• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Swinton (S Yorks) footbridge closure

casual onion

Does anyone know what's happening to the footbridge at Swinton? The steps have been closed for a month or so now, with the ramps remaining open.

Are there plans to refurbish or replace it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Killingworth

Established Member
Does anyone know what's happening to the footbridge at Swinton? The steps have been closed for a month or so now, with the ramps remaining open.

Are there plans to refurbish or replace it?
It certainly needs major attention to severe corrosion damage. I pictured it in October 2022 and on a more recent visit it looked worse.

20221019_145225.jpg 20221019_145136.jpg

Peterthegreat

Established Member
I think the steps have been closed for around 3 months now. Despite the posters claiming work is underway nothing appears to have been done.

D6130

Established Member
I have noticed similarly bad corrosion damage on some steel footbridges at stations in Scotland. Dalgety Bay and Leuchars come to mind.

Mugby

Established Member
This is a problem which will be increasingly prevalent all over the network in the not too distant future. Many of these structures cost a million pounds or more to design, fabricate and install and it's becoming clear that their lifespan will be no more than about 30 years.
The concept is completely wrong, box section steel is just not suitable for structures such as these, as the evidence shows, it will rust away in no time at all.

There doesn't seem to be any problem with the cast iron structures which most of the pre-grouping companies built well over a century ago!