• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWT Assessment and interview process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverthorne94

Hello everyone!
This is my first post on here so I'm a bit nervous haha :oops:

I've recently applied for a ticket office position in Berrylands for South west trains and yesterday received the letter saying they want to invite me to the assessment!!! :D
Looking at the practise booklet they sent, some of the stuff looks pretty hard and I'm getting quite scared I won't be able to answer most of the questions on the actual day (which is 6th December by the way! :p).
So anyway.... I'm just asking if I could get some advice for what I can expect on the day... On the letter it said to arrive at 9am for a 10am start, what is it that we would do for that hour? :s
I'm just really panicing because I really want this position and wanted to build up a lot of know how before I go there. Just wish I could go and see the place beforehand but for me the train ticket is a lot to pay just to have a look when I would be getting it free on the day!

And so after the assessment process (if i pass that stage) what can i expect from the interview? Is there role play included too?.. I personally don't like role play and get 10x more nervous! haha. How long did the interview last for and what type of questions were asked?
Hmmmmm I think that's it for now on what I what to find out about but I might think of some more later on!! (Sorry for the long post too!)
I appreciate taking time to read all though this!!! :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
I dont want to scare you off from going to the assessment day but if you are nervous in a role playing excercise then I wonder how you would be in front of real passengers and all the crap that they throw at you too.

You get there an hour early so they can book you in and maybe fill out some more forms and say hello to your fellow candidates - beware - you may also being watched to see how you intergrate with them from the word go, so be friendly with them too.

Just keep practicing the test paper they gave you - Its just simple logical stuff aand is not trying to catch you out but to find out your ability to problem solve - and whilst under pressure(timing).

If they do role play then it will just be a situation and they will give you time to prepare - basic Customer service interaction stuff. I cant tell you what they will ask but again, these will be general questions about when oyu done something good , when did you do something under pressure. Again, as with all interviews, these are to ascertain how you will do when in the booking office - as depending where it is you may be alone.

And please, get a good nights sleep the night before, LISTEN to every instruction and what they are saying to you - Ive had too many come for our interviews tired and not listening to instructions and thats not what we are looking for.

Dont be nervous and the best of luck to you.

desi

Hi Silverthorne94,

I had an assessment with SWT for a CO3 Role a few weeks ago. It is held in Southampton. I too live in Wandsworth!

I would say get there for about 9:30 with all of your correct documents and you will be OK. Just remember to catch the 8:12 train from Clapham Junction.

I am still waiting for an interview. I am pretty sure your interview will be held on a different date, but confirm with one of the recruitment staff at SWT. They are quite helpful.

Just practice the assessment material and you will be ok. Remember try to get as many right in a short time period, but don't try to do too many and get them all wrong. There you would lose marks.

Any questions just IM me. I also have my assessment materials from my CO3 Assessment. You can grab them from me if you want more advanced material.

Silverthorne94

I dont want to scare you off from going to the assessment day but if you are nervous in a role playing excercise then I wonder how you would be in front of real passengers and all the crap that they throw at you too.

You get there an hour early so they can book you in and maybe fill out some more forms and say hello to your fellow candidates - beware - you may also being watched to see how you intergrate with them from the word go, so be friendly with them too.

Just keep practicing the test paper they gave you - Its just simple logical stuff aand is not trying to catch you out but to find out your ability to problem solve - and whilst under pressure(timing).

If they do role play then it will just be a situation and they will give you time to prepare - basic Customer service interaction stuff. I cant tell you what they will ask but again, these will be general questions about when oyu done something good , when did you do something under pressure. Again, as with all interviews, these are to ascertain how you will do when in the booking office - as depending where it is you may be alone.

And please, get a good nights sleep the night before, LISTEN to every instruction and what they are saying to you - Ive had too many come for our interviews tired and not listening to instructions and thats not what we are looking for.

Dont be nervous and the best of luck to you.

Thanks for the reply Clip!! In reply to what you said I have previously worked in supermakets so interaction with customers just comes naturally to me. I really love london's transport industry and for me, to find a job that mixes customer service and trains would be great!! With roleplays, i feel like it is just staged which then makes me feel like I'm being judged on how well I can act...... I don't know, I just don't like them! :(

Ah okay, thank you for the information! I will be sure to try my hardest and revise my ass off!
Oh, after reading the last paragraph I take it you work for SWT already and conduct interviews? That's exciting and I feel happy that I can actually get some advice from the other perspective!!

Hi Silverthorne94,

I had an assessment with SWT for a CO3 Role a few weeks ago. It is held in Southampton. I too live in Wandsworth!

I would say get there for about 9:30 with all of your correct documents and you will be OK. Just remember to catch the 8:12 train from Clapham Junction.

I am still waiting for an interview. I am pretty sure your interview will be held on a different date, but confirm with one of the recruitment staff at SWT. They are quite helpful.

Just practice the assessment material and you will be ok. Remember try to get as many right in a short time period, but don't try to do too many and get them all wrong. There you would lose marks.

Any questions just IM me. I also have my assessment materials from my CO3 Assessment. You can grab them from me if you want more advanced material.

Thank you for replying Desi! :)
Oh you had your assessment already? How do you think it went? Good luck on the outcome!
Well, I have to get there for 9:00, so when I looked on the train times, the only train I could get was one that arrives at Southampton for 7:57 (I think) so I will have about an hour to find somewhere to find to sit and possibly have breakfast....
Yeah, I've been trying the questions and I think I might be getting a bit better! :D Well, I hope I am anyway hehe.
Be sure to message me if you got the interview stage or not! Good luck again!!
And yeah I'll message you in abit, that would be helpful!!

Lrd

Established Member
Well, I have to get there for 9:00, so when I looked on the train times, the only train I could get was one that arrives at Southampton for 7:57 (I think) so I will have about an hour to find somewhere to find to sit and possibly have breakfast....
Yeah I would be there by 0900 if it said to be there by 0900, you don't want to be late.

If you want to kill time for an hour, then there is an Upper Crust/Pumpkin/Pasty Co/WH Smiths on the station. Outside the station, on the Platform 1 side (the side the assessment centre is on) then there is a Costa coffee directly opposite, a Co-op on the corner, a subway next to it and a cafe next to that. Or if you want to head into town then there is a free bus (journey time is about 2mins to get to Asda/Marlands shopping centre, it's up a steep hill) from the Platform 4 side where you will find lots to do.

Good luck with your assessments, don't think about them too much, just let it all flow and believe in yourself. If you aren't sure on anything then just ask, they are there to help you to do your best.

Just a few pointers for someone who has been there and done it.

If it says be there for 09:00, be there for 09:00! Actually, be there for 08:55! The hour is used to collect and copy all of the documents you are asked to take. Make sure you have everything on the list...

Dress smart, shirt, tie and smart trousers as a minimum. I've seen too many people turn up for these things in trainers and tracksuit bottoms. Also, get plenty of rest the night before.

There is no roleplay :D (there wasn't when I did it anyhow). If you pass the assessment then you will have to sit an interview at another date. The assessment should only last a couple of hours and consists of 3 tests.

Just relax, be yourself and engage with the other people there. The recruitment team are a lovely bunch ;).

If there is anything else I can help with then send me a pm.

Clip

Established Member
Thanks for the reply Clip!! In reply to what you said I have previously worked in supermakets so interaction with customers just comes naturally to me. I really love london's transport industry and for me, to find a job that mixes customer service and trains would be great!! With roleplays, i feel like it is just staged which then makes me feel like I'm being judged on how well I can act...... I don't know, I just don't like them! :(

Ah okay, thank you for the information! I will be sure to try my hardest and revise my ass off!
Oh, after reading the last paragraph I take it you work for SWT already and conduct interviews? That's exciting and I feel happy that I can actually get some advice from the other perspective!!

I never reveal who I work for on here but I have been around a couple of TOCs interviewing and its the same at all I have been too so I see no reason why it wont be different for them either.

Roleplays are meant to be staged because you are being judged on how you act hence why its nice to get candidates in early before the get go to assess them therre also - whether they do this or not who knows!

leonardos84

Dont worry man its nowt major....just practice ur mathematics...cos thats where people fail more...Be cal and ya will be fine.

Stigy

Established Member

I hate role play but am completely different with the real thing. Unless using actors, which SWT don't do anymore I don't think, it's a false situation no matter how you dress it up, and that makes it more awkward.

leonardos84

I hate role play but am completely different with the real thing. Unless using actors, which SWT don't do anymore I don't think, it's a false situation no matter how you dress it up, and that makes it more awkward.

Just so you know there is no role play for the ticket office positions....Just assessmets and if you successful you go for final interview at the station wgere you applied for.....Strawberry hill should be under richmond or kingston....so your interview should be there...just to say again...there is no role play..so stop stressing about it.

Brightdoll

Hello everyone!
This is my first post on here so I'm a bit nervous haha :oops:

I've recently applied for a ticket office position in Berrylands for South west trains and yesterday received the letter saying they want to invite me to the assessment!!! :D
Looking at the practise booklet they sent, some of the stuff looks pretty hard and I'm getting quite scared I won't be able to answer most of the questions on the actual day (which is 6th December by the way! :p).
So anyway.... I'm just asking if I could get some advice for what I can expect on the day... On the letter it said to arrive at 9am for a 10am start, what is it that we would do for that hour? :s
I'm just really panicing because I really want this position and wanted to build up a lot of know how before I go there. Just wish I could go and see the place beforehand but for me the train ticket is a lot to pay just to have a look when I would be getting it free on the day!

And so after the assessment process (if i pass that stage) what can i expect from the interview? Is there role play included too?.. I personally don't like role play and get 10x more nervous! haha. How long did the interview last for and what type of questions were asked?
Hmmmmm I think that's it for now on what I what to find out about but I might think of some more later on!! (Sorry for the long post too!)
I appreciate taking time to read all though this!!! :D
Hi

I have an assessment to attend in Southampton for Ticket Office clerk. Have I received the practice booklet, 3 tests will be given on the day out the book. I know which tests I have to practice for.

For all who have been there and done it can you share your experience on what I should be expecting on the day?

Will there just be assessments or interview as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.