• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR report for prosecution - Wrong Address

vnmzx

Hi,

I have just received a report for prosecution while travelling from Surbiton
and the issue reason is overtravelled from Surbiton.
And there they have recorded the WRONG ADDRESS

The representative of SWR said that I don’t need to pay the fines but need to contact them after I got the letter.

First of all How can I contact them just to change my address?

What should I do now?
any suggestions please

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
@vnmzx. Welcome to the forum. Can you upload a pic/photo of whatever paperwork you've already received / been handed? Please be sure to cover up your name / address and any identifying case reference number.

furlong

Established Member
Please would you fill in the gaps? Why did you overtravel? Why did they record the wrong address?

vnmzx

@furlong
I just traveled from Surbiton and there I tap my oyster card but my oyster card doesn’t work as the balance was not sufficient
Then the staff there in surbiton let me in as he saw me in hurry and panic

And then after, when I approach in Walton I realise there I need rail ticket, which I don’t have and then I bought the ticket from esher to Walton
And there the SWR representative found me buying the ticket just before and report for prosecution

ikcdab

So you gave them the correct address but he recorded it wrongly?
How wrong is it? Completely different or just a slight misspelling?

furlong

Established Member
When you were let in at Surbiton, what was said by either of you about paying for the journey or buying a ticket?

Puffing Devil

Established Member
They will find you, though most likely after it has been to court and the bailiffs start looking.

Better to get in contact now and say that the address on the report is wrong and give them your correct address.

furlong

Established Member
Do you know the people who live at that house number so you can ask them to pass on a letter if gets sent there? (Even after you tell them the right address, this can still happen.)

vnmzx

When you were let in at Surbiton, what was said by either of you about paying for the journey or buying a ticket?
@furlong
Non of us said nothing
He just let me in

Do you know the people who live at that house number so you can ask them to pass on a letter if gets sent there? (Even after you tell them the right address, this can still happen.)
No,I don’t know them! :(

furlong

Established Member
OK, so then you have only implicit permission to travel. From what you describe it is hard to argue that that amounted to permission to travel free of charge - more likely you might argue that it amounted to permission to commence your journey ticketless and pay your fare later.

vnmzx

They will find you, though most likely after it has been to court and the bailiffs start looking.

Better to get in contact now and say that the address on the report is wrong and give them your correct address.
How can I contact them?
I sent them mail already.
I even call them twice but they didn’t receive it.

furlong

Established Member
To keep things simple - I would suggest there is evidence of a criminal offence here, because you only bought a ticket from Esher instead of from Surbiton. Had you bought the ticket from Surbiton I think you'd have been in a much stronger position, even buying the ticket as late as you did.

As things are, I think you'll need to apologise for not paying the complete fare and offer to pay it retrospectively together with a contribution towards their costs. Seek an out-of-court settlement in other words.
Someone here will pull up the right contact details for you.

vnmzx

OK, so then you have only implicit permission to travel. From what you describe it is hard to argue that that amounted to permission to travel free of charge - more likely you might argue that it amounted to permission to commence your journey ticketless and pay your fare later.

thanks anyway

To keep things simple - I would suggest there is evidence of a criminal offence here, because you only bought a ticket from Esher instead of from Surbiton. Had you bought the ticket from Surbiton I think you'd have been in a much stronger position, even buying the ticket as late as you did.

As things are, I think you'll need to apologise for not paying the complete fare and offer to pay it retrospectively together with a contribution towards their costs. Seek an out-of-court settlement in other words.
Someone here will pull up the right contact details for you.
Thanks,
But the main problem is how can I get the address change?

furlong

Established Member
And make it simple - send them the whole thing at once. Refence number, apology, correct address, offer to pay the fare and costs in settlement. Keep it short and to the point and you should get a pretty quick response.

Expect them to look up any other tickets you've bought and if they see the same thing, they'll probably ask for those old fares to be paid too.