• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Guard and a customer with Aspergers

Status
Not open for further replies.

theironroad

Established Member
A customer facing member of staff slateing a known passenger under their own name? I'd have put a fiver on them getting their P45 on that alone. It's not sensible and it shouldn't be done.

All I've seen and I'd imagine the majority of people on here is a report in a local newspaper from depicting one side of the story. The member of staff gets no public right of reply or defence.

Did you see the Facebook post, because it seems people on hear said it was a closed group or deleted.

So we don't know the whole story, not that stops people on here being judge, jury and executioner.

It seems we're unlikely to know any further details unless the dismissed employee decides to go to tribunal, I'm not sure even then if employment tribunals are open to the public.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEdge

Established Member
All I've seen and I'd imagine the majority of people on here is a report in a local newspaper from depicting one side of the story. The member of staff gets no public right of reply or defence.

Did you see the Facebook post, because it seems people on hear said it was a closed group or deleted.

I did see the post, so I did see the other side. Sadly this is exactly the outcome I expected when it all blew up.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Not surprised to hear the guard has been allegedly dismissed.

It's not clear what his employment or disciplinary history is like. I'd wager if he was a perfect employee and he lost it this one time, he would have received a final written warning rather than being dismissed.

However, I have no specific knowledge of SWR's policies in this regard.

route:oxford

Established Member
Abuse of social media policy led to one of my (former) colleagues being sacked for being less than complimentary about a manager on Facebook .
(This is in the Civil Service).
So it does happen, how often it happens I dont know

A colleague was facing disciplinary action after his wife's robust and uncomplimentary content about his manager on social media.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Really.....this Guard was “known” to management and it isn’t the first complaint they received about him....

Yep, from what my own manager has told me the staff member involved was receiving complaints on a weekly basis.

They'd also been previously dismissed from another role in the railway - doing jobs they weren't trained nor meant to be doing and failing to complete the actual job they were employed for, with social media misuse being the reason for dismissal in the end at the other TOC.

Bromley boy

Established Member
Yep, from what my own manager has told me the staff member involved was receiving complaints on a weekly basis.

They'd also been previously dismissed from another role in the railway - doing jobs they weren't trained nor meant to be doing and failing to complete the actual job they were employed for, with social media misuse being the reason for dismissal in the end at the other TOC.

I suggest this hearsay about the dismissed guard’s prior conduct isn't relevant to the topic of this thread.

If that’s something your manager told you, is it appropriate to share it on here? Have a think about your own observance of your employer’s social media policy.

The issues were debated extensively earlier in the thread and we now know the result

I reckon this thread has run its course.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The result is now seemingly known and the events have been covered to death in previous discussion. Therefore this thread is now locked.

However, if someone has something to add which hasn't been covered previously or there is some further development regarding this incident please feel free to report this post and the Forum Staff will look at reopening it.

Many thanks,
ainsworth74

Status
Not open for further replies.