• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Guard Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Love life

Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice as to what type of questions are asked in the guard interview. I'm struggling most with a question that may pop up like tell me about a time when you solved a problem.
Ive solved many, but unsure which examples I would use depending on the context of the question.

Does anyone know the usual type of questions, I am an internal applicant so unsure if they will ask a 'tell me about yourself question.

Thank you in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DunfordBridge

Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice as to what type of questions are asked in the guard interview. I'm struggling most with a question that may pop up like tell me about a time when you solved a problem.
Ive solved many, but unsure which examples I would use depending on the context of the question.

Does anyone know the usual type of questions, I am an internal applicant so unsure if they will ask a 'tell me about yourself question.

Thank you in advance!

I think there will be some variation depending on if you are an internal. I am still serving my six month ban from my failed guards' interview. I cannot remember any problem solving questions as such but I know the question on customer service had a bit of a twist to it. Expect to have to deal with conflict management. Research the role and the routes. See how much common ground there is with your present role and turn up looking smart.

How soon is the interview?

Leuvenn

On Moderation
The questions will range from your current experiences to a varied amount of scenarios based questions. Think: "What would you do if a wheelchair bound person entered during a busy service?" or "How would you deal with a loud customer?"

This is a safety critical as well as customer service role and so demonstrating your knowledge of both is very important.

My main advice is to familiarise yourself with rolling stock and talk to the guards on your way to Southampton, as many as you can within reason

Love life

The questions will range from your current experiences to a varied amount of scenarios based questions. Think: "What would you do if a wheelchair bound person entered during a busy service?" or "How would you deal with a loud customer?"

This is a safety critical as well as customer service role and so demonstrating your knowledge of both is very important.

My main advice is to familiarise yourself with rolling stock and talk to the guards on your way to Southampton, as many as you can within reason
Thank you. Interview was cancelled as they put hold on the guards jobs while they sort out the RMT issues

WombleGuard

Thank you. Interview was cancelled as they put hold on the guards jobs while they sort out the RMT issues
That may have been because some or all of the team were working as 'contingency guards or platform staff' and not in their normal role.

Leuvenn

On Moderation
They tend to delay these interviews for quite a while. Anyone who got offered the job in 2019 only started in 2022 and had to re-interview.
Prepare for a wait

WombleGuard

They tend to delay these interviews for quite a while. Anyone who got offered the job in 2019 only started in 2022 and had to re-interview.
Prepare for a wait
Not true for all. Depended on depot. I was offered in December 2019 and started March 2020

WombleGuard

Really? So the December strikes didn't delay anything?
Nope. I applied November 2019 and started March 2020. The week after lockdown #1. Start date was honoured and I sat at home for two weeks as they planned zoom lessons etc.

Love life

Prepare for a wait
It is what it is, I'm fortunate enough to have a job on the railway but I want to progress from said job lol

Status
Not open for further replies.