• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Switch Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies.

grumpyxch

I have been reading Peter Kay's books "The London, Tilbury & Southend Railway : A History Of The Company and Line", and at one point he talks about a track modification at a junction as "relaid with switch diamonds". Would someone please explain - does this mean a diamond crossing was replaced with two points fitted back-to-back so that you have the equivalent of a double slip? The junction was at the foot of a fairly long, steep climb so keeping up speed through the junction was fairly important. Before the modification, there had apparently been many complaints about excessive speed through here.

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
I have been reading Peter Kay's books "The London, Tilbury & Southend Railway : A History Of The Company and Line", and at one point he talks about a track modification at a junction as "relaid with switch diamonds". Would someone please explain - does this mean a diamond crossing was replaced with two points fitted back-to-back so that you have the equivalent of a double slip? The junction was at the foot of a fairly long, steep climb so keeping up speed through the junction was fairly important. Before the modification, there had apparently been many complaints about excessive speed through here.

Many thanks
Scroll down to photos 6 and 7 here.
Almost correct: the fixed rails at the obtuse angle where the tracks cross are replaced with movable ones like point blades, meaning that the wheels do not have to negotiate a gap.
This gives a smoother run but, more important, allows a more obtuse (shallower) angle and therefore higher speed over the diverging route - typically 40-60mph instead of 20mph.
Unlike a double slip, only the straight routes can be used.

grumpyxch

Thankyou 30907. That not only explained the situation clearly, but then answered a question I only thought of after I read your reply - namely about the movable parts being interlocked with the signals. I'm old but I'm still learning.
Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.