• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR TV Advertising

Status
Not open for further replies.

There may already be a thread so apologies, SWR are currently airing a TV advertising campaign, I expect in the Meridian area only, which features a train running "wrong line", it may go unnoticed by most viewing public. This is not the first time First Group adverts have shown this, in their GWR "cartoon" advert the train/s also ran "wrong line". One might have hoped that when the advert was approved for broadcast someone with some operating knowledge would spot this or am I being a pedant, answers on a postcard?!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Perhaps it's making good use of bi-directional signalling on a Sunday morning? 8-)

HH

Established Member
I vote for pedantry. Does it matter a whit to the audience it's aimed at?

dctraindriver

There may already be a thread so apologies, SWR are currently airing a TV advertising campaign, I expect in the Meridian area only, which features a train running "wrong line", it may go unnoticed by most viewing public. This is not the first time First Group adverts have shown this, in their GWR "cartoon" advert the train/s also ran "wrong line". One might have hoped that when the advert was approved for broadcast someone with some operating knowledge would spot this or am I being a pedant, answers on a postcard?!
Yeah just chill out, bigger fish to fry...

theironroad

Established Member
The train footage in the ad is so brief that I didn't even pick up on it initially.

Not a bad ad, though think the gwr 'five' ads are much better.

Swr really need to do some of the promos and deals that swt did to get people on their days out.

Alas, financial and performance reasons probably mean they don't want to overdo it...

Steddenm

Isn't the footage just reversed, same as in Paddington 24/7 when the HSTs are running towards the camera with red lights showing on arrival into Paddington?

Kite159

Veteran Member
The train footage in the ad is so brief that I didn't even pick up on it initially.

Not a bad ad, though think the gwr 'five' ads are much better.

Swr really need to do some of the promos and deals that swt did to get people on their days out.

Alas, financial and performance reasons probably mean they don't want to overdo it...

Agreed, return to the flat fare day returns which will be more appealing than cut-price advance tickets to some groups who might not necessary know what time they are coming back. For example a family day trip to London.

They did something over Christmas I think, but mostly London to certain places (Salisbury, Winchester, Portsmouth)

I vote for pedantry. Does it matter a whit to the audience it's aimed at?
:D

Agreed, return to the flat fare day returns which will be more appealing than cut-price advance tickets to some groups who might not necessary know what time they are coming back. For example a family day trip to London.

They did something over Christmas I think, but mostly London to certain places (Salisbury, Winchester, Portsmouth)
Agree it's about time they did some media marketing and ticketing though it may be a sign of desperation after the financial horse has bolted!

RichT54

Isn't the footage just reversed, same as in Paddington 24/7 when the HSTs are running towards the camera with red lights showing on arrival into Paddington?

I think the footage has been reversed by flipping it from left to right. I took a frame from the video and zoomed in on the first coach and then flipped it back. The writing on the slide of the coach is very fuzzy, but I can just about convince myself that it reads "South Western Railway" the correct way round on my image, compared to the way round it is in the video.

Taunton

Established Member
I sometimes wonder if, in semi-humorous items like this, they do it deliberately, to catch attention. After all, a train running wrong line is just about achievable. But the Egyptian Mummy walking out of the museum? Whatever do you think Museumforums.co.uk is currently saying about that?

I'm surprised that nobody has picked up that in the closing shot the sea lion on the platform has crossed the yellow line ...

Status
Not open for further replies.