• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Swine Flu"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
This thing about "Swine-Flu" is getting on my nerves where people are making to much of it.

It has been proved that swine flu if caught has the same feeling as normal seasonal flu,which I and many others on the site have caught before and get over It after a week or so.

The goverment are making to much of it and are scaring people when its not neccasary (except if you got underlying health problems),I was viewing another thread just now and I am not going to use names,but someone who was ment to meet up with people off the site was scared off because of swine flu,which is a bit stupid as you have the same chance of catching it where-ever you go.

People should not be scared and go out and enjoy them selves instead of being idiots sitting indoors worrying about catching somthing swine flu all-day and wasting there lives doing so.

I was on a very crowded and cramped bus the other day and people were coffing and sneezing everywhere all threw the journey and when i got off I was a bit worried,but about a week later nothing happened.

My opinion is if your going to get it,your gonna get it.

So people who are scared of it stop being complete idiots,stop wasting your life and get out there and enjoy it while you can because your wasting it because of a stupid thing that about less than 1% of the nation of got and theres not that much chance of catching it so get off your chair and out the door!.
Regards

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aussie_Rail

This thing about "Swine-Flu" is getting on my nerves where people are making to much of it.

It has been proved that swine flu if caught has the same feeling as normal seasonal flu,which I and many others on the site have caught before and get over It after a week or so.

The goverment are making to much of it and are scaring people when its not neccasary (except if you got underlying health problems),I was viewing another thread just now and I am not going to use names,but someone who was ment to meet up with people off the site was scared off because of swine flu,which is a bit stupid as you have the same chance of catching it where-ever you go.

People should not be scared and go out and enjoy them selves instead of being idiots sitting indoors worrying about catching somthing swine flu all-day and wasting there lives doing so.

I was on a very crowded and cramped bus the other day and people were coffing and sneezing everywhere all threw the journey and when i got off I was a bit worried,but about a week later nothing happened.

My opinion is if your going to get it,your gonna get it.

So people who are scared of it stop being complete idiots,stop wasting your life and get out there and enjoy it while you can because your wasting it because of a stupid thing that about less than 1% of the nation of got and theres not that much chance of catching it so get off your chair and out the door!.
Regards
I've probably mentioned this before but Swine-flu is very last week here in Oz, when it was in fashion everyone was a bit panicky about it and people went to all kind of strange lengths, even to the point of wearing a face mask on the train, which still got them plenty of strange looks.

But this was about 4 or more months ago. Now Swine-flu is so last month, people who had it said they had had worse paper-cuts and after a few days they were ok, so people stopped caring.

And this happened in Victoria, which at the time was the worst State in Australia for Swine-flu.

So I don't know if its the 'easy going' attitude here or we are just so not phased by it, despite a few have died here, but I can't understand why people overseas are so worried about it?

When people travel on the train in the UK do many people wear face masks? Has anyone gone to such lengths that they are buying disinfectant by the tank and soaking everything in it?

If I travel on the train tomorrow and start coughing and sneezing, people would still react the same way they did a year ago.

Not to forget that thousands die each year from the common cold and the flu anyway, and the people that have had swine-flu compared to those who have died from it isn't that big of a number.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
I've probably mentioned this before but Swine-flu is very last week here in Oz, when it was in fashion everyone was a bit panicky about it and people went to all kind of strange lengths, even to the point of wearing a face mask on the train, which still got them plenty of strange looks.

But this was about 4 or more months ago. Now Swine-flu is so last month, people who had it said they had had worse paper-cuts and after a few days they were ok, so people stopped caring.

And this happened in Victoria, which at the time was the worst State in Australia for Swine-flu.

So I don't know if its the 'easy going' attitude here or we are just so not phased by it, despite a few have died here, but I can't understand why people overseas are so worried about it?

When people travel on the train in the UK do many people wear face masks? Has anyone gone to such lengths that they are buying disinfectant by the tank and soaking everything in it?

If I travel on the train tomorrow and start coughing and sneezing, people would still react the same way they did a year ago.

Not to forget that thousands die each year from the common cold and the flu anyway, and the people that have had swine-flu compared to those who have died from it isn't that big of a number.

When I was at brighton there was a couple of chinese tourists with masks on but we aint gone to the mask thing yet and I dont think we will,and it has been proved if your wearing one of those masks you got more chance of catching it ;)
Regards

On the contrary a bloke at work had it and said yeah, it was like normal flu apart from throwing up every 2 minutes!

Established Member
The problem is mostly because of the press.

They tend to hype most things up and overdo them simply so that more people pay attention to them; people pay more attention to someone talking about a possible pandemic than about a virus that feels similar to normal flu but could be a bit more dangerous.

And because people listen to the press, they then believe that the threat is as big as said, although it seems that often it's not. Remember bird flu?

Personally, I dislike a lot of the press. I don't pay much attention to them because I'm not interested in what is, for the most part, scaremongering.

For example, terrorism, because this gets such wide coverage from the press every time an attack happens, often they get exactly what they want, and our freedom is reduced by a little bit. So many people just assume that terrorism is just the attacks themselves, but it's not, it's the effects it has afterwards. The 9/11 attackers are a perfect example, the attack killed many people, but then airports completely changed, and now it takes hours to get onto your plane, everything gets x-rayed, security is much tighter, and in general, everyone travelling has been inconvenienced, whether the attacks affected them directly or not.

Another example; when someone goes into a public place, shoots a load of people and then themselves. This gets huge coverage, with it being on the news for days, or even weeks afterwards. And because of this and the way the news covers it, the person sitting there thinking about it sees how much attention they can get by doing this and decides that it is what they are going to do. i'm not the only one who agrees with this either, I've seen footage from the news of an expert on telling them that they shouldn't be giving it so much coverage and that they shouldn't be giving this person so mcuh attention, but they just ignore this in their bid to get more viewers and to get more attention.

I dislike the press in general, and I realy dislike the way people are quite happy to give up their freedoms just because the government says it will help stop terrorism, which is crap, because the removal of freedom is the terrorism. Frankly, I'm pretty sick of the whole scaremongering by the government and acceptance of it by the general public of this country.

asylumxl

Established Member
I predict Swine Flu kills as many people as normal Flu.

In the end it's just another strand of Influenza, it's not a big deal. People get it all the time.

43021HST

Established Member

They tend to hype most things up and overdo them simply so that more people pay attention to them; people pay more attention to someone talking about a possible pandemic than about a virus that feels similar to normal flu but could be a bit more dangerous.

And because people listen to the press, they then believe that the threat is as big as said, although it seems that often it's not. Remember bird flu?

Personally, I dislike a lot of the press. I don't pay much attention to them because I'm not interested in what is, for the most part, scaremongering.

For example, terrorism, because this gets such wide coverage from the press every time an attack happens, often they get exactly what they want, and our freedom is reduced by a little bit. So many people just assume that terrorism is just the attacks themselves, but it's not, it's the effects it has afterwards. The 9/11 attackers are a perfect example, the attack killed many people, but then airports completely changed, and now it takes hours to get onto your plane, everything gets x-rayed, security is much tighter, and in general, everyone travelling has been inconvenienced, whether the attacks affected them directly or not.

Another example; when someone goes into a public place, shoots a load of people and then themselves. This gets huge coverage, with it being on the news for days, or even weeks afterwards. And because of this and the way the news covers it, the person sitting there thinking about it sees how much attention they can get by doing this and decides that it is what they are going to do. i'm not the only one who agrees with this either, I've seen footage from the news of an expert on telling them that they shouldn't be giving it so much coverage and that they shouldn't be giving this person so mcuh attention, but they just ignore this in their bid to get more viewers and to get more attention.

I dislike the press in general, and I realy dislike the way people are quite happy to give up their freedoms just because the government says it will help stop terrorism, which is crap, because the removal of freedom is the terrorism. Frankly, I'm pretty sick of the whole scaremongering by the government and acceptance of it by the general public of this country.

Exactly my thoughts. Well said 90019.
My Mum got Swine flu and she was really worried because we have 1 year old and 2 year old in the house and they are as the media put it 'at risk'. Mum recovered from it in 5 days and my little brothers didnt catch it.

GWRtom

why does it matter if we all die anyway it whould be for the better since we whouldnt be here to experiance the depression of the NWO

me123

Established Member
I predict Swine Flu kills as many people as normal Flu.

In the end it's just another strand of Influenza, it's not a big deal. People get it all the time.

It should kill fewer, but people can still die from it. So it's rather selfish to go around spreading it to people, not taking any precautions.

Stacey

Its piffle really I mean, there always has to be something hyped up! There will always be the worriers and what do you do? Those of us who work on the trains are more at risk...! But, pax are filthy anyway!
Mind you, it's often amusing if you sneeze around a worrier when you're working a train...!! hehehehe

There's no flies on you.
The BBC are the worst. I refuse to watch their crap, and pay a TV license.

me123

Established Member
No, I like the BBC on the whole. In fact, most things I watch (and I don't watch a lot of stuff) are on BBC. The news is the least biased I can find (although it's still pretty biased in places). It's also the most accurate news, and they always seem to be careful to minimise the risk of causing paranoia (but the Daily Mail makes up for that).

Conversely, the rest are just full of rubbish. Nothing on ITV at all for me, only a bit on 4 and 5's a channel I've never watched apart from the odd movie.

Tom B

Established Member
I watch very little television - for starters, I don't own a set - but I can't remember the last time I watched something on STV...

Status
Not open for further replies.