• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR - Trainee Train Drivers - Various (16/01/24)

steveo43

Afternoon all,

Just in case anyone is interested, SWR are advertising for various vacancies for trainee drivers across the network. Looks like the closing date is 31st Jan. They have only been posted today. Like most of these positions, do not leave it too long if you are going to apply. Best of luck to anyone applying.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jimbo12345

Are SWR still a national pass? Shame Waterloo isn’t avail, seems like the only depot not avail

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Hi mate,

Where are they recruiting I can't see anything online?
Bournemouth, Fratton, Guildford, Salisbury, Strawberry Hill and Woking.

Trainee Train Driver - Salisbury
  • Permanent - Full Time
  • Salisbury
South Western Railway£70,000 - £80,000Train DriverSouth West
Trainee Train Driver - Woking
  • Permanent - Full Time
  • Woking
South Western Railway£70,000 - £80,000Train DriverSouth East
Trainee Train Driver - Bournemouth
  • Permanent - Full Time
  • Bournemouth
South Western Railway£70,000 - £80,000Train DriverSouth West
Trainee Train Driver - Guildford
  • Permanent - Full Time
  • Guildford
Trainee Train Driver - Fratton
  • Permanent - Full Time
  • Portsmouth
Trainee Train Driver - Strawberry Hill
  • Permanent - Full Time
  • Strawberry Hill
South Western Railway£70,000 - £80,000Train DriverLondon

Are SWR still a national pass? Shame Waterloo isn’t avail, seems like the only depot not avail
Basingstoke, Farnham, Feltham, Northam, Staines, Weymouth, Wimbledon and Yeovil are other mainline locations not listed for applications, as well as Waterloo.

steveo43

Hi mate,

Where are they recruiting I can't see anything online?
Hi,
They have changed the careers website a bit..... Try www.firstgroupcareers.com. Once you are in click on the 3 lines on the top right, hopefully it should bring up a search box, then type in trainee train driver, hopefully this then should take you to the job's or another idea, type South Western Railway careers into Google and try and enter the site that way. It's definitely not as easy to navigate as it used to be..... Hopefully this helps a little.

All have them have now gone from the website it seems.
You seem to be right, they have all now 100% gone.

I’ve never seen that many vacancies up and then be pulled so quick.

Something isn’t right so will be interesting to see if they come back as quickly as they were pulled.

Salesy

I half completed the Fratton one, typed out all the competency stuff and by the time I clicked on the equality bit it had timed out. Just about managed to copy/paste my answers into the Salisbury one in time!

geeBRz

Hi,

I tried to apply to Woking, upon hitting the submit I was shown the timeout error. Checking the homepage it shows that the jobs were withdrawn very quickly. So I opted for Guildford and had even less time! Didn’t manage it this time.. perhaps they’ll pop up again. Good luck all those who applied.

Samzino

Maybe they had enough internal fills too, same stuff happens on the depot driver ones especially Wimbledon. Wasn't any Waterloo tho which is the only depot I'm in distance of :lol:

Driver121

They have big backlog of interest from internal staff putting their name on the list for the position..

DMckduck97

Still available for Internal
Internal always stays up until the application close date. And it is all change as they've closed the waiting list that previously existed for internals and now its a case of apply on job advertisement

Mabs

Internal always stays up until the application close date. And it is all change as they've closed the waiting list that previously existed for internals and now its a case of apply on job advertisement
So there is no longer a waiting list for internals like before?

DMckduck97

So there is no longer a waiting list for internals like before?
Wouldn't say it no longer exists as such, there may be some people still on a list of some sort. But there is no waiting list to join now its a case of apply when the role comes up.

Internal driver recruitment was recently under quite the microscope from what I've heard

Jungie1799

Hey all! Does anyone have an idea of what psychometric tests are done with SWR for the Trainee Train Driver role?

I have done a key word search on the forum and found a reply from 2020 that mentioned: “TRP, Group Bourdon, TEA-Occ, WAFV, ATAVT, WCT, 2Hand, Colour Vision”.

Does anyone know how up to date that information is? Many thanks :)

Jungie1799

Yep. Don’t ask me how it’s so quick but yeah

No, actual proper tests.
Oh wow lucky you, I have had an email on Friday from them telling me they want to put me on an assessment day in the near future, but they did not give me a specific date.
I assume they are doing it by order of application then.

kajojek3232

Oh wow lucky you, I have had an email on Friday from them telling me they want to put me on an assessment day in the near future, but they did not give me a specific date.
I assume they are doing it by order of application then.
I am kind of shocked that it’s happening this quickly. Either way I’m as nervous as it gets but also extremely excited.

Anyone else heard anything?

Passed the computer tests today. They’re genuinely lovely people in their HR and really helpful at helping you remain calm.

Last edited: