• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Metro Guard assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

SWR have finally resumed traincrew assessments. I have an assessment day shortly for the role of Metro Guard (née Non-revenue Guard).

I'd be very thankful for any guidance as to what to expect on the day, and how I might prepare.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hi, you should have been sent some training material. Ive only done the assesment day once and passed, it was 2 years ago but from what I can remember it went a bit like this. Maybe not in this order. I dont know the abbreviations for the tests, sorry.

Colour blindness test
Done on your own in an office.

Everyone will be in a lounge area
You will all be taken to a classroom for the tests then taken back to the lounge while waiting for the results of each test. If your name is called out at this time you have failed the last test and you go home. I believe at this point they tell you where you went wrong and let you know when you can next apply for another role

Tests are

Picking shapes out of lines of shapes as quickly and accurately as you can. It's a concentration v monotonous task type test

Maths Test, speaks for itself, I think it was multiple choice

Situation and rules awareness test. You are given set of rules and some scenarios based on them. There is then questions on how you would deal with them, multiple choice and you put them in order or relevance when applying the rules.

Last one I can remember is

You are read a message that you have to relay onwards. It's quite long and you write down the relevant parts. These are then checked by the assessors and then you have a chance to streamline it before reading it back to them.

Pretty sure that was it but as I said it was a while ago.

Successful Metro Guards then go to another classroom to sort out interview dates. Commercial guards do ticket selling and checking tests then if successful do the same.

Hope this is of some help to you and good luck

Commercial Guard applicants then

MiNi

Hi, you should have been sent some training material. Ive only done the assesment day once and passed, it was 2 years ago but from what I can remember it went a bit like this. Maybe not in this order. I dont know the abbreviations for the tests, sorry.

Colour blindness test

You will all be taken to a classroom for the tests then taken back to the lounge while waiting for the results of each test. If your name is called out at this time you have failed the last test and you go home. I believe at this point they tell you where you went wrong and let you know when you can next apply for another role

Tests are

Picking shapes out of lines of shapes as quickly and accurately as you can. It's a concentration v monotonous task type test

Situation and rules awareness test. You are given set of rules and some scenarios based on them. There is then questions on how you would deal with them, multiple choice and you put them in order or relevance when applying the rules.

You are read a message that you have to relay onwards. It's quite long and you write down the relevant parts. These are then checked by the assessors and then you have a chance to streamline it before reading it back to them.

Successful Metro Guards then go to another classroom to sort out interview dates. Commercial guards do ticket selling and checking tests then if successful do the same.

I agree. Vision,scaat,raaat,maths,customer service,rvce. For commercial guards tsct.

Colour blindness test

Tests are

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. :)

I've been practicing the bits that they mentioned in the email, and we'll just have to see how it goes.

Last edited:

MiNi

Thanks very much, both of you, for

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. :)

I've been practicing the bits that they mentioned in the email, and we'll just have to see how it goes.
let us know how you get on. When I did my assessment day i really enjoyed the whole process and was only 1 of 3 people left at the end of the day from 16 people that started the day that morning. Like fratton guard said you are all in a room together and after every test the door will open and you hope that your name will not be called!!!.

let us know how you get on. When I did my assessment day i really enjoyed the whole process and was only 1 of 3 people left at the end of the day from 16 people that started the day that morning. Like fratton guard said you are all in a room together and after every test the door will open and you hope that your name will not be called!!!.
I passed the assessments! Got an interview next week.

Zeo

Congratulations on passing the assessment.

I hope I'm not being too cheeky by jumping on to this thread but I too have a SWR Conductor Assessment in just under 2 weeks for the Island Line. I was wondering if you could give me a bit more detail on what the tests are and questions you were asked. I want to prepare but I'm not sure where to start.

I know the Island Line quiet well and I'm customer focused as I come from IT Support.

Thank you in advance and good luck in the interview.

Congratulations on passing the assessment.

I hope I'm not being too cheeky by jumping on to this thread but I too have a SWR Conductor Assessment in just under 2 weeks for the Island Line. I was wondering if you could give me a bit more detail on what the tests are and questions you were asked. I want to prepare but I'm not sure where to start.

I know the Island Line quiet well and I'm customer focused as I come from IT Support.

Thank you in advance and good luck in the interview.
There were eight or nine applicants in a waiting room, applying for various crew bases. A lot of internal candidates. The vibes were good.

We all got called individually to the assessment room, to show identity documents and do a short colour vision test.

Then we all went in for the first two assessments: Firstly the SCAAT (concentration and attention) test - https://www.theopc.co.uk/practicetests/info/safe-concentration-and-attention-test-scaat-practice/ ; secondly the RAAT (rules acquisition) test - https://www.theopc.co.uk/assessment/test/raat/

A twenty minute break followed; I got a cup of tea across the road. When we returned, those who failed in the first two assessments were sent home. Just one person left from my group.

Then we came back in for a third assessment: We heard a report from a driver of a collision twice, during which we took notes. We then went back to the waiting room, and one by one went in to relay that information concisely to the examiner. We were able to refer to our notes.

Right after that, those applying for non-commercial guard, like me, were given the outcome and were done for the day. Those applying for commercial guard got another break before taking a ticket checking test.

So that's how it went for me. I'll reply again with some tips when I have a moment.

One tip from me that helped me a lot.

On the SCAAT, draw the first symbol at the top of the page when you start, and the first from the second line as well when you get there. Also, theres paper on the table. Block out the lower lines till you get there

May I also ask for any interview advice?

I know the exact questions will vary, but I like to go in prepared, so a rough idea of what I'll be asked would be very helpful.

Also I gather they like you to have some knowledge about the TOC at the ready; is there any particular area of knowledge that's likely to impress?

MiNi

A brief history of the TOC,when it was formed,previous names. Area(s) it serves,especially the routes that your depot work. Current MD of the company may come up.
Questions:; name examples of when you have worked alone
Name examples of when you have worked in a team
How you have dealt with conflict
What would you do if .....

Status
Not open for further replies.