• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Class 458 to be retained

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Difficult to keep up with this saga. Are 458/4s still planned to operate in passenger service from next month? And if so, is it known what services they will operate on?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
They are. It's basically been a carpet and seats job, toilets remain the same.
So the standard toilets haven't been touched since the units were new. The universal toilets had to be replaced after a few years because they were non-compliant, but also haven't been touched for around 20 years.

TEW

Established Member
Difficult to keep up with this saga. Are 458/4s still planned to operate in passenger service from next month? And if so, is it known what services they will operate on?
Not quite sure of the date yet, but should be introduced to passenger service fairly soon. They will be limited to Waterloo-Weybridge and Hounslow Loop services for now at least.

So the standard toilets haven't been touched since the units were new. The universal toilets had to be replaced after a few years because they were non-compliant, but also haven't been touched for around 20 years.
There is apparently funding to sort out the toilets. Probably just before they get withdrawn again.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
S follows S down the pan, perhaps! Sorry my friend, it's my below the belt sense of humour...:rolleyes:
Oh dear.... the standards on this forum are really going down the pan :wub:.

I'll get my coat.

Seriously though - I wonder how long a toilet should be expected to last ?.

Goldfish62

Established Member
It's not really a case of how long they last. Obviously parts will have been replaced as they wear out. With almost a quarter of a century's use they're looking very tired despite, to be fair, SWR doing a reasonable job keeping them clean.

Big Jumby 74

Oh dear.... the standards on this forum are really going down the pan :wub:.

I'll get my coat.

I do apologise. Slightly saddened by how things are turning out for the L&SWR, even though some (involved in the 701 project) are very, very good people, and devoted to the project, whom I worked with in previous such projects. I actually now despair of what is getting in the way of this whole 'plan', other than the very poor excuses being banded around by Politicians and Unions, they are as bad as each other, in their own ways, whatever anyone says.

How long should a toilet last - in a certain bespoke/train type depot near to Southampton, there was (still is?) a place on the shop floor where refurbished facilities were lined up ready to be re-installed, but on walking past them, there was still a certain wiff, if you get my meaning - one of those things one remembers. How sad is that, on my part...!

Paths are on RTT for this weeks transfers of, presumably, 458427 from Widnes and 458526 to Widnes by 69011. As per recent transfers, the onward path from Eastleigh has yet to be loaded.

Tuesday 28th May 2024
5Z53 0722 Leicester L.I.P. to Widnes Transport Tech (now cancelled due to a problem with the traction equipment)

5Q62 1311 Widnes Transport Tech to Wembley Receptions 1-7

Wednesday 29th May 2024
5X64 1127 Wembley Receptions 1-7 to Southampton Central

5Q64 1534 Southampton Central to Bournemouth T&R.S.M.D

5Z66 2018 Bournemouth T&R.S.M.D to Eastleigh East Yard

SEtrains

Paths are on RTT for this weeks transfers of, presumably, 458427 from Widnes and 458526 to Widnes by 69011. As per recent transfers, the onward path from Eastleigh has yet to be loaded.

Tuesday 28th May 2024
5Z53 0722 Leicester L.I.P. to Widnes Transport Tech (now cancelled due to a problem with the traction equipment)
69011 had a fault and will no longer be on the 458 drags for this week and 57303 will instead be covering for the drag.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Following earlier toilet comments, here is a typical 458 toilet which I used this morning. Clean enough, but worn and tired:

Attachments

• 20240528_073928.jpg
    20240528_073928.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 202
  • 20240528_073859.jpg
    20240528_073859.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 200

RealTrains07

Established Member
Looks as though the 458 interior photos have been removed?

What day are the 458/4s due to enter service?

Warrior2852

I just saw an externally refurbished (don't know about interior, it went fast, didn't catch the unit number either) 458 pass Winchester, being dragged by a 57. First refurbished one I've seen!

D1024

Today's (29th May) drag to Bournemouth with 57303 passing New Milton ahead of schedule.

(Photo shows GBRF Class 57 No. 57303 hauling a refurbished SWR Class 458 plus two Translator Coaches - converted Class 508 EMU driving trailers- through New Milton Station, Hampshire, en-route to Bournemouth depot)

Attachments

• 20240529_192215.jpg
    20240529_192215.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:

pompeyfan

Established Member
The latest thing I was told was that the 10th June had been mentioned with one 8 car set running on a mixture of the peak Hounslow rounders and Weybridge bay services. Obviously that could be subject to change etc etc, don’t shoot the messenger.

In other news the 458 drag appears to have failed in Poole sidings last night causing disruption to passenger services. Not sure on nature of the fault.

TEW

Established Member
10th June isn't happening now, but it should be relatively soon.

introduced at some point during the Summer, rather than in operation for just the Summer.
It's only a temporary placement, 12 months max agreement with the unions and Porterbrook. Regarding the unions this is some sort of compromise as they don't believe the cab environment is suitable anymore.
They are only needed until 701s take their place. I'd make an estimate they'd be on here until the December timetable change or a bit later, since "apparently" that's when it's planned for the 701s to take over all 458 diagrams (assuming they are classified in that umbrella and it's not just referring to the existing /5s)

LUYMun

Last edited:

Mordac

Established Member
We're told that one of the benefits of nationalisation is that there will be greater ability to move and cascade stock around the network, but if unions at individual depots all refuse to drive older trains than the ones they're currently driving that's going to put a damper on plans.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
We're told that one of the benefits of nationalisation is that there will be greater ability to move and cascade stock around the network, but if unions at individual depots all refuse to drive older trains than the ones they're currently driving that's going to put a damper on plans.
One would hope that the new trains would stay, for both the benefit of the drivers and the passengers - would be silly if for example the 701s were cascaded to southeastern

Last edited:

TEW

Established Member
+

(but)

Is this the same training as whatever was not happening on June 10th ?.
No, it's passenger service that is not happening on the the 10th. AFAIK driver training started a few weeks ago. That's not the issue.