• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Swindon ---> Callow Hill ---> Acton Turville ---> Chipping Sodbury

Status
Not open for further replies.

dugdug03

Hey guys, Im not 100% sure where to post this so ill try here.....

I've recently been spending the odd hour in Callow Hill and ive noticed a number of frieght movements and of course loads of HST over last few weeks,

I just after more information on this routing... Ive seen a couple of class 66 hauled container workings and the odd class 70...

a couple days ago a light class 60 went through and ive noticed a fair few other class 66's go through on other frieght workings...

Can anyone advise me of any sort of information, for example where they all head to... where i can get diagrams so i know when the best time to see frieght workings or even best days to catch movements... and what else i can expect to see or is it just going to be 66's and 70's

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hey there!!

On the badminton lines all passenger workings are FGW HST services to/from London and south Wales!

Freight workings are more sporadic! Although not a huge amount is on this line, there is a nice steady mixture throughout the day!

The most common at the moment are the Avonmouth - Didcot P.S. coal runs!
There are normally a few of these a day in each direction!

There are also a couple of container trains from Wentloog - Southampton in each direction! Timings for these are a little more unpredictable, but generally there is one to Wentloog around sunrise, one to Southampton late morning and another couple late evening!

The Theale - Robeston tanks are a good shot for a class 60, these normally run a couple of times a week!

Then there is steel from Llanwern - Dollands Moor, tarmac from Hayes - Swansea, enterprise movements between Newport/Didcot/Wembley, ballast workings from Crawley/Acton to Stoke Gifford, Occassional MOD traffic between Didcot and Wentloog, and other bits and prices between south Wales, Didcot and London!

Freightmaster would be a good option if your seriously interested in seeing specific freight! I believe they have timetables for both Bristol Parkway and Swindon, so you could work out timings for any location inbetween pretty comfortably!

dugdug03

Hey there!!

On the badminton lines all passenger workings are FGW HST services to/from London and south Wales!

Freight workings are more sporadic! Although not a huge amount is on this line, there is a nice steady mixture throughout the day!

The most common at the moment are the Avonmouth - Didcot P.S. coal runs!
There are normally a few of these a day in each direction!

There are also a couple of container trains from Wentloog - Southampton in each direction! Timings for these are a little more unpredictable, but generally there is one to Wentloog around sunrise, one to Southampton late morning and another couple late evening!

The Theale - Robeston tanks are a good shot for a class 60, these normally run a couple of times a week!

Then there is steel from Llanwern - Dollands Moor, tarmac from Hayes - Swansea, enterprise movements between Newport/Didcot/Wembley, ballast workings from Crawley/Acton to Stoke Gifford, Occassional MOD traffic between Didcot and Wentloog, and other bits and prices between south Wales, Didcot and London!

Freightmaster would be a good option if your seriously interested in seeing specific freight! I believe they have timetables for both Bristol Parkway and Swindon, so you could work out timings for any location inbetween pretty comfortably!

Thank you for taking the time to reply! i have found this very helpful! i have some filiming of callow hill on youtube and will see if i get over the sometime this week for a few hours

Freightmaster

Established Member
Those timetables no longer exist these days (replaced by Pilning and Uffington),
but I am more than happy to provide 'bespoke' timetables for just about
any location (such as Chipping Sodbury or Hullavington) on request for
current FMonline subscribers....

MARK

Status
Not open for further replies.