1600-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

And at Southampton from Waterloo: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...22-12-03/1600-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

Bob M

Your RTT is for Dec 3rd. We were there for the 2208 on 2nd. There were no trains.

Wychwood93

Your RTT is for Dec 3rd. We were there for the 2208 on 2nd. There were no trains.
Sorry! - I had feeling something wasn't quite right!

Edit: Looking at the 2nd, there were certainly four that I have seen so far which started short at Southampton - the 1730, 1830, 2000 and 2100.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.