• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Metro fleet permanent withdrawals

Is there any update on 458533 please which has variously been described as awaiting wheelsets/off-lease. Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The other 458's that are off lease, are these in working order? If so why have they been allowed to go off lease?
8534 is off lease. It isn’t a retained unit and is out of overhaul miles. It needs a full C4 bogie and wheelset overhaul.

8507/17 are off lease and are in the conversion process to 458/4.

Everything else is on lease.

Goldfish62

Established Member
8534 is off lease. It isn’t a retained unit and is out of overhaul miles. It needs a full C4 bogie and wheelset overhaul.

8507/17 are off lease and are in the conversion process to 458/4.

Everything else is on lease.
As an aside there's been a resurgence of 458s on Reading line services this week with three all-day Mon-Fri diagrams being introduced.

Elorith

I'm personally baffled by the decision to use Desiros on the peak hours Hounslow rounder services when there are known time issues associated with that stock, while there are 455s on Windsors.

Last edited:

D7672

On Moderation
64737 of 456003 and the last one to go is now in the processing area to be scrapped in coming days.
Viewed 6th September 2022

Big Jumby 74

The Hounslow rounder diagrams interwork with the Weybridge (bay) services, the latter being barred to 8-455 formations as these units are not fitted with ASDO.

D7672

On Moderation
What were the 4 class 455s from Wimbledon by road please,I've lost the information and only seen 2 out the 4 sets at sims
Many thanks

swr444

I'm personally baffled by the decision to use Desiros on the peak hours Hounslow rounder services when there are known time issues associated with that stock, while there are 455s on Windsors.
You can keep them on time if you have a good driver and guard working together on them. Also there’s the ongoing power issue on the UP line between Hounslow and Kew bridge, meaning they have to driven in power reduction mode, which makes you lose around 2 mins by the time you’re at Chiswick.

Also what makes the Windsor service so special to get 450s when passengers on the new line have had 455s since their introduction

bramling

Veteran Member
Not completely. The LT Museum Depot has a handful of cars. Or are they A60 and C77?

All the latter. I’ve no idea of the authenticity of this, however I recall it being said at the time that LU wouldn’t sell C69 stock because of asbestos issues. One or two C77 cars went to schools in the London area.

The_Train

Established Member
I seem to have missed a number of the 456's making their way to scrap. Can anyone assist with when the following units were moved to Sims (approx) please:

456004 / 006 / 008 / 009 / 011 / 013 / 015 / 016 / 020 / 021 / 023

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
This is cosy... a short form with 455 715 solo on the 12.19 from Epsom to Waterloo right now.

More standing than seated and we're only just past Stoneleigh!!!

Edited to add: There's a second solo one out as well; not good if they are running short forms even with the present decimated timetable.

Preferable to a cancellation, of course, but it does show the effects of the withdrawals so far.

Last edited:

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
This is cosy... a short form with 455 715 solo on the 12.19 from Epsom to Waterloo right now.

Edited to add: There's a second solo one out as well; not good if they are running short forms even with the present decimated timetable.

Preferable to a cancellation, of course, but it does show the effects of the withdrawals so far.
when i went past Wimbledon yesterday at 12ish there were plenty of units stabled so unless there stopped awaiting attention doesn't look like they should be short of stock for a Saturday service

Goldfish62

Established Member
All the latter. I’ve no idea of the authenticity of this, however I recall it being said at the time that LU wouldn’t sell C69 stock because of asbestos issues. One or two C77 cars went to schools in the London area.
Rings a bell!

An 8 car failed at start time on the depot neck and screwed things up probably causing another 8 car to be split.

Blenkiron

455858 that I was on yesterday on Kingston loop also short formed (have never seen this service with one unit, even off-peak).

5918 has been shunted onto 15 road in preparation for splitting in the bogie drop and pushing each coach to the end for loading onto road trailers.