• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWT 1st Class Weekend Supplement

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
If I sit in 1st class with a standard ticket and the guard does not come round to check tickets, I guess I do not have to pay the 1st class supplement?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

First class

Established Member
However, technically, if you were to alight at a staffed station, you are liable to pay the correct fare for your journey.

May be hard to enforce, even impossible, so you would get away with it usually.

However, you are committing fare evasion and if you got off at a staffed station knowing you hadn't paid correctly- that is deliberately avoiding paying the correct fare, which could be a day in court.

The only way it could be enforced though is plain clothes RPIs sitting in First waiting for you to get off.

royaloak

Established Member
today I will mostly be at home decorating
So similar to going into a petrol station, filling the car up and because the attendant doesnt come to you to get the money you just drive out, as of course it is the responsibility of the attendant to take the money not yours to go and pay!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
So I would have to find the guard to pay the supplement?
No, you don't have to.

In theory you must pay at your destination (or interchange station if there is sufficient time between connections without you missing your onward train, where applicable).

If TOCs decide that barriers are the way forward instead of on-train checks, then they risk people only being valid at the barrier stations and not valid during the journey. The TOCs think barriers are wonderful, but in reality they are not!

However, technically, if you were to alight at a staffed station, you are liable to pay the correct fare for your journey.

May be hard to enforce, even impossible, so you would get away with it usually.

However, you are committing fare evasion and if you got off at a staffed station knowing you hadn't paid correctly- that is deliberately avoiding paying the correct fare, which could be a day in court.

The only way it could be enforced though is plain clothes RPIs sitting in First waiting for you to get off.

...A plain clothes PRI who has magical powers to see through leather

Kurayami

I've used there deal on weekends and i tend to find normaly when leaving london the guard will check first class but then not again, As its only £5 I dont have a problem paying the supliment but they advertise to upgrade on the train. As lets face it rather frustrating if you upgrade at the station then find the First Class Accomodation is full.

moonrakerz

That would be interesting in Court !

The defence could make a very good case of "entrapment" here.

Deliberately not checking of tickets by guard.
RPIs on train, again, deliberately not checking tickets.
Passenger has no option but to leave the train without having paid the supplement.

Therefore the deliberate actions of the train company has brought this "offence" about !

Last edited:

LondonLarry

The defence could make a very good case of "entrapment" here.

I don't think you could class it as "entrapment". No one is being persuaded to commit a criminal offence for personal gain.

If it ever got to court, the judge would question why the RPI didn't make an attempt to check the passenger's ticket. If they could supply a satisfactory answer, the case would be thrown out.

If the guard doesn't check your ticket, then the passenger isn't to blame. We don't actually know why the guard didn't check tickets. It's possible he didn't have an Avantix terminal; it wasn't working or the train was too busy to check tickets.

ascotphill

If you travel at the weekends and bank hols, SWT offer a weekend first upgrade for £5 per person per direction. You dont buy these at the station. Just take a seat and the guard will sell you the upgrade on the train.

If you travel on the weekday and you have a std class ticket and choose to travel in 1st you will most likely have to buy a new 1st class ticket. The guard may decide to offer you a excess if the ticket office was closed or you asked them before sitting in first class.

From the website :

Weekend First Upgrade
Upgrade from Standard Class to First Class, at weekends and public holidays, for just £5.00 per peson. Just take a seat in First Class and buy your upgrade from the Guard. (The upgrade is not available for Advance ticket holders.)

Hope this is of use.

jon0844

Veteran Member
If you sat in First Class, then got off and left the station through a gateline - how would anyone know the ticket in the machine wasn't a first class ticket?

Will the plain clothed RPI that opted to sit in first class (can they do this?) chase after you and say 'STOP! Let me see that ticket!'. No, they'd have to assume it was a FC ticket!

Now I was on SWT and saw the guard come out from the rear doors to chat with the buffet trolley girl for ages - and enjoy a couple of cups of tea. He never came to check our tickets (which were Gold Card FC supplements - also £5), although on the earlier leg of the journey we had been checked twice by other staff that had been replaced.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Quite. The only way any member of staff can know if someone is sitting in First Class with a Standard Class ticket is to inspect the ticket on the train, when the customer is in FC!

Status
Not open for further replies.