• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR and MTR Crossrail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenrix

Hello guys. This is my first post so please be patient with me :)

For the past few months I was unemployed and explored almost all the TOCs applying for any position I could. It is the typical railway job hunting which took the recruitment process a long time. Moving forward, I managed to get an offer from SWR for a Gateline assistant role and have done the medical, etc. And is due to start in 2 days time! But just a few days ago I received another offer from MTR Crossrail for a Customer Service Experience position and I still couldn't get over comparing both companies. Obviously the MTR is the way to go for me as they give a slightly higher pay and free travel which benefits me alot! Now the only downside is that with MTR, I will be starting in 15th October which leaves me with this never ending dilemma.

Now I've been getting some advice that MTR is a new company and people don't know how they work(yet) whereas SWR has been running for ages and there are some pros and cons but any toc will have one or two flaws and there will be a lot of opportunities down the line. Could someone please care to give some more advice on which path should I take? It will be very much appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ThatGuy

Any more reasons why? Thanks!

They’re literally learning from all the mistakes previous TOCs have made in the past is he gist I’m getting. It’s also the fact that not everyone is established in a role yet, so even if you got your foot through the door it’ll be a lot easier for you to move around the company. As for the drivers I don’t see any really complaining (much lol). And let’s just say a lot of veterans from other TOCs have already made the switch simply because it’s the place to be right now.

Stigy

Established Member
I’d go with Crossrail too in your shoes. It’s a blank canvass and one which is having money thrown in to it. I don’t think you can lose to be honest.

Kenrix

Bump!

Any more advice? I still have 2 days to make up my mind. Thanks to the people who gave their advice!

CatchMeIfUCan

SWR. Progression within the company is surreal. Can apply for internal positions soon after 6months.

dctraindriver

SWR. Progression within the company is surreal. Can apply for internal positions soon after 6months.
Depends on the role I guess. As an example applying and getting a trainee drivers role isn’t the same as applying after 6 months and getting the post there and then. Many are waiting to progress to trainee driver for an age. How long have you been waiting?

There’s a bit of uncertainty at SWR at the mo, so I think on that assumption, the OP lives closer to Crossrail, free travel relevant to them, higher starting salary coupled with a lot of money being thrown at this new company it’s a good place to start.

HeelBurton

I’d go SWR if you want progression opportunities. As someone has gone through the system myself from guards to driver to driving instructor, there’s opportunities to apply elsewhere once you’ve done 6 months, and I seeing quite a lot. I know a few people in Crossrail and it’s not as open to do that but that’s probably because most of their network hasn’t opened yet. There are pros and cons to both but I’d like to say the uncertainty regarding SWR as an employee myself At operations level (unless you are a guard unfortunately) has always a Business as usual approach and although crossrail are a new company which are learning we are also learning so it’s pretty much equal.

The travel pass though, salary, closer to home living would obviously be positive benefits in your conundrum and definitely could sway your argument in that favour.

theironroad

Established Member
To be honest, I'm sure working on the gate line at Waterloo in the past 12 months has been a nightmare. The service has been diabolical overall and gate line are at the front taking the brunt from disgruntled Waterloo commuters either delayed getting to work or getting home.

Crossrail are a better performing TOC which overall probably means less passenger grief.

Travel wise, I think crossrail gets you a ptac pass which is great if you travel around London a lot. Swr get travel benefits too, though may not be as useful and no tube or bus discounts for new recruits.

Twotwo

The pay for SWR gateline isn't great i think its about £9.35 an hour. Plus regional allowance of £1998 a year. Crossrail is £11.94 an hour no regional allowance as you get the oyster. Sunday is outside the working week so if you do 4/10 sundays you can bump up your pay to about £24500. Both companies you get the PRIV pass. Crossrail as far as i know is a variety of shifts so 5am starts, 1.26 finish and middle shifts (no taxi provided btw) whereas gateline at Waterloo its static so a week of earlies 6.15-2.30 followed by RD's then a week of lates 2.15-10.30. Tbh i feel like with SWR there are more progression as you have meet and greet/Ro2/Ro2s/Lost property/Guard/Driver/Revenue. If you get Ro2 job your sorted as you get OT, RD, saturday and sunday pay which can bump up their pay to about 30k easily. Whereas with Crossrail even if you move on to platform its the same pay as CEA and also there's no enhancement working OT/Sat/Sun/RD etc. Also i don't think this is allowed but a lot of people working in TOC's link their priv to their oyster to get 75% off in the underground.

Twotwo

IMO you should do Crossrail for now as gateline is better with Crossrail then with SWR. Maybe after a while you can apply for RO2 or guard with SW if you really wanted to.

Kenrix

I guess I will be ringing SWR HR and will wait for 2 months for the MTR Crossrail as it will be worth it in the long run. Thank you guys

Twotwo

I guess I will be ringing SWR HR and will wait for 2 months for the MTR Crossrail as it will be worth it in the long run. Thank you guys

Gateline with crossrail will be better. Better pay. Great travel benefit for you and one nominee. Its still new maybe after a while the union may be able to negotiate OT/sat/sun pay but who knows. Get the experience and that will help you go for guard or ro2 if you think it's worth doing so...

Hello guys. This is my first post so please be patient with me :)

For the past few months I was unemployed and explored almost all the TOCs applying for any position I could. It is the typical railway job hunting which took the recruitment process a long time. Moving forward, I managed to get an offer from SWR for a Gateline assistant role and have done the medical, etc. And is due to start in 2 days time! But just a few days ago I received another offer from MTR Crossrail for a Customer Service Experience position and I still couldn't get over comparing both companies. Obviously the MTR is the way to go for me as they give a slightly higher pay and free travel which benefits me alot! Now the only downside is that with MTR, I will be starting in 15th October which leaves me with this never ending dilemma.

Now I've been getting some advice that MTR is a new company and people don't know how they work(yet) whereas SWR has been running for ages and there are some pros and cons but any toc will have one or two flaws and there will be a lot of opportunities down the line. Could someone please care to give some more advice on which path should I take? It will be very much appreciated!
You and your nominee get a free oyster card which is priceless.

Abdul

OMG!!!
Very similar situation, bit different. Please help. First time user, saw this and had to join. Forgive me for any short comings, and any abbreviations used please elaborate as I am a newbie.
Right in a nutshell, joined Virgin Trains Euston in July 18, CSA on board (apprentice), 13 month course. Got MTR CEA Crossrail position, same Canary Wharf 10mins away from home. MTR pay 5 hundred more compared to VT during apprenticeship, but after 13month completion of apprenticeship VT pay goes up 3k more compared to MTR plus qualification (consider I'm not the study sort, went for it to get foot into railway).
Now the tricky bit, VT West coast franchise up for bidding, could lose it next year July 19, positions may not be guaranteed although they are saying once we complete the apprentiship we will get permanent contract and if someone takes over they will have to honour existing contracts for 2 years then it's up to the new company. But VT may retain the contract...?
VT so far amazing company, great training, great facilities, working on board great, can chose earlies or lates, personally I've gone for lates, great on CV. But risky with apprenticeship, franchise etc.
MTR new company on the rise, close to home, Oyester, maybe progression, full time contract from beginning, secure, but less pay.
What do I doo?? Got 2 days to reply to MTR!!!

ThatGuy

OMG!!!
Very similar situation, bit different. Please help. First time user, saw this and had to join. Forgive me for any short comings, and any abbreviations used please elaborate as I am a newbie.
Right in a nutshell, joined Virgin Trains Euston in July 18, CSA on board (apprentice), 13 month course. Got MTR CEA Crossrail position, same Canary Wharf 10mins away from home. MTR pay 5 hundred more compared to VT during apprenticeship, but after 13month completion of apprenticeship VT pay goes up 3k more compared to MTR plus qualification (consider I'm not the study sort, went for it to get foot into railway).
Now the tricky bit, VT West coast franchise up for bidding, could lose it next year July 19, positions may not be guaranteed although they are saying once we complete the apprentiship we will get permanent contract and if someone takes over they will have to honour existing contracts for 2 years then it's up to the new company. But VT may retain the contract...?
VT so far amazing company, great training, great facilities, working on board great, can chose earlies or lates, personally I've gone for lates, great on CV. But risky with apprenticeship, franchise etc.
MTR new company on the rise, close to home, Oyester, maybe progression, full time contract from beginning, secure, but less pay.
What do I doo?? Got 2 days to reply to MTR!!!

My advice, choose MTR. Yes VT are already established and you seem to be enjoying your time there. You said you only joined the apprenticeship scheme to get your foot in the door. Now it’s in 2 doors lol. Think of it logically, you get an Oyster card zones 1-9 plus a priv card that allows you 75% off leisure trave (walk up fares only) or 75% off season tickets. Think of the 3k you’ll be earning with virgin and compare it to the £500 plus the hundreds (maybes more) you’ll be saving over the course of the year. This is only for work. Not to mention if you’re going it into London outside of work you don’t pay for travel on the TfL network. If you were travelling outside of London. You get 75% discount. So in my humble opinion, I think you should weigh up these factors an not only see what’s best for your current situation, but what would also be more beneficial in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.