• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR service from Wimbledon LUL Platform 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meglos

This morning I had to go into London early for business purposes. Often on a Sunday I will drive in, but occasionally I will take the 06:12 (2D06) from Wimbledon to Waterloo. This is always good for for a 'rare' passenger journey via East Putney and Point Pleasant Junction.

This service normally starts at Platform 5 (ECS arrival from Wimbledon Park Depot). However this morning I was treated to a departure from the London Underground platform 4. I see that according the RTT the 06:42 (2D08) also operatated from Platform 4.

Can anyone advise how rare this is? I can see it booked in RTT for Sunday 14/02, but not for any other future dates up to July.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class800

Established Member
Looking at the RTT data, this service appears to run up the District line rather than the SW Mainline initially. Is this the only train that does so, and if so, why?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It’s appeared in a couple of previous discussions, and IIRC people have surmised that it’s a fairly common variation to use P4 to allow for inspections or patrolling on the up slow, it comes round every so many months, but they often don’t need to use it on the day.

Looking at the RTT data, this service appears to run up the District line rather than the SW Mainline initially. Is this the only train that does so, and if so, why?

In the normal non-Covid timetable there are a few services per day run via East Putney in passenger service for route retention, but there are around 20 services per day in total, the vast majority are ECS.

Veteran Member
Engineering works (which overran as well!) so 5 not available?

(I now know that Wimbledon LUL is a separate location on RTT!)

pompeyfan

Established Member
Yep wasn’t a good morning on the Wessex with 4 overruns, Havant - Haslemere was a 30 minute overrun and Basingstoke was an hour and 15

Flange Squeal

Established Member
In addition to a number of services being booked that way anyway as a matter of course for route retention purposes for diversions (and running via East Putney being a handy way for empties to get into Wimbledon from Waterloo without needing to clog up the up and down fast lines crossing over), anything leaving from platforms 1-4 at Wimbledon has to go up the District line as there is no crossover onto the mainline from them. The District-to-mainline (and vice versa) link points the other way, allowing trains to access the mainline Wimbledon platforms to/from the District line.

Meglos

At the moment the only SWR passenger services booked to run via East Putney are the
2L10 - 1st Basingstoke to Waterloo each morning (Monday-Saturday)
2D06 / 2D08 - 1st 2 Wimbledon to Waterloo on Sunday mornings.
There used to be a departure from Waterloo to Surbiton (last service of the day), but this hasn't run in recent months.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Sunday morning 2D06 & 2D08 TO RUN AS 4 CARS from Platform 4 is also booked 22 Aug and 17 Oct in the current Wessex Engineering Access Statement (EAS)

Meglos

It's a useful way of getting stock from Wimbledon Park onto the Windsor lines at Waterloo without having to cross the fast lines between Clapham Junction and Waterloo. However using this route does block both the down lines between Putney and Wandsworth Town. Hence why it's only run on the first trains.

OliverH68

At the moment the only SWR passenger services booked to run via East Putney are the
2L10 - 1st Basingstoke to Waterloo each morning (Monday-Saturday)
2D06 / 2D08 - 1st 2 Wimbledon to Waterloo on Sunday mornings.
There used to be a departure from Waterloo to Surbiton (last service of the day), but this hasn't run in recent months.
There's also 2L77 2312 Waterloo - Basingstoke on Saturdays only, and 1B01 0105 Waterloo - Southampton on Sunday mornings which both run via East Putney.

fgwrich

Established Member
There's also 2L77 2312 Waterloo - Basingstoke on Saturdays only, and 1B01 0105 Waterloo - Southampton on Sunday mornings which both run via East Putney.
That 01:05 Certainly can provide it's own magical mystery tour - I think my favourite so far has to have been Waterloo to Clapham, Up to East Putney and down to Wimbledon, then off at Raynes Park and down to Epsom, then on Guildford via Leatherhead - reverse at Guildford - back up to Woking - reverse then Up Slow down to Basingstoke where it terminated with a replacement bus onwards. I happened to be doing that journey in a summer's evening and walked home that morning during the sunrise.

Goldfish62

Established Member
One weekend in the late 1980s the bridge over the Thames was closed for maintenence and BR(NSE) operated the District line service between East Putney and Wimbledon using 455s. I reckon this could have been the last time that East Putney, Southfields and Wimbledon Park were serviced by BR and successors.

Deepgreen

Established Member
I recall a couple of occasions where a problem at Earlsfield meant we were diverted via East Putney in the morning peak. One was in the days when the rear cab of a class 508 formation was unofficially available for passenger use, so I enjoyed a 'reverse route-learn' from it!

Goldfish62

Established Member
I recall a couple of occasions where a problem at Earlsfield meant we were diverted via East Putney in the morning peak. One was in the days when the rear cab of a class 508 formation was unofficially available for passenger use, so I enjoyed a 'reverse route-learn' from it!
Yes, I've been on a train several times via the line fairly recently when Windsor lines services have had unscheduled diversions, but nothing where intermediate stations have been served since the occasion I described an overall performance

AY1975

Established Member
One weekend in the late 1980s the bridge over the Thames was closed for maintenence and BR(NSE) operated the District line service between East Putney and Wimbledon using 455s. I reckon this could have been the last time that East Putney, Southfields and Wimbledon Park were serviced by BR and successors.
Quite possibly, except that during an open day at Wimbledon depot in about 1991 BR ran a special shuttle service between Wimbledon Park and Clapham Junction via East Putney using the preserved 4-SUB and a CEP or BEP. They were non-stop and didn't call at Southfields or East Putney, though.

Also in about 1991 a boat hit the bridge over the Thames between Putney Bridge and East Putney. The District Line between those two stations was then closed for about a week, but luckily London Underground had some D78 Stock trains marooned on the East Putney-Wimbledon section so they were used on the shuttles on that bit of the line on that occasion. After the line reopened, a speed restriction over the bridge remained in place for several years although I think it was gradually increased.

Status
Not open for further replies.