• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR PA Announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Western Sunset

Established Member
Was at Poole station this morning, and as a train was terminating, the PA address over the platform was something along the lines of "this train is now completing its journey". Haven't heard that before.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greaterwest

Established Member
The SWR PA system has some non-standard wording including the announcement you heard, "This train finishes its journey here" is the exact wording. It would have been simpler for them to use the standard "this train terminates here" wording IMO but there we are.

JaJaWa

Established Member
Southeastern high speed says something like “The next station is St Pancras International, where our journey together ends.”

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Southeastern high speed says something like “The next station is St Pancras International, where our journey together ends.”
It just says “where our journey ends”, it doesn’t add together. That would sound ridiculous…

dorsetdesiro

Sounds bit intimate with a personal touch, something the likes of Virgin of old likely would say! Do the other big intercity operators like LNER & Eurostar say anything like this?

Re the SWR PA, it hasn't been the same with the new system which all directions would be announced no matter which platform you're waiting on which is bit tedious.

With the old system, the destination would be announced for that direction only that I can choose to ignore Phil announcing on the opposite platform for the train arriving in the other direction.

Now I would hear Anne about to begin, I'm expecting my train's about to arrive but she would then announce the train for the opposite platform!

Route115?

The trouble with SWR automated on train announcements is (or was) the lack of a gap between sentences. I don't know if that could be corrected by a software change.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Sounds bit intimate with a personal touch, something the likes of Virgin of old likely would say! Do the other big intercity operators like LNER & Eurostar say anything like this?

Re the SWR PA, it hasn't been the same with the new system which all directions would be announced no matter which platform you're waiting on which is bit tedious.

With the old system, the destination would be announced for that direction only that I can choose to ignore Phil announcing on the opposite platform for the train arriving in the other direction.

Now I would hear Anne about to begin, I'm expecting my train's about to arrive but she would then announce the train for the opposite platform!
LNER says “Where we finish our journey today.”

dorsetdesiro

The trouble with SWR automated on train announcements is (or was) the lack of a gap between sentences. I don't know if that could be corrected by a software change.

Yes, Anne sounds unnatural whereas she is more normal & less robotic at Greater Anglia. ATOS should change the software to sound more natural like the previous system.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Yes, Anne sounds unnatural whereas she is more normal & less robotic at Greater Anglia. ATOS should change the software to sound more natural like the previous system.
Anne is at no Greater Anglia operated stations as of 2020, and just before she was replaced she was rolled out as a modified version that sounded absolutely awful, the way she says “Greater Anglia service TO. Colchester.” even today at Liverpool Street sounds odd.

Amy does sound like a robot, but because she is one.

londonmidland

Established Member
SWR completely bodged their announcements up, by using over simplified, non-standard scripts.

The default ATOS wording would have been a whole lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.