• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Switching off street lights overnight

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I agree with that. I stupidly bought a 42W energy saving floodlight that was probably brighter than the light on the Luxor hotel. As you say, it did light things up like a football pitch but the glare was terrible - and the light straight out and blinding anyone looking on. This was in a back garden, with the idea of lighting up the far end fence - but it would be better to just get another light there.

A dimmer light, shone downwards, not only looks nicer but does exactly what you say - lights up any objects, while not dazzling you. It's definitely the way to go, and it's more energy efficient too.

Suffice to say, newer street lights now have much better control of the light - which gets the most from the light but also cuts down on light pollution.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Yes, there is a difference between damage to property and people. Take all the horrid 50s and 60s inner-city developments, with narrow alleys and bridges, or areas with subways and other hidden places and you'll see there were big improvements by improving lighting (then later, the lighting aided CCTV). Okay, so these places aren't going to have the lights turned off, but they need to be careful.

The architectural disasters that were modular built deck-access public housing built in the 1960's as the "brave new way forward" showed that ideology is no substitute for traditionally built housing with adequate street lighting that functions to protect both people and property.

anthony263

Established Member
I have tried walking down a narrow country road with just a torch in the winter once. Not a experience i want to repeat.

My House is on a main road, yet our council has decided that 1 out of every 3 streetlights will switch off after midnight. (Nice for me since we 1 across the road opposite my bedroom window is 1 that goes off so i dont have the light coming in.)

I have driven on road where there were no lights as there were either non at all or they were turned off, this has happened to me on the m4 driving back from Cardiff after catching a late night coach back from London

Status
Not open for further replies.