• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR - Metro Guard - Wimbledon & Woking (29/01/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flange Squeal

Established Member
nice does anyone know if how long the night shifts are ??
Between 8hr15 and 9hr15 on the current 'long term planning' diagrams, but rosters and diagrams change every six months (and more frequently over the last couple of years with the various Covid-related service revisions), so these shift lengths will likely vary over time as dictated by future service requirements. Current night turns at Waterloo start between 2030 and 2300, finishing between 0515 and 0715.

DunfordBridge

Between 8hr15 and 9hr15 on the current 'long term planning' diagrams, but rosters and diagrams change every six months (and more frequently over the last couple of years with the various Covid-related service revisions), so these shift lengths will likely vary over time as dictated by future service requirements. Current night turns at Waterloo start between 2030 and 2300, finishing between 0515 and 0715.

Sounds interesting! So for anyone working as Waterloo guard, what kinds of services would you expect to work on an night turn getting on towards the end of the shift, say between 2am and 4am and would the link have any bearing on the services worked on the night turn? Also, which other SWR depots have similar night shifts to Waterloo?

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Sounds interesting! So for anyone working as Waterloo guard, what kinds of services would you expect to work on an night turn getting on towards the end of the shift, say between 2am and 4am and would the link have any bearing on the services worked on the night turn? Also, which other SWR depots have similar night shifts to Waterloo?
Generally the (or one of the) last train(s) somewhere, break, then one of the first trains back up in the morning. Depending on whether you have the earlier evening start to earlier morning finishes, or the later evening start to slightly later morning finishes, you'll also do some other trains either before setting off on the late night trip or after you get back to London in the morning. Can't remember off the top of my head what the current content is, but one example from the past used to consist of a late night Epsom/Guildford, break there in early hours, 04:xx stopper back up to Waterloo, then 05:xx Shepperton and back. Guildford has been a typical place Waterloo night turns go, but I think they might do Reading overnight now too. Initially it sounds odd given there is a depot in Guildford, but overnight engineering works can mean that first up train sometimes requires diversion - having a Waterloo crew means as well as the option of Cobham or Epsom diversions if the main line through Woking shut, which a Guildford guard could also do, having Waterloo with their more extensive knowledge means it can also go via East Putney or even the Byfleet Curve/Staines if required.

I'm unsure how things have changed with Covid, but Basingstoke and Salisbury have also had night turns (although the latter may have switched to Yeovil since that opened). Basingstoke's is/was something like stopper to London, 01:05 to Southampton, couple of hours there, then 04:xx as far Basingstoke. Salisbury's I think did/does involve the last one down to Exeter, stock shunted into New Yard, then back out for the first train up in the morning.

DunfordBridge

Generally the (or one of the) last train(s) somewhere, break, then one of the first trains back up in the morning. Depending on whether you have the earlier evening start to earlier morning finishes, or the later evening start to slightly later morning finishes, you'll also do some other trains either before setting off on the late night trip or after you get back to London in the morning. Can't remember off the top of my head what the current content is, but one example from the past used to consist of a late night Epsom/Guildford, break there in early hours, 04:xx stopper back up to Waterloo, then 05:xx Shepperton and back. Guildford has been a typical place Waterloo night turns go, but I think they might do Reading overnight now too. I'm unsure how things have changed with Covid, but Basingstoke and Salisbury have also had night turns (although the latter may have switched to Yeovil since that opened). Basingstoke's is/was something like stopper to London, 01:05 to Southampton, couple of hours there, then 04:xx as far Basingstoke. Salisbury's I think did/does involve the last one down to Exeter, stock shunted into New Yard, then back out for the first train up in the morning.

Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like a clever way of utilising man power. Saves a Guildford guard or a Southampton guard having to get up at 1:30am if someone is already half way through their shift although I was thinking that there are no guards based at Southampton. Does make sense about Waterloo crews when you say that Guildford crews do not sign East Putney, etc.

Last edited:

Favalessa

I have applied for Woking and after having an email confirming that I passed the first online assessment I was invited for another assessment on the 17th down in Southampton and I can’t wait! I was advised to go through SCAAT, RAAT, RVCE and Colour Vision tests for the day. I’ve bought OPC Question booklet for SCAAT and read about RVCE on another topic. Any help with RAAT or advices in general would be very very welcome. Thank you! :D

Favalessa

Hey all! Just updating my last post:
12 people on the assessment day, 4 failed SCAAT/RAAT and 1 failed RVCE. The rest of us were given interview dates for March. Happy days.

bill55bill

Hi
I have an assessment day next week in Southampton too, are you expected to be suited and booted?
Thanks.

Favalessa

Amazing coincidence, so was I. Have you requested feedback? A few more negatives than positives in my case?
I have requested feedback and they’ve called me after 10 minutes. I had more positives feedbacks and 2 negatives involving not being very sympathetic when asked to deal with a situation and giving a more customer related answer when asked about team work.

I guess that’s not all bad, I’ll work to improve those points and hopefully try again after 6 months.

Hi
I have an assessment day next week in Southampton too, are you expected to be suited and booted?
Thanks.
I guess if you look smart casual it should be cool. Just put something that makes you feel comfortable so it will be one less thing for you so feel nervous about. I had a black jumper with a shirt and tie underneath and so did one of the interviewers. The other interviewer was dressed more casual.

Last edited:

bill55bill

I have requested feedback and they’ve called me after 10 minutes. I had more positives feedbacks and 2 negatives involving not being very sympathetic when asked to deal with a situation and giving a more customer related answer when asked about team work.

I guess that’s not all bad, I’ll work to improve those points and hopefully try again after 6 months.

I guess if you look smart casual it should be cool. Just put something that makes you feel comfortable so it will be one less thing for you so feel nervous about. I had a black jumper with a shirt and tie underneath and so did one of the interviewers. The other interviewer was dressed more casual.
Many thanks.

Good luck when you re apply!

DunfordBridge

Sounds like you could crack it next time. Are you from a customer services background at the moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.