• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Switching Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

willc789

Afternoon all

Im currently due to travel from B'ham New Street - Euston and return this Monday (17th) but due to changing plans I'm now having to travel from Castle Cary - Paddington and back. I've already purchased tickets over the counter at New Street and need to know if I can pay an excess to switch the route to Castle Cary and any price difference in it or if I will need to cancel the tickets and buy a new set?

Many thanks for your help in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

calc7

Established Member
Afternoon all

Im currently due to travel from B'ham New Street - Euston and return this Monday (17th) but due to changing plans I'm now having to travel from Castle Cary - Paddington and back. I've already purchased tickets over the counter at New Street and need to know if I can pay an excess to switch the route to Castle Cary and any price difference in it or if I will need to cancel the tickets and buy a new set?

Many thanks for your help in advance!

Is it a walk-up ticket (e.g. Not Advance)? Then your best bet is to refund the unused ticket minus the discretionary £10 admin fee and buy a new one. An excess to Castle Cary will not be possible as Birmingham is not on a permitted route from Castle Cary to London.

If you post the times you will be travelling from Somerset we can advise you on the most appropriate tickets.

willc789

Its an anytime return with YP railcard on it too.

For travelling from Castle Cary, I need to be arriving into london at 11.30 in order for me to make it down the tube and over to Bank. For the return I ideally need an open return as I'm not certain when I'll be able to head back although would hazard a guess at around 6.

Alternatively I can go from Templecombe to Waterloo as thats always proven itself as much cheaper in years gone by.

Thanks!

calc7

Established Member
The £54.10 Off-Peak Day Travelcard from Castle Cary to Paddington would suit your needs. You may either take the 0744 changing at Bath Spa and arriving in London at 1039; or the direct 0942 arriving in London and 1124 (this is over an hour quicker). It includes unlimited travel in Z1-6 after 0930.

Coming back the 1733 departure is barred on the above ticket, but the 1833 arriving at 2024 is permitted.

If you wish to travel on the 1733 then an Off-Peak Single out and an Anytime Single back totals £89.75 but does not include the Tube.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Its an anytime return with YP railcard on it too.

You don't specify the route you're taking, but if travelling on Virgin Trains then this ticket is a waste of money. Virgin allow Railcard holders to travel on any train with a discounted Off Peak ticket, there are no time restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.