• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Class 458 to be retained

Goldfish62

Established Member
If true about the reintroduction on the Windsor side I can’t wait to see how they spin this, the same trains you’ve had for the last 25 years, but with 2 less carriages! :rolleyes:
Given they're in the process of replacing 20 year 10 car trains with 40 year old 8 car trains on Reading services I doubt they'll be the least bit worried about any criticism.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bikeman78

Established Member
It seems obvious from this thread and others that SWR are shortly going to run out of available rolling stock which would potentially result in temporary service reductions or daily short-formed trains which passengers are unable to board. That would be untenable when it's public knowledge that they have refurbished trains ready to go.

Of course SWR will get flack about the continued failure of the 701s to enter service, but they've been getting flack on that subject for the past few years!
There are typically three or four single 455s out on random diagrams now. I travelled on the 1707 Hounslow loop on Friday. Four cars was fine for the number of passengers. I think it would have been a different story on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. Seems odd to be running pairs of 458s on the metro routes through Wimbledon. Wouldn't it be better to run single 458s and try to keep the 455s paired up?

It's not necessarily zero sum for SWR. If anyone asks the question about whether this is admitting to a further extended delay to the 701s, I'm sure their publicity machine could spin something about the 458/4s eventually allowing a more rapid withdrawal of the elderly 455s, rather than a slower introduction of 701s.
It won't allow the withdrawal of any 455s will it? The 455s were needed when all the five car 458s were in traffic.

fgwrich

Established Member
2+2 and tables might be useful for those who get a seat but perhaps not ideal for the busiest trains.
That's my concern.
Less seats surely means more standing space in the aisle.
Not really, no. The new seats are the same as the GA units and have armrests. So the aisles are about the same as a 444 now. It’s erm, an interesting refresh.

Mikey C

Established Member
Wasn't the point that there are fewer seats because 8 car trains are replacing 10 car trains, rather than because seats have been removed?

The 458s are being refurbished for Express service anyway, they don't have narrow 700/701 style seating.

TEW

Established Member
Wouldn't it be better to run single 458s and try to keep the 455s paired up?
Less crews sign 458s so you would have to be very careful splitting 458s up to use one to run on a 455 diagram as you may encounter crewing issues in the day.

Goldfish62

Established Member
There are only more seats in a 458/5 because there are more coaches. Fewer coaches doesn't translate into more standing space!

A 10 458/5 consist has 2+2 and 1+1 seating in each coach. An 8 car 455 consist has 2 +2 seating except for a small bay of transverse seating in the end coaches, so I don't where this extra standing room comes from.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
. An 8 car 455 consist has 2 +2 seating except for a small bay of transverse seating in the end coaches, so I don't where this extra standing room comes from.
I think you mean longitudinal, but the point is taken. Indeed, the reduction from 3+2 to 2+2 in the 455s made little difference to standing room (despite the extra need for it just to compensate for the reduced seating capoacity) as the gangways are not wide enough to stand 2 abreast and the new seats don't allow "perching" on the seat backs.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Less crews sign 458s so you would have to be very careful splitting 458s up to use one to run on a 455 diagram as you may encounter crewing issues in the day.
Interesting. Which depots sign 458s? There are typically three pairs out on the Wimbledon lines.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Interesting. Which depots sign 458s? There are typically three pairs out on the Wimbledon lines.
The traction and route guide in the job forum says for certain, but off the top of my head it’s most at Waterloo, all at Wimbledon, Farnham, Strawberry hill, Staines, possibly Feltham and probably Woking.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The traction and route guide in the job forum says for certain, but off the top of my head it’s most at Waterloo, all at Wimbledon, Farnham, Strawberry hill, Staines, possibly Feltham and probably Woking.
I'd be very surprised if Feltham wasn't included. It's on the primary route for the class and there are often 458s stabled there.

I think you mean longitudinal, but the point is taken. Indeed, the reduction from 3+2 to 2+2 in the 455s made little difference to standing room (despite the extra need for it just to compensate for the reduced seating capoacity) as the gangways are not wide enough to stand 2 abreast and the new seats don't allow "perching" on the seat backs.
Someone mentioned perches in the original 455 interiors earlier, which I don't recall despite my years of travelling on the things. I've looked up photos of the original interior and am still none the wiser!

Last edited:

Big Jumby 74

Someone mentioned perches in the original 455 interiors earlier,
As built, no perches in any variant, /7, /8 or /9. I am referring to the carriage seating plans in my copies of internal documents (as issued probably early 80's) which replaced what had been known as the 'Appendix to the Carriage Working Notices', this latter having died out round about then I seem to recall. These new versions only lasted a couple of years or so (AFAIR), after which the practice of producing such things must have been regarded as an unnecessary expense?

Edited: this shows the 455 (one variant) before they were actually introduced. A later edition shows all three variants in similar detail.

Attachments

• BJ-455 seating plan.jpg
    BJ-455 seating plan.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 125
Last edited:

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Mixed news if they do enter service in my opinion. Good as SWR are clearly desperately short of units, but it does imply there are more problems with the introduction of the 701's. And ultimately this is just SWR reintroducing the same rolling stock previously used on the line but with a lower capacity - not great really.
We already have proof there is a growing stock shortage. SWR are persisting in running their one single pair of 707s in service - a microfleet !. Ironically doing more than the shiny new 701s. So it is inevitable that the refurbished 458s will be pressed into service and it just depends when SWR give in to reality.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
As built, no perches in any variant, /7, /8 or /9.

Edited: this shows the 455 (one variant) before they were actually introduced. A later edition shows all three variants in similar detail.
As can be seen in the picture in the above post, whether by accident or design (and I suspect the latter) the ends of the seat backs were a suitable height and shape to be used as perches, and frequently were.
ozz_455int-3.jpg

Goldfish62

Established Member
As can be seen in the picture in the above post, whether by accident or design (and I suspect the latter) the ends of the seat backs were a suitable height and shape to be used as perches, and frequently were.
ozz_455int-3.jpg
Can't ever recall anyone doing that - if I were sat in an aisle seat I certainly wouldn't appreciate half of someone's cheek pressed against my arm.

Surely the small taper is to allow a bit more gangway room at waist level and nothing more than that.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Wasn't the point that there are fewer seats because 8 car trains are replacing 10 car trains, rather than because seats have been removed?

The 458s are being refurbished for Express service anyway, they don't have narrow 700/701 style seating.
Point taken. How many 10 car 458s are still running in service?

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Can't ever recall anyone doing that - if I were sat in an aisle seat I certainly wouldn't appreciate half of someone's cheek pressed against my arm.

Surely the small taper is to allow a bit more gangway room at waist level and nothing more than that.
I did, frequently. And saw many others doing it too. If you are seated in a crush-loaded train your head will be in close proximity to the standees' middle bits whether you like it or not.

Big Jumby 74

Can't comment on that either way, as when I commuted on them (peak time) there were too many bodies in standing mode to notice if anyone was perching their buttock(s) on a seat back. My version of a 'perch' was that which was added within the door entrance/exit area in later times.

abn444

There are typically three or four single 455s out on random diagrams now. I travelled on the 1707 Hounslow loop on Friday. Four cars was fine for the number of passengers. I think it would have been a different story on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. Seems odd to be running pairs of 458s on the metro routes through Wimbledon. Wouldn't it be better to run single 458s and try to keep the 455s paired up?
Isn't the reason that they're single 455s because double 455s can't work on certain routes, like Hounslow, because there's short platforms and 455s don't have SDO?

TEW

Established Member
Isn't the reason that they're single 455s because double 455s can't work on certain routes, like Hounslow, because there's short platforms and 455s don't have SDO?
8-455s can and do run the Hounslow Loop. It's Datchet in the down direction and Virginia Water in the up direction from Weybridge they cannot call at.

SEtrains

the paths for 4584?? Down south and 458501 up north. (Widnes to Wembley not showing and Eastleigh east yard to Widnes not showing)

The path from Widnes to Wembley today for what I am guessing will be 69009 and 458422 is now showing on RTT

5Q62 1255 Widnes Transport Tech to Wembley Receptions 1-7