• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Commercial Guard - Medical date set!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris1978

So I've got my Commercial Guard start date through for late January, I'm over the moon as I had hoped to start asap in the new year.

I have my pre-employment medical set for Tuesday this coming week, I'm not worried as to the best of my knowledge I'm in fairly good health for a 41 year old.
Just wondering though what does the medical consist of? Is it just a drugs/alcohol screening and standard checks like blood pressure?

Also silly question but how should I dress for this? Is it just really casual and I can be as relaxed as I want or should I go a bit more smart?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

traji00

IIRC, there’s a visual test (I believe it was the colour-blind test), blood pressure reading, a hearing test, and then you provide a pee sample.

There’s no proper dress code, but I’d recommend not too casual :)

Chris1978

IIRC, there’s a visual test (I believe it was the colour-blind test), blood pressure reading, a hearing test, and then you provide a pee sample.

There’s no proper dress code, but I’d recommend not too casual :)

Thank you, more or less what I expected.

Was thinking smart jumper and jeans, smart casual but like I've made a little effort but not too much, dont see the need to get all suited and booted or anything like that.

Roughly how long does it take? Just wondering if I'll have time for a stroll about London after before heading back.

traji00

In my experience it takes no longer than 45 min/1hr, so plenty of time to go around town :) good luck and congrats!

Liam00086

So I've got my Commercial Guard start date through for late January, I'm over the moon as I had hoped to start asap in the new year.

I have my pre-employment medical set for Tuesday this coming week, I'm not worried as to the best of my knowledge I'm in fairly good health for a 41 year old.
Just wondering though what does the medical consist of? Is it just a drugs/alcohol screening and standard checks like blood pressure?

Also silly question but how should I dress for this? Is it just really casual and I can be as relaxed as I want or should I go a bit more smart?
I would put a shirt and trousers on, it’s good to make a good impression.

Lewis5949

I was told to expect a start date in Jan/Feb too when I recieved the call last month that I passed (for non-commerical guard) so hopefully I can expect a similar call too!

MiNi

I was told to expect a start date in Jan/Feb too when I recieved the call last month that I passed (for non-commerical guard) so hopefully I can expect a similar call too!
If I remember Chris1978 is being based at fratton depot. What depot is yours ?.

Chris1978

Always worth giving them a call to chase things up if you dont hear, I waited 3 weeks after getting the call letting me know I'd passed the interview, they said a January start was likely, after the 3 weeks I called in and was told they were sorting the trainees into slots, the following week I got the call confirming my start date and a email with the official employment offer, the next day my medical was booked.

Stigy

Established Member
I’d go dressed smartly, but probably without a tie. I’m not sure where SWR conduct their Medicaid these days, but if it’s Southbank Central (their HQ), it’ll be full of people in suits and if nothing else, I’d feel out of place turning up in jeans. Plus, you’re certainly not going to be looked at in a negative light if you’re a little over dressed, but may be if you’re under dressed. First impressions and all that.

Chris1978

I’d go dressed smartly, but probably without a tie. I’m not sure where SWR conduct their Medicaid these days, but if it’s Southbank Central (their HQ), it’ll be full of people in suits and if nothing else, I’d feel out of place turning up in jeans. Plus, you’re certainly not going to be looked at in a negative light if you’re a little over dressed, but may be if you’re under dressed. First impressions and all that.

Thank you that's good advice, I'm thinking a nice shirt and smart trousers is the way to go, like you say first impressions are important and while at this stage if I was to turn up in a track suit it shouldn't effect my job offer I would hope but it may put a bit of a negative light on me at a very early stage.

MiNi

Thank you that's good advice, I'm thinking a nice shirt and smart trousers is the way to go, like you say first impressions are important and while at this stage if I was to turn up in a track suit it shouldn't effect my job offer I would hope but it may put a bit of a negative light on me at a very early stage.
Good luck with your medical. At least it's not too far from Waterloo. Enjoy your time up in the smoke.

Chumba

Personally I'd be dressed smartly, with or without a tie is personal preference, smart trousers/shirt or a suit. NO jeans, or the like. it may be "only a medical" but you never know who you may see there and first impressions do count !

Different company but when I did my NR medical I had a suit on and the lady doing it did comment with a smile it was nice to see that some people still have standards ! :lol:

JaMa9

I've always gone to medicals smart casual. Agree with others that impressions definitely count. My previous medical checks were hearing, eyes, usual blood pressure and urine test etc...took a few hours though!

Stigy

Established Member
Personally I'd be dressed smartly, with or without a tie is personal preference, smart trousers/shirt or a suit. NO jeans, or the like. it may be "only a medical" but you never know who you may see there and first impressions do count !

Different company but when I did my NR medical I had a suit on and the lady doing it did comment with a smile it was nice to see that some people still have standards ! :lol:
I went to mine in business attire and just took the tie off when I got there as others already there seemed to and it was quite warm. It was a bit fiddly with a shirt as I had to remove it for the ECG and then put it back on again. One could argue you need to be comfortable, but I just think all things like this are best done smartly. You’ll never be criticised for being over dressed.

Chris1978

I was thinking of the comfort factor and ease of removing clothing if required, that's why I asked the question about dress code really, but if it's a very executive/business type environment I dont want to stand out in a negative way or create a bad first impression so I'll go smart casual - shirt and smart trousers.

C001

I went in jeans and trainers .. it’s a outside company they send back your medical results .. not what you were wearing

Chris1978

So my medical showed that my blood pressure was very high. I believe this may have been due to anxiety/white coat syndrome about the medical exam so I'm due to have it re-tested on Monday with my GP.
What I'm wondering is how this effects my start date in January if at all? If my results come back normal Monday then no problem but if not obviously there is a issue that needs to be further investigated.
Obviously high BP can be easily managed with meds but as things stand my medical report states I'm fit for work but not for safety critical duties.

MiNi

So my medical showed that my blood pressure was very high. I believe this may have been due to anxiety/white coat syndrome about the medical exam so I'm due to have it re-tested on Monday with my GP.
What I'm wondering is how this effects my start date in January if at all? If my results come back normal Monday then no problem but if not obviously there is a issue that needs to be further investigated.
Obviously high BP can be easily managed with meds but as things stand my medical report states I'm fit for work but not for safety critical duties.
Obviously I'm no expert at BP but I would hope that a nice quiet weekend and a trip to your own GP on Monday would yield a good result.

Chris1978

Obviously I'm no expert at BP but I would hope that a nice quiet weekend and a trip to your own GP on Monday would yield a good result.

I'm hoping that will be the case. At the medical at Waterloo I did feel very anxious and the medical practioner said my pulse was accelerated indicating nerves. Foolishly I also had a strong flat white coffee right before I went in which probably didn't help.

My plan is to have a low key weekend staying alcohol free and keeping caffeine intake to a minimum, then hopefully the results at the Docs Monday will be better.

MiNi

I'm hoping that will be the case. At the medical at Waterloo I did feel very anxious and the medical practioner said my pulse was accelerated indicating nerves. Foolishly I also had a strong flat white coffee right before I went in which probably didn't help.

My plan is to have a low key weekend staying alcohol free and keeping caffeine intake to a minimum, then hopefully the results at the Docs Monday will be better.
We are all human Chris & we all get nervous in different ways. A good idea for a quiet weekend with no stress.

Chris1978

So went for a follow up BP test yesterday at my local GP surgery, it was just a self assessment test using their kit provided as the SWR medical assessors said that was acceptable.
My BP was certainly much lower than the results at my official medical but did still test borderline high being just inside the high BP box. Baring in mind these self use BP kits may not be the most reliable I have booked in to have it tested by a nurse on Monday and to have a follow up consultation with the nurse or doctor if required.

I am starting to worry that this could effect my commercial guard employment offer as they have said they will withhold on issuing my contract for now until there are further updates on this issue and I'm not sure but there may be a possibility my start date in January could be delayed depending on how quickly my GP can get this sorted for me or my BP tests at normal levels.

The general opinion seems to be that even if I have developed a high BP issue which is possible as while I have no history of high BP my last test prior to this was several years ago, that as long as the company can see that the issue is being managed and I declare any medication I have to take then it shouldn't effect my employment status.
Would that be a fair assessment?

Chris1978

So got the all clear from my GP with a follow up blood pressure test this morning and my Jan 20th start date has now been officially confirmed!

Chumba

So got the all clear from my GP with a follow up blood pressure test this morning and my Jan 20th start date has now been officially confirmed!

congratulations, have sent you pm if you can help?

MiNi

Excellent news Chris. I knew it would all be ok. You must be over the moon.

JLyons

usally hearing test, eye sight, colour blind, weight / height then a urine test and a few general questions takes about an hour

dress code wise it’s usually done by an independent third party so doesn’t make any odds so just personal preference really, in sure you’re not gonna turn up on a pair of Bermuda’s so no go dressed like you would any other doctors appointment

Stigy

Established Member
Congrats, I bet that’s a weight off the shoulders!

Chris1978

Thank you all, it is a huge relief as I was starting to get concerned that my start date would have to be delayed or worse still my job offer could be withdrawn.

Now I can give notice to my current employer and enjoy Christmas looking forward to starting my training in the new year.

Chris1978

Question: How quickly should I expect to receive my contract of employment? I got the impression it would be more or less immediately but 24 hours since the phone call confirming me fit for duty and I still haven't received it.

Stigy

Established Member
Question: How quickly should I expect to receive my contract of employment? I got the impression it would be more or less immediately but 24 hours since the phone call confirming me fit for duty and I still haven't received it.
They will usually be posted to you, so expect it in a few days I’d imagine. I’m not 100% how SWR do things these days, but assuming it’s the same across the FirstGroup, you should receive instructions to carry out your one-boarding’ process, which includes formally accepting the offer. This is all done via their recruitment portal.

Status
Not open for further replies.